New bike advice

Glynn

Just Joined
Jan 14, 2008
Hi i am thinking of buying a electric bike as i am finding my old mountain bike a little hard riding up hills and would like to ask for any tips in picking my new bike. I live in the south wales valleys so i need a bike thats good on hills.
I am 6 foot 3 inches so i need a fairly big bike.
I will mostly use bike for leisure and i would like one that rides good without the electric power assist.
I am looking at the powacycle salisbury or if worth the extra the ezee torq but i realy like the look of the agattu kalkhoff.
Are any of these bikes ok on semi rough roads.
Thanks for reading and any help would be most welcome Glynn.

Terrytraveller

Pedelecer
May 22, 2008
Swindon
Hi Glynn,

I see your posting was last January, I wonder if you have now purchased your ebike?

I have just bought a Powacycle Lynx see link Lynx LPX Electric Folding Bike , so far very pleased with it.

If you live in a very hilly area, I would recommend a motor of at least 200 watts, 36 volt system and a li-poly battery. I have found the 180 watt 26 volt system coupled with the li-pol battery, will give enough assistance on hills for me to pedal right up them.

You might also consider the chain drive models rather than an integral hub, some chain drive models, I read - will allow the use of your gears, this would improve hill climbing ability.

Regards Terry

b3n

Just Joined
Oct 19, 2008
I emailed PowaCycle yesterday as I too am waiting on this bike so I can compare it to the Wisper 905. The response I got said it was due for release late November.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I have just bought a Powacycle Lynx see link Lynx LPX Electric Folding Bike , so far very pleased with it.

If you live in a very hilly area, I would recommend a motor of at least 200 watts, 36 volt system and a li-poly battery. I have found the 180 watt 26 volt system coupled with the li-pol battery, will give enough assistance on hills for me to pedal right up them.
Regards Terry
Hi Terry, i was wondering if your li-poly battery is the same or similar to Lipo4 that people are currently disccusing on the forum. Does the Lynx battery have a significantly longer lasting life span?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Terry, i was wondering if your li-poly battery is the same or similar to Lipo4 that people are currently disccusing on the forum. Does the Lynx battery have a significantly longer lasting life span?
I can answer here UrbanPuma. The Li-poly battery isn't the LiFePO4 type, it's a normal lithium-ion manganese battery using polymer cell construction which lasts the normal up to 500 charges.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi Glynn,
I live in Bath and I have to negotiate very steep hills on my daily commute. I have owned my Agattu for nearly a year now and I can honestly say that it has changed my life. ( check out Flecc's comprehensive review and my own humble version). It copes easily with hills ( as long as you don't mind a bit of leg power). I frequently pass students on mountain bikes and racers on my way up my steepest hill to work. What is most impressive about the bike is the quality of the build and the engineering, coupled with the reliability. The battery is still performing good as new and delivers powerful assistance to the rider. It really is a brilliant piece of kit and worth buying. I would recommend going through the cycle to work scheme. That way you'll save about 40-45% of the cost. Apart from initial delivery problems which 50cylcles have now fully resolved, I have found the company thoroughly reliable and supportive , before, during and after sale and delivery of the bike.

My only minor gripe is that it is a little heavy to lift up the many steps up to my front door. But as far as semi rough roads go, you could change the tyres to mountain bikes and you'd be fine.

If you want any more info, send me a pm and I'll fill you in.

BW
musicbooks

Advertisers