New bike advice

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
i am about to embark on a new ebike purchase to go with my currently owned cube acid......budget will be between £1500 and 2k. I'm looking at the following bikes, which one would you choose

Haibike sduro hardseven - £1749 - just found the same bike new for £1499
Bergemont Rx 5.0 ( ex demo ) - £1499
Giant dirt e+ (ex demo) - £1719 or new £1849
Giant fathom +3 - £1899

Any other recommendations.........not really interested in whoosh (sorry)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I take it you want a mountain bike.

An MTB tyre and wheelset for your Cube would be cheaper.

If it has to be another bike, one with a Bosch motor would give battery commonality with the Cube.

Yamaha motored bikes tend to be a bit cheaper, but I reckon you could find a Bosch hardtail for similar money.

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
I take it you want a mountain bike.

An MTB tyre and wheelset for your Cube would be cheaper.

If it has to be another bike, one with a Bosch motor would give battery commonality with the Cube.

Yamaha motored bikes tend to be a bit cheaper, but I reckon you could find a Bosch hardtail for similar money.
Already got the spare wheels and tyres..........so yes it's a new bike as I like to have two available to ride. The bergemont is Bosch performance cx with same battery as the cube, its the ex demo that's putting me off at the mo

It's replacing my Ti with sram etap hydraulic as I can't ride it due to, too much knee pain...........

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I'd go with another bosch powered bike so you have spare battery.
I try to put most mileage on my older battery and save good one for big rides.

Unfortunately lot 2019 bikes are using powertubes instead of powerpack.

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
I'd go with another bosch powered bike so you have spare battery.
I try to put most mileage on my older battery and save good one for big rides.

Unfortunately lot 2019 bikes are using powertubes instead of powerpack.
i have listed the 4 bikes im looking at within budget and currently only one is bosch.....but its an ex demo model and its the performance cx engine, which lots of people have experienced problems with

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
'Lots' is a relative term. I would love to see the other motors failure rates, you hear more about Bosch CX failures because they sold more of them than the other manufacturers. I've 9500km on mine in 1 year but I don't go offroad and I do grease the motor.

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
'Lots' is a relative term. I would love to see the other motors failure rates, you hear more about Bosch CX failures because they sold more of them than the other manufacturers. I've 9500km on mine in 1 year but I don't go offroad and I do grease the motor.
yes Lots is a relative term

im awaiting an email back, about how many miles the bergamont has done as a demo machine before i make my decision......ive also seen a good price on a cube stereo hybrid "new" with the bosch cx engine, that could sway me to add a few pennies to the pot

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
yes Lots is a relative term

im awaiting an email back, about how many miles the bergamont has done as a demo machine before i make my decision......ive also seen a good price on a cube stereo hybrid "new" with the bosch cx engine, that could sway me to add a few pennies to the pot
If going for serious MTB then its hard to beat FS. I have both FS and HT eMTBs, the FS is for MTBing and HT is setup for commuting. Having FS makes big difference when climbing fast on rough tracks.

NB you will climb 20-30% on a CX bike compared to Plus.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
If going for serious MTB then its hard to beat FS. I have both FS and HT eMTBs, the FS is for MTBing and HT is setup for commuting. Having FS makes big difference when climbing fast on rough tracks.

NB you will climb 20-30% on a CX bike compared to Plus.
I'd disagree HT requires skill that FS does not

the skill level in my local group is very evident between those who only ever ride or rode FS. They simply have not needed to use their body in the same way and be so alive to terrain - they have less " feel". I don't feel as "connected" to a FS, that human /machine harmony on the mountain is with a HT

Don't get me wrong, I love full suss for many reasons but learn some skills in HT first seems to go a long long way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I'd disagree HT requires skill that FS does not

the skill level in my local group is very evident between those who only ever ride or rode FS. They simply have not needed to use their body in the same way and be so alive to terrain - they have less " feel". I don't feel as "connected" to a FS, that human /machine harmony on the mountain is with a HT

Don't get me wrong, I love full suss for many reasons but learn some skills in HT first seems to go a long long way

Your right on skill levels, but HT is lot harder on body especially legs down hill.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Your right on skill levels, but HT is lot harder on body especially legs down hill.
Absolutely true ! It's the youngsters on FT with no skill as they have never known any different

If you are new to mtb and capable physically then I believe there is a lot to learn from HT first

Give me a few years and i'll ditch allmy HT

Not just yet

I agree it depends on ones circumstances too and I also accept "most" folk who go electric mtb is age , fitness, disability related. It opens up range and fun

Mine isna bit unusual being all about time. Four young kids mean I get little time to enjoy the south downs . Converting my hardtail means I can do so much more in a 2'hour slot vs non electric. But I still want the HT on the downhill and technical as I remain, luckily , capable for now

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
This is not an mtb skills thread.........let's get back on topic
Sure , my advice would be get a hardtail .

But without the context of the previous discussion it's meaningless I'd have thought! Not a derail in my view its just context and a different view to another member being explained for your benefit

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ and Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
This is not an mtb skills thread.........let's get back on topic
It’s relative

unlike the Bosch failure rate

I also think that people willing to give there opinions and advice should be gratefully received not stomped on

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
It’s relative

unlike the Bosch failure rate

I also think that people willing to give there opinions and advice should be gratefully received not stomped on

Oh and it’s a hard tail here as well
I’ve had full sus bikes but there not for me there to easy to ride in comparison for me personally
This may change in the future but not in the foreseeable future
i asked for the opinions on the 4 bikes in my original post - not on whether one person is more skilled than the other in relation to what bike they ride.....

and the bosch failure rate is relative to the post, when ive seen people on here complaining about a relative motor.............

• Disagree
Reactions: EddiePJ and Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
i asked for the opinions on the 4 bikes in my original post - not on whether one person is more skilled than the other in relation to what bike they ride.....

and the bosch failure rate is relative to the post, when ive seen people on here complaining about a relative motor.............
The Bosch failure rate is not relative in as much as statistically they have sold more bosch motors than any other make , so they may or may not have more failures
Also have you read all the posts from people saying how great there motors have been ? No because people very rarely do
also bosch are not the only company that wear out bearings

Also you asked for "Any other recommendations" did you not Maybe you should have stuck to your choice of 4 if you cant handle any other advice

The thread went to the Hardtail vs Full sus pros and cons
and all the relative info on your any other recommendations question
Maybe you should have stipulated that you were not intrested in Full sus bikes and the thread would not have wandered in that direction

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: EddiePJ and Jowwy

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The big plus with bosch bike is getting spare battery for free for both bikes.

CX bearing reliability shouldn't be issue if you look are bike and grease seals as per bearing mans recommendations. If worst does happen after 2yrs there is aftermarket fix provided by bearing man.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

Related Articles

Advertisers