Help! Need a rear rack for battery

thomas33

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 31, 2019
Hi. I bought 36V 10Ah battery from pswpower - http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2018-ay-h9sv
Unfortunately I did not realize it will not be so easy to fit it on my normal (non battery) rear rack. Otherwise I would buy a battery with rack in other store.
The battery's bottom side is not flat - it has a "lump" in the front bottom side and there is also keyhole near there, which makes it impossible to lay on a flat surface and needs a hole for it. Before I start making some modification in my current carrier I am searching for a "more ready to use" alternative. The battery holder has metal screw threads on the bottom and the distance between these thread holes is ~7 x 17.5 cm (width x length).
Currently I have it mounted upside down - just with a large cable ties. It works but it is not so neat and it has some went holes at the bottom and in case of rain, water would leak there what is not a best option.

Anybody has some suggestions?

2019-04-01_08-52.png

thomas33

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 31, 2019
They have written there "Battery rack for our kits. Supplied only with one of our kits. Not sold on its own."
But anyway it seems it would not fit my battery.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Hi. I have similar situations with battery and often carry additional batteries connected via diodes for long journeys.
In one situation, I have a small but strong pannier in which I can carry additional batteries.
In another case, I have used the strong curved plastic from a container and curved it in front of gas heater. The plastic is attached to the ordinary lightweight alloy pannier rack with strong cable ties with the curves facing upwards, and the battery placed inwards with addition ties lacing it closed. The battery does need to be secure and no rattles.
Although the second option when battery fitted could be tidier, I am actually very pleased with this. The reason I say this is that on this particular bike, I am trying to keep its weight down as I use it cross country and sometimes have to lift bike over obstacles. Now this setup uses an alloy pannier at about 750 g plus plastic at 220g which brings the overall battery rack at less than 1 Kg. Now this compares with my other steel heavy duty (cyclotricity, two storey?) battery pannier that weighs in at about 2.5 Kg . So in terms of weight reduction, there is up to 1.5 Kg to be saved by keeping away from the cheaper heavy duty steel rear rack.
DSC0000220.jpg
DSC0000222.jpg

Last edited:

Advertisers