Need some new handle bars

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I have osteoarthritis in my wrists and the straight bars on my new bike are making my wrists ache.
I need some bars that will let me adapt a more upright sitting position and take the weight off my wrists.
I don't want fully swept back bars....any suggestions please ?
.....Thanks....Mike

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Thi
I have osteoarthritis in my wrists and the straight bars on my new bike are making my wrists ache.
I need some bars that will let me adapt a more upright sitting position and take the weight off my wrists.
I don't want fully swept back bars....any suggestions please ?
.....Thanks....Mike
This sort of thing?

http://www.jakesbikes.co.uk/content/776.php#.V8RgMzWuqZg

or like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humpert-EWG-Upright-Swept-Back-Handlebars-Dutch-Style-RETRO-Ape-Hanger-esque-/201334193620?var=&hash=item2ee073fdd4:m:mxF5jDCzTAgluNqlG2b_C3w

I'm thinking of changing to something like these as I find the "straight" ones make me lean forward too much.

Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

Raleigh North Road
Raleigh North Rounder
Raleigh Comfort Trekking
Humpert Moon Cruiser

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
thanks guys, none of 'em look really enticing.
...need to try them all don't I :))
.....and make sure my component's 'll fit
.....cheers....Mike

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks Gringo...these look like they'll do the job and a good recommendation is better than a shed load of guesses.
....can you say if my cables 'll reach ?
.....cheers.....Mike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You will need to measure the diameter of the existing bars at the clamp to get the correct size.

Bear in mind the new bars are fairly wide, fine if they suit, but they may need a bit sawn off each end.

You can see the bars have helpful ruler marks on the ends to make chopping easier.

Reactions: Mike63

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was going to buy that bar and put it on upside down board-tracker style :) I am lucky in that I have no back problems but I understand your pain, one of my uncles had to have 3 vertebrae removed because of a similar problem.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi again....I've got the bars "NC-17" I see that they have no "splines" at the centre of the bar to help with the grip.
Will the two metal parts still bite together satisfactorily ?
.....thanks....Mike

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I really don't know what clamp is on your bike but assuming it quite modern, yes there's enough clamping force to keep everything where it should be.
Back in da olden days, handlebars were slipy shiny chrome and only held by a small single bolt clamp & straight knurling was vital !
installed correctly your new bars wont move.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Back in da olden days, handlebars were slipy shiny chrome and only held by a small single bolt clamp & straight knurling was vital !
...you're right I'd forgotten about those days.

thanks Gringo...I'll try fix 'em tomorrow.
...cheers....Mike

Advertisers