New controller for 2012 Raleigh Velo Cite

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement controller for a Raleigh Velo Cite, or can recommend a online dealer in the UK who can sell me one?
I just bought one on ebay, including all sensors and even the brake levers for around 50 UK Pounds.
You need to know what voltage your motor and battery is, also what wattage your motor is, legal in the EU is 250 watt or less. You then need to know if your motor has brushes or not and hall effect sensors or not!
There are many such offerings on ebay, but do make sure that all details of setting up are supplied, well before buying. Also, you need to be reasonable with electrics..... Let us all know how you are on the DIY scene, not good,then let a local dealer make you an offer....
Best of luck!

regards

Andy

Andrew Wingrove

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2017
York
www.simplicityin.training
Hi Andy, thanks for responding. My setup is 36V, The motor is a Brushless 36V 250W with 5 hall sensor in front wheel. my original controller was model KT36ZWS-HDSLCD

I bought a controller online this week, A Brainpower model kslzv83. I tried setting it up and all I could get from it was three speeds on settings 1, 2 and 3 from the LCD and nothing from the PAS or throttle. Local electric bike shop tried as well and had the same results.

I went for this one as it seemed to have a photograph with all the cables named, and that seemed a good start. Just won't work with my system. No response from throttle or PAS. And I tested the throttle, and also plugged in a new one.

My local dealer offered me a controller and LCD screen for £250. I declined the offer, and said I would find the answer on this forum.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Andy, thanks for responding. My setup is 36V, The motor is a Brushless 36V 250W with 5 hall sensor in front wheel. my original controller was model KT36ZWS-HDSLCD

I bought a controller online this week, A Brainpower model kslzv83. I tried setting it up and all I could get from it was three speeds on settings 1, 2 and 3 from the LCD and nothing from the PAS or throttle. Local electric bike shop tried as well and had the same results.

I went for this one as it seemed to have a photograph with all the cables named, and that seemed a good start. Just won't work with my system. No response from throttle or PAS. And I tested the throttle, and also plugged in a new one.

My local dealer offered me a controller and LCD screen for £250. I declined the offer, and said I would find the answer on this forum.
That would appear to be par for the course....
In your position,I would buy one complete with all the sensors, send back the one you have already.
This the one I will be returning as it looks as though I have repaired my old one!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24V-36V-250W-350W-Brushless-Motor-Controller-LCD-Panel-für-Elektro-Bike-Scooter/173526427023?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
But you get just about everything, so it has a better chance of working I feel.....
Regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any KT controller will work just a case of finding one with the correct wire connectors or change them to suit. If you have lcd display then it will only be compatible with a KT controller, controller software/programming is not universal or one fits all. The only time this works is using items from the same maker, this is why controller & lcd are always recommended to buy as a pair if changing to a different maker. If you only need a controller you can get one for about £22 on Ali express from Pswpower, all peripheral bits like pas ,throttle etc will work as they only require correct wire sequence.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24V-36V-250W-15A-Brushless-DC-Sine-Wave-ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Hub-Motor-Controller-with-right/32759840253.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4diRj5tc

Last edited:

Andrew Wingrove

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2017
York
I am planning on sending it back this weekend. I have taken a look at the one on eBay. The one I bought came with a LCD, so it should not have been a problem adding the generic throttle and PAS. Seems a pity to buy the whole set when I already have two working PAS units and 2 working throttles, speed sensors and inline break control. But I do understand what you are saying about it coming as a set. The one you mentioned came from Germany. It's a pity that there is nothing on Amazon Prime that can be delivered tomorrow.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Any KT controller will work just a case of finding one with the correct wire connectors or change them to suit. If you have lcd display then it will only be compatible with a KT controller, controller software/programming is not universal or one fits all. The only time this works is using items from the same maker, this is why controller & lcd are always recommended to buy as a pair if changing to a different maker. If you only need a controller you can get one for about £22 on Ali express from Pswpower, all peripheral bits like pas ,throttle etc will work as they only require correct wire sequence.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24V-36V-250W-15A-Brushless-DC-Sine-Wave-ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Hub-Motor-Controller-with-right/32759840253.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4diRj5tc
You are right, compatibility is a big problem, basically there is none.
is why you need to buy everything from one supplier, that is also cheaper....especially on ebay.
Find a ebay supplier that lives in the same country as you do, then you have a far better chance of getting your money back if it all goes wrong.
Regards
Andy

Andrew Wingrove

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2017
York

Am I right in thinking that the KT in the model number means that it comes from the same company? My original controller was KT36ZWS-HDSLCD. So if I find another controller starting with KT then I can use the same LCD display. I have a box full of JST connectors of all sizes, so I can change where needed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Am I right in thinking that the KT in the model number means that it comes from the same company? My original controller was KT36ZWS-HDSLCD. So if I find another controller starting with KT then I can use the same LCD display. I have a box full of JST connectors of all sizes, so I can change where needed.
KT is Keunteng Electronics a reliable company, many bikes use their easy to come by components and they are the top component for diy use, I use all their component's in the main part as do many others on the forum. Compatibility is uniform with KT and I mix and match any 3rd party peripherals such as pas , throttle or speed sensor and they all work if wire sequence is correct.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
View attachment 27549 Found this one on Ebay in the UK. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250w-Electric-Bike-Brushless-Motor-Bicycle-Scooter-Speed-Controller-Parts-36V/113204735323?hash=item1a5b872d5b:g:fBoAAOSwc~xbIPjc

Any problems you can see with this working as a replacemement?

Pin settings I found in German. But looks okay to me.
You should have little or no issue the lcd jst will be correctly wired as will the dj7061 hall block, all you need to do is check that all wire sequences are correct with any peripheral's.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I wish you luck.....but as nobody follows colour code either, it may be quite fraught!
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Later KT's are quite good with wire colours 5v is either red or brown, gnd is black. White is commonly used for speed sensor. Other hall/signal wire for peripheral's tends to be either blue, yellow or green.

Nearly all the big major motor players use a standard hall wire sequence for controller and universal motor changing with the 9 pin motor connector.

Often it is not a case of simply matching colour to colour with peripheral's, what is important is connecting wire designation to the corresponding wire, so ignore wire colour and match gnd to gnd, v+ to v+ and signal to signal.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some of the no name really cheap controllers can be fraught, a few years ago a chap came on here wanting to know what was what with his wiring.
:eek: We asked for a pic or he provided one can't think which now, however every wire combo used the same 3 wire colours. Purple, black and blue or something akin to that, there wasn't a hope in hell unless you could reads mandarin.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have KT lcd1, 2 & 3 models and use KT 36 & 48v controllers as well as the dual volt ones and have yet to encounter any issues with any item not work.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I always buy from Aliexpress as it is cheaper and usually arrive within 14 days, UK sellers stick on a big mark up so refuse to buy.
You can try Panda bikes but they use the julet plug and play system so makes changing connectors difficult.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH