Nearly a Donor

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
My mate was following me the other day and this happened. This was a close call and another inch I would have been a donor if he would have clipped me with his mirror I would have probably fell in front of the oncoming car. He was revving his van behind all the time. You cannot go more to the middle as the cars coming from the opposite direction sometimes take the bend wide.

Makes you laugh that when he got past me the lights were red in front of him so he had to stop. Just an everyday incident caught on camera. At least if I had died and he done a runner we would have video evidence. I think I will have to buy a camera for when I’m following my mate just in case he becomes a donor.

Kev's near death experience - YouTube

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A thoughtless lunatic, clearly one of those who doesn't think bikes should be on the road. It couldn't be said to be careless, it was dangerous driving by any standard.

spiritburner

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2012
Sitges, Espana
If you cant get the number you should be able to trace it from the logo on the offside door panel, that will probably come out better if you examine the film frame by frame. Not sure what the rules are in the uk, in Spain you have to give a minimum of 1.5 metres clearance to cyclists, if you dont have that clearance you cant over/undertake legally. Idiots over here still ignore the rules but on the whole its not too bad. A very close shave. Glad youre ok.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Blimey - stupidly dangerous

Glad you are ok

if you are able to upload or otherwise get a copy of the full-res clip to me (just the bit with the van in) then I'd be happy to assit in identifying the plate and logo/business

I've got a few tricks up my sleeve in this area :)

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for your comments. Close call eh.

Spitburner I wouldn’t know about the minimum clearance distance on undertaking or overtaking in the UK but perhaps someone can enlighten us.

KirstinS I know it’s a Swindon Council Services Van from the logo anyway PM with your email address then I can send the Hi Res clip a bit more cropped. I expect the police have tools for this if I was killed.

If I manage to get the Registration then what options are available? Anyone know?

BrianSmithers

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2011
DA1
If I manage to get the Registration then what options are available? Anyone know?
I think you should take yourself off to the local nick and show (then give) them the video. The recent jailing of that Bristol bus driver should spur plod into investigating this. You could also send it to the Times for their bike safely campaign - especially if you don't hear from plod pretty sharpish.

Local plod to me weren't too interested in a cyclist being thumped by a car driver until the video went viral - then they were forced to take action.

This was so dangerous an act I wouldn't let the pillock get away with it.

- Brian.

spiritburner

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2012
Sitges, Espana
Show it to the traffic division of your local police and ask them what they can do, they will advise whether he has committed an offence and what options are available. Its probably the only way you will get anywhere without involving any cost to your self. I am still amazed that you were not sucked in and knocked off!

People need to take action to make motorists sit up and take notice.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I would suggest that the minimum you should do would be to report the driver to his employer . That way , he will be disciplined , and will make him and his fellow drivers think twice next time .

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Just showed it to my missus and all she was interested in was the life insurance and am I all paid up LOL. Just noticed the big artic coming up behind the car on the opposite side. Now if it was a bit later? perhaps I am more than lucky?

daudi

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2011
Kent, UK
I had something like this last week but did not have a camera. I'd be interested to know how the police react.

My incident was on the inside lane of a two lane roundabout. I was heading round to take the third exit (3 o'clock, assuming I was entering at 6 o'clock) and he overtook me in the same lane to head off at the second exit. In doing
so he forced me out into the outer lane to avoid colliding with him and
I had to show to almost a stop in the roundabout. I was not in the right frame of mind to get his number plate.

I have a friend in the police who says that just reporting it without evidence or a witness won't go anywhere, and she's going to find out if video would help. If it would I think I'll get one.

So it will be interesting and useful to see how they react to your video.
--

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hurricane

Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2010
Perthshire
Must have been pretty close to your mate too. That's nearly two donor's then.

Glad you are both okay.

C

Cyclezee

This is in no way meant to be funny, but that almost an undertaking manoeuvre in every sense of the word.

I do hope that driver gets what he deserves.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
love the whispered "idiot" .... great camera work! .. imagine what it'll be like in the future when we can have multiple cameras built into our bikes. You'd have a front, rear, left side, right side as well as your helmut cam... can't wait ...

Last edited:

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Not sure what the rules are in the uk, in Spain you have to give a minimum of 1.5 metres clearance to cyclists,
Over here, typically, we have only the recommendation of the Highway Code, which unfortunately is very badly drafted. The recommendation is that overtaking vehicles should afford a cyclist the same clearance as they would to another car, and this is accompanied by an illustration clearly showing that the intention is that the cyclist be treated as an obstruction 2 meters or so wide.

Unfortunately, discussions on other forums have shown that many people interpret it as "miss the cyclist by a wing-mirror's width, the same as you do when passing another car" ...

Riche

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2011
I was following kev and yeah the driver of the van got very close to me too but I thought he was going to take kev (donkeydoo) out. It was a very close call. Thats why I bought the cam .. Something happens every week.
The camera is a HDmax btw and that was filmed in 720p@60fps I think.

Riche

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi

I've PM'd you my email address, if you chuck over the clip I'll see what I can do to assist over the weekend (wont get time till then I'm afraid)

cheers
Kirstin

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
quick update. My lad who knows a copper has showed him the clip said I should report him for dangerous driving. He said the problem is if you get the Reg etc who was driving at the time as it is a commercial/business vehicle. Lets see if I can get a reg from kirstin and go from there. I told my mate (Rich) next time follow the vehicle in question and make sure you get the Reg LOL. He was nearly hit too.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Glad your ok,after hitting the deck slipping on oil at about 8mph it hurts....but would he could have done dosen't bear thinking about. They should be prosecuted.

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
We have started the ball rolling and sent the footage to swindon council. No reply yet. Keep you posted.