New here - help with panasonic motor

Nuno Travasso

Just Joined
Apr 4, 2017
Portugal
Hi,
My name is Nuno, from Portugal, and I am new here.
I just entered the forum to see if I can get some help.
I have a 2010 Kalkhoff Tasman with a Panasonic motor, which I used daily for 6 years.
Some months ago, it suddenly stopped in the middle of the street. The motor does not work and the display is off. Also the back wheel of the bike is basically stuck when I try to move the bike backwards. The battery seems to be fine.
I took the bike to the seller who refused to open the motor and tried to sell me a used one. Then, I took it to another e-bike shop, where they opened the motor and said the parts seem to be fine, and that they don’t know what could be wrong. Here are some pictures of the motor they have sent to me.
Do you have any idea what could be the problem, or anything we should try?
Thank you very much for any help.

20170330_150022.jpg 20170330_150146.jpg 20170330_151623.jpg 20170330_151943.jpg 20170330_151952.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid not many repairs are possible with these units Nuno. No spares have ever been available since they were intended as sealed for life units with repair by replacement.

Some things are possible though. The fact you can't wheel it backwards indicates the roller and ramp freewheel in the centre of the large nylon gear is seized. I've got no illustration of that, but it's similar to the one in the smaller steel gear illustrated on this link, and freeing it will be similar.

However, it seems as though it has also suffered electrical failure. Since the circuit board is encapsulated and sealed into the crankcase, it's not possible to repair or, with no spares available, replace it.

There's more information you can look at on my Panasonic support site on this link, yours is the new type unit.

Stephane92

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2018
Hi Nuno,
I have the same electrical problem as you (display is off but the battery is good). I do not have any problem with the freewheel though. I am currently opening up the motor housing to take a look. Did you ever find a solution? I understand from the comment of @flecc that the odds are small..
What is Strange in my case is that I can measure 28V on the power supply of the display. I would think the display does not need that much voltage and that the motor is sending 'too' much.