Need a fast Ebike - Fiver for advice

urdd2me

Just Joined
May 7, 2019
Hey

I’ve been looking for a fast, sleek, stealthy ebike for quite a few days now and got a massive headache in doing so. Willing to PayPal somebody a Fiver (£5) for pointing me to the right bike.

It has to comfortably cruise at 25mph and be able to reach speeds of 35-40mph as well as not draw too much attention as I’ll be taking it into the city on a regular basis and do not want to be pulled over.
Clarification! I am a very experienced rider. Very cautious and very fast. I’ve been riding bikes for over 16 years and worked as a bicycle courier for 2 years when I was 18.
I can reach speeds of up to 30mph on my road bike but I am not riding for sport. I simply hate public transport and riding an ebike is all about getting from A to B as fast as possible. I commute home late at night usually around 4 am when there is absolutely no traffic and need something fast.

I currently own a Gocycle G2 and love it’s minimal look, high tech features and build quality
(25mph top speed, no logos, not too many cables and visible parts etc…) .
I also really liked some of the high-end bikes from Trek (Trek Super Commuter+ 8s in red), Specialized (Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 in glossy yellow) and Stromer bikes. Also Grace One (German speed pedelec)
Not sure if any of these can be derestricted to reach those speeds.

Ideally looking for something with powerful integrated lights which are powered by the battery back and have nicely routed cables and nicely integrated battery. Something with a rear brake light which comes on when pulling the brakes.

Ideally, I’d like to spend less than £1500 for something second hand but willing to spend £3000 or even up to £4000 for something truly exceptional.

Regards P

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For the OP's requirement a legally registered S -pedelecs is needed, for those higher speeds an ebike won't go unnoticed by traffic police.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
You don't say how far you need to travel? Any Bosch, Yamaha or Shimano steps crank drive will do with a speed-up device, racing bike style obviously so you don't stand out, more than likely you'll only need half power to cruise at 25 mph too.

An alternative to those is the Polini powered Bianchi which would probably be my choice.

They do an allroad version too which is cheaper, not checked what the difference is myself bar the obvious tyre difference.

1557219105100.png

Unlike the other motor manufacturers Polini have a refreshing attitude to speeding up their product too, although they don't state if there is a speed limit, I'm guessing it will give power to any speed, so a change to 53/39 front rings should do nicely to exploit the full potential if you find the standard top of 50x11 a bit low.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev and LeighPing

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
You want what is by definition a moped. Anything that can do the sort of speed you want using motor power (whether electric or petrol) is a moped and needs to be insured and taxed and a proper helmet must be worn. If you want something that is classed as a bicycle you have one that stops providing power at 15.5mph. If it doesn't then it is not a bicycle. See https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/advice/advice/buying-and-riding-an-s-pedelec-in-the-uk-1637

Allowing ebikes with limited speed and power to be classified as bicycles is a concession. If people insist on breaking the law I can see this concession being removed and we all end up having to tax and insure our ebikes. Maybe the law should be changed but that's the way it is today.

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Here's a road legal option that would surpass your expectations, although slightly over budget:

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also really liked some of the high-end bikes from Trek (Trek Super Commuter+ 8s in red), Specialized (Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 in glossy yellow) and Stromer bikes. Also Grace One (German speed pedelec)
Not sure if any of these can be derestricted to reach those speeds.
The Stromer ST2 and ST3 are also S class speed pedelecs, powering to 45 kph (28mph).

The S class bikes have illuminated number plate brackets and a stop light though, rather giving the game away that they should be registered as L1e-B mopeds.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
As others have said, reaching speeds of 35 to 40 mph even in the early hours of the morning are very likely to bring you to the attention of the Police so that's probably not a good idea. I like Artstu's suggestion of the Bianchi with the Polini motor and their Hi Speed device.

Apparently it fits inside the frame, I assume around where the battery is located and cannot be seen. This is unlike most of the dongle type devices that are on sale, so if anyone just looks the bike over they would not know it has been modified.

Obviously if you are involved in a serious accident on it then the accident investigation people would go over the bike with a fine tooth comb and soon ascertain that the bike had been modified. Traveling along at say 28 mph is not going to take that much longer than traveling at 35 mph, and its much less likely to have you pulled in by the Police.

Reactions: Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
As others have said, reaching speeds of 35 to 40 mph even in the early hours of the morning are very likely to bring you to the attention of the Police so that's probably not a good idea. I like Artstu's suggestion of the Bianchi with the Polini motor and their Hi Speed device.

Apparently it fits inside the frame, I assume around where the battery is located and cannot be seen. This is unlike most of the dongle type devices that are on sale, so if anyone just looks the bike over they would not know it has been modified.

Obviously if you are involved in a serious accident on it then the accident investigation people would go over the bike with a fine tooth comb and soon ascertain that the bike had been modified. Traveling along at say 28 mph is not going to take that much longer than traveling at 35 mph, and its much less likely to have you pulled in by the Police.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015