Need some help looking for the fastest ebike to buy!

Bigjimmy85

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 26, 2018
Hello gang, I’ve recently decided to try out a ebike or pedelec over driving to work commuting. For a number of reasons. I need some help I’ll be honest I’m looking for the fastest bike out there I’ve got a 20mile round trip and need the help. Please can some one advise me of a few models to look at that would get me to 30mph plus thanks for your time!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if you got 50k they can go 200mph but only 20 mile range tho lol.

Bigjimmy85

Dec 26, 2018
Thanks for the help guys was thinking something around 1,5k that I could derestrict or tune? 40mph would be ideal hahah any suggestions?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Bigjimmy85

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Well both the premier Bosch CX and Yamaha PW mid-motors can easily be de-resticted so I understand and if you can probably pick up a Haibike with one of those in the sales at the moment for around £1500.

20 mile range shouldn't be an issue with a 500Whr battery (and nor will any hills).

Obviously you will be driving a moped without insurance etc. but I assume you know that.

Those motors have 75NM+ of torque which should mean they can get the speed up to where you want it. Also the build quality should be good enough that the bikes don't just fall to bits at increased speeds (as in some of the US market the permitted speeds are higher). You'll probably want a hybrid or cross version.

That said you could probably use an overpowered hub kit - but you will need to put it on something that is solid enough to cope with the increased stress.

Reactions: Bigjimmy85

Bigjimmy85

Dec 26, 2018
What’s u guys take on buying a cube with a dongle vs a cube bike with a conversion kit?

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
if its only a 20 mile round trip - that's 10 miles each way. A maximum speed of 20mph will get you there with only a few minutes difference, as your average speed is likely to be very similar. Its your maximum speed that provides the potential for the greatest danger. At 20mph any ebike's components will be fine. At 30mph you really need to upgrade to a s-pedelec.

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Big Jimmy,

If you get involved in an accident, a non UK law compliant E Bike will be classed as a Motor Vehicle
if used in any Public Place or Highway in the UK.

Uninsured vehicles
Rules in England, Wales and Scotland
You must have motor insurance for your vehicle if you use it on roads and in public places.
You do not need to insure your vehicle if it is kept off the road and declared as off the road (SORN). This rule is called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’.
If not, you could:
  • get a fixed penalty of £100
  • have your vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded or destroyed
  • face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum fine of £1,000
There are additional offences regarding taxation, construction and use regulations on lighting, number plates, helmets etc.

Bottom line is you could end up losing your bike and your driving licence.

Do you feel lucky?

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
regardless of the legalities, rather than thinking just about speed, take a moment to think about how you're going to stop. My legal eMTB can easily get up to 35mph going downhill but takes a lot further to stop on tarmac than the car in front of me, even on a dry road. Until ABS comes in as standard on bikes, travelling at much over 20mph, especially downhill, has got to be done with caution, unless you have a death wish...

Reactions: trevor brooker

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
regardless of the legalities, rather than thinking just about speed, take a moment to think about how you're going to stop. My legal eMTB can easily get up to 35mph going downhill but takes a lot further to stop on tarmac than the car in front of me, even on a dry road. Until ABS comes in as standard on bikes, travelling at much over 20mph, especially downhill, has got to be done with caution, unless you have a death wish...
My mate Carlos has some big b@@@s https://www.strava.com/segments/6704393

oh and my mate Arne topped 54 mph a bit lower down, I think he was a bit late for work https://www.strava.com/segments/8085697?filter=overall

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

That is not me, my hills are steeper...

Reactions: Artstu

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I often can see 35 - 45mph down hill on my ebikes. Starting with some input, gravity soon takes over to maintain a good speed. I wouldn't do this without hdb's though, but as usual rider needs to aware of conditions and there ability to stop in a safe manner.

Advertisers