Neck pain due to improper cycling

vasilievnaaaa

Banned
Jun 3, 2021
I started cycling and started having neck pains. I turned to the doctor for help and he said that it was due to improper cycling. He prescribed me medications but I do not want to use them as it could harm my health. In addition, the doctor advised me to purchase an orthopedic pillow. I do not know which one is better to choose as there are many options on the Internet. I found such a neck support pillow. Will it help me get rid of the pain?
can you give me useful advice in this area and answer my questions. It is very important for me!

Last edited by a moderator:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Neck pain is pretty common from riding with too low handlebars ... low wind resistance and much quicker as racing cyclists show, but leaves neck in a horrible position. (I don't know how prevalent bad necks are for racing cyclists.) Traditional sit up and beg riding position should help.

My wife and I both have buckwheat pillows (https://www.browfarmonlinestore.co.uk/product-category/buckwheat-sleep-pillows/). I don't think they are specifically sold as orthopedic, but they give very good support and can easily and almost instantly be shaped to different sleeping positions, and they are also relatively cool. Memory foam tends to be sweaty, and good a moulding to one position, but not good at quickly adapting to different ones.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
buckwheat pillows? I haven't heard of this before. did it help you?
Yes, but neither of us had serious neck issues, more just stiff neck sometimes. We got them more because they are better than most at keeping cool.

There is a small downside, they are quite heavy.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I suffered quite badly with this. Doctor said it was arthritus in top joints of the spine and also just prescribed painkillers - what, for the rest of my life? I don't think so.
So I put a stem extender on my bike, this raises the level of the bars. Then I fitted some Onone Mary bars instead of straight ones. The Mary bars are swept back turning the hands and wrists in slightly whilst keeping the forward reach about the same. This is a more natural position and allows you to ride with less weight on the arms and with unlocked elbows. Result is there is less shock transference to the neck and shoulders.
The other thing I did was found a really good sports masseur. Over several sessions he gradually worked out long standing imbalances in my neck and back. It cost a bit but now I only have to go a couple of times a year and it's way better than taking pain killers with all their potential side effects.

Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
So I put a stem extender on my bike, this raises the level of the bars. Then I fitted some Onone Mary bars instead of straight ones.
I second that (a good way to achieve sit up and beg). We did similar for our tandem; stem extender plus new bars. Our bars are riser bars for yet more height as well as swept back.

The bars we chose are a bit too swept back for my liking, but much better than the straight ones.

Straight bars are good for mountain bike style control, but not for comfort; I think it is silly how many bikes come with straight bars as standard.

Advertisers