need info

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi all Im trying to find a manuel or more details on my electric bike its a very old bike called Philips only with 1 L not as name Phillips . I really do need to remove back wheel to fix some spokes which are broken. I have never attempted to remove back wheel or had to. I can get better pictures if required where i have marked in pink is where battery goes. It originally had lead acid batteries but i have now replaced with lithium one. I cant seem to find this bike at all on the net

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
I've never heard of the bike, but remove the panniers and take pics of the rear wheel. Should not be too complicated

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi thanks for your reply, I will sometime later take better pictures, as bike was in shed. I was a bit worried about removing wire to motor plus brakes. but will send more pictures

Leecleary89

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 14, 2019
Hi Billyboya, hope you're well?

More photos will definitely make it easier to give you a specific answer, however from my experience with my back hub wheel, its just one plug that pulls apart fairly easily. The wheel is then removed the same way as any back wheel (2 nuts, 1 either side). As mine is a disk brake there is nothing to do for the brakes however depending on your type they may just need simply unclipping if v-brake type.

Hope this helps

Lee

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Billyboya, hope you're well?

More photos will definitely make it easier to give you a specific answer, however from my experience with my back hub wheel, its just one plug that pulls apart fairly easily. The wheel is then removed the same way as any back wheel (2 nuts, 1 either side). As mine is a disk brake there is nothing to do for the brakes however depending on your type they may just need simply unclipping if v-brake type.

Hope this helps

Lee
I like your words, but you forgot that many motors have also got a mechanical "STOP", that helps prevent the motor axle from spinning when using a high torque setting.
With any powerful motor is a serious must.
Both of my bikes have one.
I have also seen the result on a friends bike after he took it off and did not replace it, the motor wires were twisted and broken!! That stopped his hill climb!!
This video shows pictures of some:-
Its called a Torque Arm Kit I believe. It works on front and rear wheel motors.
regards
Andy

Reactions: Leecleary89

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi I am definitely going to have to remove back wheel with motor, as I just noticed 4 spokes are broke. I have taken several pictures of back wheel of bike, it is a Phillips with 2 Ls not as I 1st wrote on page 1 above. I believe at some time back I saw Raleigh on bike. but its obviously worn out now. I have zipped 9 pictures hope it helps.

I just found this on a web site dont know if its same as my bike as its very old

Phillips Cycles Ltd. was a British bicycle manufacturer based in Smethwick near Birmingham, England. Its history began early in the 20th century and ended in the 1980s by which time it had become part of Raleigh Industries, itself a part of the Tube Investments group. For a number of years, the company was the second-largest bicycle producer in Britain, after Raleigh. The company motto, which was carried on all its badges, was "Renowned the World Over". The "Phillips" brand is still used around the world, especially in China and the Far East, having been licensed by Raleigh.

Attachments

Last edited:

Leecleary89

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 14, 2019
Thanks for the amendment to my post Andy-Mat, I have only owned my current 250W cyclamatic cx3 so not too clued up with regards to torque arms being used. It makes perfect sense though so I'll have a watch of that video when I get home.

Cheers,

Lee

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Thanks for the amendment to my post Andy-Mat, I have only owned my current 250W cyclamatic cx3 so not too clued up with regards to torque arms being used. It makes perfect sense though so I'll have a watch of that video when I get home.

Cheers,

Lee

have you had a chance to look at my bike pictures as had no more replies from you

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

Cheers,

Lee
Absolutely no problem, I would rather add a point someone may have missed than not!
regards
Andy

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I was hoping for a reply to my post, as I uploaded several pictures, but not heard back no more. I was hoping to remove back wheel asap as like I said above about 4 spokes are broken, and i have never removed the back wheel before. hope someone can assist me A.S.A.P. thanks all

Fingers crossed someone can help

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I was hoping for a reply to my post, as I uploaded several pictures, but not heard back no more. I was hoping to remove back wheel asap as like I said above about 4 spokes are broken, and i have never removed the back wheel before. hope someone can assist me A.S.A.P. thanks all

Fingers crossed someone can help
The reason that I haven't posted anything further is two reasons:-
1) I do not know your bike at all, except from the pictures you posted
2) I was hoping for you that someone here had firsthand knowledge - but apparently they don't.
Are you an experienced DIYer?
If the answer is yes,then simply make more pictures (clearer than some of the ones you already made by the way!), as you dismantle, even if the bit looks so simple that you think that you cannot forget how it was fitted.
Buy a white felt tip pen, fine point, and clean areas on parts that you want to mark for some reason, I use Meths, mark carefully.
Lay the parts out on a piece of old cardboard, keeping the parts in the same "row" in their order of removal. Place the cardboard where you and other cannot trip over it...
Fixing it yourself will make you really happy.
Over many years, while DIYing something, I have occasionally lost or broken a part while working. But the cost of replacement has never ever been even close to what the job would have cost from a professional, and I learned a lot!! That you cannot count as a cost!!
Best of luck,
Andy

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The reason that I haven't posted anything further is two reasons:-
1) I do not know your bike at all, except from the pictures you posted
2) I was hoping for you that someone here had firsthand knowledge - but apparently they don't.
Are you an experienced DIYer?
If the answer is yes,then simply make more pictures (clearer than some of the ones you already made by the way!), as you dismantle, even if the bit looks so simple that you think that you cannot forget how it was fitted.
Buy a white felt tip pen, fine point, and clean areas on parts that you want to mark for some reason, I use Meths, mark carefully.
Lay the parts out on a piece of old cardboard, keeping the parts in the same "row" in their order of removal. Place the cardboard where you and other cannot trip over it...
Fixing it yourself will make you really happy.
Over many years, while DIYing something, I have occasionally lost or broken a part while working. But the cost of replacement has never ever been even close to what the job would have cost from a professional, and I learned a lot!! That you cannot count as a cost!!
Best of luck,
Andy

Hi many thanks for your reply I am now about half way in removing back wheel. as this is 1st time ever I have tried to remove it since I bought it 2nd hand 4 years ago, as never had a puncture in back so been lucky, or had the need to. I cant seem to get chain off bike now to release wheel. I will post individual pictures here if it helps but Im afraid there are quite a few snaps

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi many thanks for your reply I am now about half way in removing back wheel. as this is 1st time ever I have tried to remove it since I bought it 2nd hand 4 years ago, as never had a puncture in back so been lucky, or had the need to. I cant seem to get chain off bike now to release wheel. I will post individual pictures here if it helps but Im afraid there are quite a few snaps

View attachment 31527

View attachment 31528View attachment 31529View attachment 31530View attachment 31531View attachment 31532View attachment 31533View attachment 31534View attachment 31535
Sometimes a chain has a removable link, but do make a photograph showing where it runs (or three!)
But many bikes, built in a factory, do not have this link, so you need to buy two things, a chain splitter/removal clamp that split the chain for you and the replacement link of the correct size!
I would recommend buying a complete bike toolkit, in a travel box, not expensive on ebay, you get all the special tools in one price. Buying them separately will cost at least double.
A smaller kit for underway is also a good idea.
Maybe something like this:-
You will need other tools if you are without such things, a good set of fixed spanners (never rely on adjustable ones, you can slip off, damaging you and your bike!), Allen keys, Torx keys.
Plastic and rubber mallets are also useful, doing a good job with no damage that a hammer will do....
regards
Andy

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Sometimes a chain has a removable link, but do make a photograph showing where it runs (or three!)
But many bikes, built in a factory, do not have this link, so you need to buy two things, a chain splitter/removal clamp that split the chain for you and the replacement link of the correct size!
I would recommend buying a complete bike toolkit, in a travel box, not expensive on ebay, you get all the special tools in one price. Buying them separately will cost at least double.
A smaller kit for underway is also a good idea.
Maybe something like this:-
You will need other tools if you are without such things, a good set of fixed spanners (never rely on adjustable ones, you can slip off, damaging you and your bike!), Allen keys, Torx keys.
Plastic and rubber mallets are also useful, doing a good job with no damage that a hammer will do....
regards
Andy

Hi Andy mat thanks for getting back to me. Well after a lot of struggling I have managed to remove back wheel its very heavy obviously to do with motor. on these 2 nipples on 2nd picture what I have marked with yellow circle do I just put oil in those or is it grease if so what grease. Im not sure if I have a grease gun. Im afraid I didn't take off chain, I managed to get it off. without removing chain bit tight. those cable ties in white on wheel I just did that to keep broken spokes tidy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Andy mat thanks for getting back to me. Well after a lot of struggling I have managed to remove back wheel its very heavy obviously to do with motor. on these 2 nipples on 2nd picture what I have marked with yellow circle do I just put oil in those or is it grease if so what grease. Im not sure if I have a grease gun. Im afraid I didn't take off chain, I managed to get it off. without removing chain bit tight. those cable ties in white on wheel I just did that to keep broken spokes tidy

View attachment 31551

View attachment 31552
Could be either, but they appear to me to be grease nipples. A high quality, light as possible grease and not too much.
Unscrew one and see what is under it:- Nothing = oil, grease= grease! Just being funny, sorry!!
Andy

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
hi thanks Andy, I will check those nipples for either grease or oil plus I will purchase that chain tool. I just checked wheel for broken spokes and was a bit shocked as there is 9 broken spokes I believe you measure from the bend part to tip of thread. Im just hoping there are strong spokes I can get

is it true then about measuring spokes you start from the bend to tip of thread. also whats best and strongest spokes to buy. I am really stuck now on knowing whats length of spokes to buy. the tyre is 24 x 1.75 mountain bike tyre

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You will need to buy a few spokes so remove a good spoke and measure it properly for correct length, take one from each side as they may differ by a few mm. Measure spoke thickness/diameter 12g = 2.6mm, 13g = 2.3mm & 14g = 2mm.
Sapim strong is a good spoke generally 14g/2mm diameter but is butted and has a 13g /2.3mm J bend, I use this ebay seller for bespoke cut lengths.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
hi thanks Andy, I will check those nipples for either grease or oil plus I will purchase that chain tool. I just checked wheel for broken spokes and was a bit shocked as there is 9 broken spokes I believe you measure from the bend part to tip of thread. Im just hoping there are strong spokes I can get

is it true then about measuring spokes you start from the bend to tip of thread. also whats best and strongest spokes to buy. I am really stuck now on knowing whats length of spokes to buy. the tyre is 24 x 1.75 mountain bike tyre
I have never had a spoke break, but there are experts here who can help. Make a new topic and ask just for help with spokes.
You might need a cheap vernier gauge, to measure the thickness of the present spokes.
Or give the wheel up to an expert....
I myself would be very wary of replacing spokes....
regards
Andy

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
well I have measured length of spokes and they measured 164mm so I have ordered a pack of 18 even though it's 9 bad spokes but best to have a few extras I will most likely add all of the 18 new ones and take off another 9 I have replaced spokes on another bike a while back and also had to true the wheel. so I am hoping now my problems will be solved will keep you all updated