New 250W conversion....

jusmat01

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2021
Hi,

I am looking for a 250w rear hub conversion kit for a hybrid bike. I was going to go with Aikema 85 sx from Woosh, but these are probably not going to be in before Octoberish.
The other option is an XF08 which is silver and about 1kg heavier. Not exactly what I want ( for my daughter likely lifting in and out of the car).
Options are :1) just go for it, or 2)order a AKM 100 motor and build the wheel myself. I've not built a wheel before but am quite handy, and have a truing stand already.

Could I have thoughts on the reliability of: Top Bike Kit as a supplier (or any others), motor options for a black 250w hub, battery / controller options (although I would still consider Woosh, as they supply Pana/samsung cells AFAIK), comments regarding sanity of proposal......

Thanks,
Justin

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
The AKM/Q100 motor is a great little motor as long as rider is under around 80 kg. TopBikeKit are a well established seller, as good or better than others, although you may hear of bad experiences , as you will with most companies here and abroad. If you fancy having a go at building your own wheel up, go for it, it's not that difficult, esp. if you have a stand. Grin Tech have a good online spoke calculator, which I've used with good results.
This guy, who is a member on the forum has some Q100 kits in stock(I think)for a good price and he is in the UK. I would contact him first, rather than order direct from the shop.
Yosepower now have a UK shop on ebay and sell a few styles of battery. They don't sem to specify cell type anymore, so i would assume they are Chinese ones, but do offer an 18 month warranty, so must have faith in them. Not all Chinese cells are total cr#p.

• Informative
Reactions: dwvl

jusmat01

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2021
Thanks. Thats very helpful. Will investigate.
The 100c however is 350w and don't want to put my daughter on something illegal....
Some batteries seem to have an internal controller. The ones at the bike shed dont, and have an extra box. What do people do with these aesthetically, I dont recall seeing them in bike photos...

cheers

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Thanks. Thats very helpful. Will investigate.
The 100c however is 350w and don't want to put my daughter on something illegal....
Some batteries seem to have an internal controller. The ones at the bike shed dont, and have an extra box. What do people do with these aesthetically, I dont recall seeing them in bike photos...

cheers
The 250/350 motors are totally identical, just labelled differently. The sticker on the motor is very prone to falling off before your first ride ;)The 100 is so small it's never going to be seen as illegal and it's impossible to test it's nominal rated power. External controller and excess wiring can be put in box or under saddle bag. The built in controllers have one disadvantage in that they do not allow for any extra rivnut fixings in the frame for the battery, which can often be required. The water bottle ones can often be in the wrong place, so rivnuts are needed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH