New Bafang bbs 160NM!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
According to the info available it has been designed for use with mtb and sand bikes which I interpret as Fat bikes as it will fit 120mm BB as well as any other down to standard 68mm. Rated at 750w -1000w, no amps mentioned but guess it will be knocking on the door of 30amps.

Last edited:

Ken Dando

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 5, 2014
Torque on electric motors seems to be quite different to car engines. A Prius electric motor produces 67HP & 295ftlbs so should be very quick off the line but isn't. 160NM is 118ftlbs which on a bicycle sounds pretty dangerous. The 500w midmotor is quoted at 100NM. A Hayabusa motorbike only produces 140NM but 170HP & 750W is only about 1HP. I suppose human power at the pedal on a 170mm crank is about 150NM with a good push. Just thinking aloud but that new bafang motor needs a torque sensor / restrictor. Just noticed there's a MAX drive system which has a torque sensor built in but looks like it needs a custom frame. Competition for Bosch etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You're not comparing like with like. The torque is different when measured in different places. The Hayabusa is measured at the back wheel. The Prius is probably measured at the motor gearbox output shaft and the Bafang at the crank. Torque figures are meaningless unless you say where it is measured because it changes at every point in the transmission from the motor rotor to the back tyre. HP is the same wherever you measure it, but it changes with speed.

Ken Dando

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 5, 2014
I was just thinking aloud - gearing plays a big part and HP is the main difference. Torque in ftlbs = HP @ 5252 RPM so the Bafang only produces 1ftlbs at these revs??

D

Deleted member 4366

If you used the rated power in your calculation, that would be the rated torque. We know that most motors can produce two or three times the rated power, so, again, that torque figure would be meaningless. In the automobile and motorcycle industries, the figures are normally the maximum torque with the rpm at which you get it, which is much more meaningful.

For ebikes, we need the peak torque at the crankshaft and the rpm at say 60 rpm (of the crank) along with the number of teeth on the chainwheel, then it would be easy to compare different motors. Without that, the figures are meaningless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
It states "a maximum torque of 160 N.m, will provide the rider with great explosive force when starting the system."
Perhaps it should say it provides the chain with explosive force when starting!!

Reactions: Fordulike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
or it will explode.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
When (if) they become available here I will be getting one as long as there is sufficient noticeable difference between it and the current 750 watt motor which in my case already runs at a maximum of 1180 watts.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
When (if) they become available here I will be getting one as long as there is sufficient noticeable difference between it and the current 750 watt motor which in my case already runs at a maximum of 1180 watts.
What on earth are you climbing with yours lol?

I lose rear wheel traction, or my bottle, with the 750w before climbing ability!

Just out of interest, are you running a separate watt meter inline, or going off the Bafang display?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I live on the Teesdale moors so have big hills and peat bogs in all directions.
I am hauling 106Kg of me and 6Kg of batteries(48Ah).
I run Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus tyres and never had a problem with losing traction,not even in deep snow.
I use a GT Power meter to keep track of power used and battery level.

I have never broken a chain in over 2800 miles although I am onto my second 8 speed cassette as the top 2 gears started skipping so would be happy to try a bit more power.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I live on the Teesdale moors so have big hills and peat bogs in all directions.
I am hauling 106Kg of me and 6Kg of batteries(48Ah).
I run Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus tyres and never had a problem with losing traction,not even in deep snow.
Aha, I'm only running Schwalbe Land Cruisers, which haven't got the best of treads for the muddy stuff.
Plus, without meaning to sound rude, you're packing quite a few more kilos than me, so you've probably got more down force on the rear wheel to aid traction.

God, I hope that wasn't offensive to you. I'll edit it out if it is :eek:

Might give the Smart Sams a try, as the tread pattern look nice and aggressive ;)

Reactions: Kinninvie

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Reactions: Fordulike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This looks like GEN 2 of BBS02 motor. I really like the new triangular bottle battery shape they show in the kits page.