New Bosch motors 2020

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Just read that Bosch have put software in place to stop de-restricting their new motors for 2020. Hope this can be easily overcome otherwise i won't be buying Bosch anytime soon.

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Some info about the new motor on this thread.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Hope this can be easily overcome otherwise i won't be buying Bosch anytime soon.
That’s exactly the response Bosch is looking for, they don’t want you (or anyone else for that matter) messing with there design and breaking the law. Simply self preservation as there’s plenty of law abiding citizens who will buy there products ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
That’s exactly the response Bosch is looking for, they don’t want you (or anyone else for that matter) messing with there design and breaking the law. Simply self preservation as there’s plenty of law abiding citizens who will buy there products ;)
and how many game consoles have had there copyright protection broken err all of them.

it is just a matter of time until a work round is sorted for gen 4 motors as the dongle manufactures cant do much until they get there hands on a bike.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: ebiker99 and Nealh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I can't find any stats in a quick search, but I suspect that quite a small proportion of games consoles has their copyright protection broken. On the other hand, that there are segments of the game market where the proportion is very high.

Reactions: sajjad
D

Deleted member 25121

Judging by the trouble Bosch has taken to implement this feature and the negative impact its hacking would have to their reputation I can't see it being hacked anytime soon.

There's an interesting point in this link:

Goodbye tuning: new anti-tuning software detects motor tuning and manipulation via sensors while you’re riding which then automatically switches the motor into limp home mode. Bosch is thus responding to the requirements of the EN15194: 2017 standard.

Expect other reputable suppliers to follow suit.

Reactions: flecc

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
What on earth does 'limp home mode' mean? Why not just switch it off if they want to punish the individual. Or maybe they introduce 'drag' like seems to be happening with my Active Line Plus :) Mike

• :D
Reactions: Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Judging by the trouble Bosch has taken to implement this feature and the negative impact its hacking would have to their reputation I can't see it being hacked anytime soon.

There's an interesting point in this link:

Goodbye tuning: new anti-tuning software detects motor tuning and manipulation via sensors while you’re riding which then automatically switches the motor into limp home mode. Bosch is thus responding to the requirements of the EN15194: 2017 standard.

Expect other reputable suppliers to follow suit.
the biggest haibike dealer sells and fits dongles and honors the warranty if bosch did care about this then it would not be a option as it was all over his web site and still is 7 years later.

and these groups have pretty much cracked everything from games to films

D

Deleted member 25121

the biggest haibike dealer sells and fits dongles and honors the warranty if bosch did care about this then it would not be a option as it was all over his web site and still is 7 years later.
It seems that Bosch cares about it the hacking / dongles in order to meet the requirements of the EN15194: 2017 standard, see my post. I imagine that they're also very concerned that excessive disregard for the law could result in ebike permissions being withdrawn. This would be disastrous for their business.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat and Danidl

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
like i said ebike shop fits dongles and honers the warranty despite saying the opposite on the bosch web site or did.

if they did care it would not be a option and its not like bosch dont know what ebike shop and now others are doing with there motors is it.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

and these groups have pretty much cracked everything from games to films
The trouble with your stance is that it absolutism. Bosch as a highly responsible and major corporation is concerned about its public image. They are also concerned that if their products were known to be easily hijacked,it could result in them facing civil liability and massive lawsuits. That would concern them greatly.. especially on the bottom line. They don't really care if some jackass modifies their machine and kills themselves in the process.. provided it does not affect their credibility and honour. In any court case for damages ,the court will ask have you taken REASONABLE precautions to prevent illegal modifications. And reasonable does not imply absolute

D

Deleted member 25121

like i said ebike shop fits dongles and honers the warranty despite saying the opposite on the bosch web site or did.

if they did care it would not be a option and its not like bosch dont know what ebike shop and now others are doing with there motors is it.
I imagine it's the dealer provinding the warranty, not Bosch. I very much doubt whether Bosch is monitoring every reseller around the world selling an ebike using a Bosch component, particularly in the UK which is a small market for them.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dealers send all bosch motors back to them for warranty replacement they are not allowed to open the motors as it will then void the warranty even tho a £5 drive side bearing needs replacing it has to be sent back to bosch.

D

Deleted member 25121

dealers send all bosch motors back to them for warranty replacement they are not allowed to open the motors as it will then void the warranty even tho a £5 drive side bearing needs replacing it has to be sent back to bosch.
Yes, that's right.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
There's clearly demand for tuned bikes, as there is for cars etc. Hence the reason why i tuned mine. I understand the advantages and risks. Personally, the bike is useless to me without a dongle, as i can ride my other lightweight bikes faster than 15mph, for reasonable periods.
Moving forward, there will be a work around as there is with most things. I shall wait until then. However, when i compare my bike 2017-8 to the 2020 models, there's little in terms of significant improvements. Maybe worth waiting for a while longer.

Advertisers