New bike, motor towed up steep hill.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Thanks for all your replies. It really helps.
I went up the hill today again, to try and see if it happened again. Got to the flat part before it, geared to 1 and hit high power. My legs were going like the
clappers but I made sure not to stop pedalling at all. ( I have realised this is that thing I should do.on this bike as any slowing down or resting for a brief second, seems to then make the bike tow when starting up again.
Anyway! I got to the point I'd arrived at yesterday but today's was much better! Still slower than Artemis (.when I trialled the juicy bike which ploughed up a hill with no worries whatsoever), but we made.it!! Have ridden 10 miles today!!! I have fibromyalgia and other health issues and have done that. I'm so happy!!
Lol Artsu, that'll be the day! I wouldnt hold your breath!
Anyway! Thanks again, you've really all helped me understand how to ride it better.
My legs are burning but ny heads thinking I cant wait to get out again!
Cheers x
My 'God I'm gonna have to stop or I will die' spot! Lol i know it's not a hill by your standards but its chugging Mount Everest to me
Hi. I had a Pendleton for a good while and gave it plenty of use before passing it on to another family member. I now have a yose 350 rearkit and there is another bike in the house (mxus xf07 front hub) to compare it to. (all unmodified at 36v)The pendleton is better on hills than the xf07 and perhaps nearly as good as the yose and in some ways better as the pendleton controller stays cooler than the yose on long hills.
However, the pendleton pas system works differently, in that there are two power levels associated with your cadence rate (or how fast you pedal). This means on hills, if you dont shift down and you pedal slowly, the motor reduces power and the bike stalls quickly, with the pas system switches off the motor as pedals are no longer turning. In some respects, this perhaps protects the motor.
The above feature is very annoying if you suddenly stop on a slight hill with the bike in a high gear, as the combination of high gear and low cadence power level makes getting going difficult and its at times like this you would miss a throttle.
The walk assist function is also useless on this bike so if you get stuck on a journey with a steep hill in front of you, its going to be difficult to walk bike uphill. (Again, a throttle is very useful and saves heart attacks ! ).

Last edited:
Reactions: Allyjr

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
However, the pendleton pas system works differently, in that there are two power levels associated with your cadence rate (or how fast you pedal). This means on hills, if you dont shift down and you pedal slowly, the motor reduces power and the bike stalls quickly, with the pas system switches off the motor as pedals are no longer turning. In some respects, this perhaps protects the motor.
The above feature is very annoying if you suddenly stop on a slight hill with the bike in a high gear, as the combination of high gear and low cadence power level makes getting going difficult and its at times like this you would miss a throttle.
The walk assist function is also useless on this bike so if you get stuck on a journey with a steep hill in front of you, its going to be difficult to walk bike uphill. (Again, a throttle is very useful and saves heart attacks ! ).
Just like a normal bicycle then, I like bikes that are true to normal cycling but with a bit of assistance.

Reactions: Allyjr

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Hi Sturmey,

Thanks that makes sense with how I rode it on the first occasion and how I rode yesterday. The first day I just set off, up the hill, in higher gear and stopped pedalling for a sec. Started again but it had lost momentum and then it slowed and slowed, whined and felt so heavy till I stopped.
Yesterday I was in 1st gear, pedalling like mad and refused to stop, got to the same point and the engine was ok. I wasnt! I'm hoping NY fitness improves and i can make it, that bit further to the entrance of the top car park. I've got this target, in my head now lol.
Thank you for helping. And I love how your family of ebikes is increasing!

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Nice one, shortly before I got my bike I had a job to walk a couple of hundred yards due to illness, last week I rode that Dent station climb and think I did ok considering, it was raining at that point and I ascended into the clouds, so missed the lovely views too.

View attachment 30682
Wow! I'm so happy for you! Really WELL DONE! you should be so proud of your achievement. It is not easy is it.
I find riding a bike easier than walking! Hopefully that will improve as my fitness and leg strength improves. Legs are still burning today
Well done again! Fab stuff!!

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Allyjr

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2019
Just like a normal bicycle then, I like bikes that are true to normal cycling but with a bit of assistance.
That's how it feels! Only when I get on the flat, it can take off like a rocket. Just love it! Will be selling my old pendleton (without ebikeness).

Reactions: Artstu

Advertisers