New ebike buyer and best e-bike supplier edinburgh

Birdnearaspire

Just Joined
Mar 22, 2020
Hello,

Grateful for advice. I’m a lifetime cyclist who’s got an ailment that rules out a regular bike for now. I looked at ebikes last year, it felt a bit tough making a final decision so I stopped looking. Now: I’m going to have to do shopping trips for people during the covid thing and then on return to regular work I want to avoid public transport , so I would like to access an e-bike fairly quickly for the shopping requirement.

I live in Edinburgh, regular commute is about 8 miles each way and I like to go to Porty for a swim. Reckon I need at least 25 miles, 30 would be safer.
I’m 48, female, very low muscle strength, I’m heavier at the moment, about 14 stone. I’d want to carry shopping on the back of the bike in panniers ideally. Prefer a step through. Nothing too sporty, last few bikes were sit up and beg but I did try a ridgeback ebike last year in Orkney and enjoyed the ride. My aesthetic is minimalist. I won’t have to carry it up stairs very often.

Also keen to buy it from a shop with good afterservice. I’ll buy it using the sustrans loan scheme and have a garage for storage so I can buy something reasonably High spec but given it’s my first purchase slightly worried about spending a fortune and then it’s not the right bike.

Any help gratefully received.
Thankyou
Bird

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we have sold a few Santana3 to customers in Edinburgh under SUSTRANS loan scheme.
Take a look. If you like it, please call and have a word with Hatti.

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Probably worth trying Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op. I can't vouch for after sales service as I've not bought anything from them, but they've been helpful the 3 times I've been in and tried 4 bikes (over the 3 visits) for about 1/2 hour each. They've got a good range of makes and models to choose from.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need a hub motor bike with cadence PAS sensor, with lack of muscle strength a mid motor drive will not be of much use to you as they use torque sensing PAS and rely on the rider to input good effort to get the best out of them.

Andrew K

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2014
Edinburgh
The electric cycle company, Granton road has a good selection of bikes, many available to test ride. I have bought several e-bikes there, over the last 4 years, and the advice and after sales service are very good.