n+1 pedelec bike with throttle required.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
My wife has a Kalkhoff Agattu ebike which she loves to ride - although the motor gets a bad press for reliability we have had no problems with ours so far. However she has very limited strength and finds many hills which she simply cannot ride up with the pedelec system on the Kakhoff. We often cycle in North Wales where there is a choice of busy main roads or very steep small lanes. When she is riding in Cheshire this is rarely a problem! I have posted before about ways of modifying the Kalkhoff to give her more power - the bike clearly has the power but will not share it with her unless she can pedal harder herself!

Before having the Agattu she had a throttle controlled bike and was unhappy with this because of the difficulty of getting some exercise at the same time as getting around the route she was following. She often cycles with groups and needs to be able to keep up and get home.

So it seems that what she needs is a bike which has both a Pedelec system ( for normal use) and a throttle ( for steep or long hills).

So I am looking for a bike which has

a) Pedelec and throttle control
b) Crank Drive
c) Step through frame
d) Range of 70 miles ( her Kalkhoff has a 17AH battery)
e) Hub gears

I would welcome any suggestions.

One I have looked at is the Woosh Santana http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-2018 which ticks the first four boxes but does not have a hub gear option so far as I can see.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
You can have the Santana with 17AH battery for £50 more.
The throttle helps with hill start, reducing the need for hub gear. If you have hub gear on another bike, it's possible to swap the gears around.
Thanks for that, good point about the hub gears being less necessary when there is a throttle. Southend is a long way away from The Wirral - is there anywhere nearer we could fix a test ride?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Southend is a long way away from The Wirral - is there anywhere nearer we could fix a test ride?
I'll ask Hatti when she is back on Tuesday.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the information, and we have now had a test ride on one of the Santana CD bikes. We are a little confused about the battery situation - there is nothing we can find on your web site which indicates that you have a 17AH battery for the bikes with a rack mounted battery, nor on your on-line shop. We will give you a ring next week to see if we can clarify this before ordering.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the information, and we have now had a test ride on one of the Santana CD bikes. We are a little confused about the battery situation - there is nothing we can find on your web site which indicates that you have a 17AH battery for the bikes with a rack mounted battery, nor on your on-line shop. We will give you a ring next week to see if we can clarify this before ordering.
So they do have the info online

here

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3

However, and this may be the first "bad" word I have ever said on these forums against Woosh, their website isn't particularly easy to navigate or understand compared to many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
So they do have the info online
here
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3
Hi Kirstin - thanks, and yes, but!
Firstly that isn't the bike I was interested in - the Santana CD is a quite different bike to the Santana3 you have provided the link for. One is a hub motor and the other a crank motor. Here is the correct one http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-2018
However this refers to a 15AH battery and it was said earlier in this thread that a 17AH battery was available for an extra £50. It was this that I couldn't find either on the web site or the on line shop.