Nano Brompton - Bosch battery not charging. What to do?

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
My Brommie was converted just over 3 years ago. Still on the original Bosch 4 amp-hr battery, though had to get a new charger in January after the original died. All went well till last week. I'd run the battery down to the flashing red light level. Putting it on the charger, that also gave a red flashing light. The book of words said, 'voltage too low' despite it still showing about 32v on the multi-meter. So I parallel charged it from the 36v battery off one of my other bikes for a minute or two. That did the trick and it charged up nicely on the charger.

A few days and miles later, time to top up the charge. Sticking the battery on the charger, this time a continuous red light. 'Temperature out of range' said the book of words. Palpable nonsense - but where do I go from here?

Tried contacting Nano for advice, by e-mail and then phone - but to date, several days later - no reply (not like them at all but we're in unusual times...), so, before shelling out for a replacement battery, thought I'd first come to this forum for any advice or suggestions.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's out of balance, probably because one of the cells is knackered. You have to open it up, measure each cell pair, then charge the low one on it's own with a single cell charger or something similar. You get get 7Ah if you replace the cells with the latest types.

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Thanks to vfr400 for such a prompt response. Had an inkling a duff cell might be the case and your diagnosis confirms this I think.

Taking the battery apart and certainly welding in new cells is way beyond me but you've helped clarify for me what to do.

Once again, my thanks.

Advertisers