New Lock?

Paddi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
Hi,

just looking for suggestion for a decent lightweight Lock, been looking at the Folding locks and seem pretty neat , but also heavy ..

any suggestions, Bike wont be sitting outside for long (locked up secure in work and home) , but would like a decent lock just incase for when i'm out

Paddi

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Hi Paddi,

I started a thread asking if anyone would lock their expensive eBikes and leave them in public view.

Basically they all said NO, as it would attract too much attention of the wrong kind.

However if you still want to lock it somewhere watch this video, it might help.

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
Hi Bally,

thanks for getting back to me , i get what you mean about leaving it out in public , hopefully that doesnt need to happen , was really just a decent lock for a quick jaunt in for a coffee or something .. i had looked at the ottolocks , and they looked lightweight and decent enough ... i know if someone want the bike they are taking it , but hopefully just enough to put someone off is all im looking for , that and a wee GPS tracker lol

paddi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you don't put a decent lock on your bike your insurance company won't want to know you if it does get stolen. If you have a gold rated Kryptonite on it at least you might get some of your money back. My 0.02 €...

• Agree
Reactions: falmouthtony

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
i was looking at the gold rated Litlok range , the seem a bit easier to carry around and the hiplok range , just trying to get some feedback form those already using them ...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Should be OK. Ever tried cutting Kevlar? My little finger tells me they might be weaving a bit of space age fabric in there :) The weak point (other than the price :eek: ) will be the metal lock.

Reactions: Paddi

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I have the Litlok, does the job but quite "unwieldy" and awkward but it is Gold standard and is slightly lighter than the others I looked at.

Reactions: Paddi

Dave Y Fenni

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2017
Y Fenni
My Volt comes with a fitted Abus lock, I have the dedicated chain to go with it, which uprates it to gold standard. I also have a Kryptonite New Yorker.
I use them for short periods of time to secure the bike. Its also insured.
I have always said If they want it they will have it at all costs to them. Even to the point of following you home?
Lightweight in my case is not a premium, but security for the opportunist is!
My non eBike (stump jumper comp) is light, so I can understand the weight thing. But an eBike with an added kg or so will make that much of a difference, personally for me it's not an issue?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I use an Abus folding lock when I park up my bike at work. The lock is kept on the bike frame in its holder..

I park it inside the building who's access door is pass swap protected, and there is also a locked roll shutter to negotiate. But I still lock it up to the staircase banister as I don't trust the contractors that are always doing work in the building.

I have only ever left my bike locked and unattended elsewhere on one occasion, and even then I had full view of it through the shop window. Its something I never plan to do as a rule of thumb.

At home I park it in my garage, with a ground anchor concreted into the floor, and with a 22mm chain.

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
i think thats the one im going for bear what Length did you get ?

I'm in the process of putting an anchor in the porch for my bike when at home , at least at work its in a locked boiler house and will be chained up...

Dave , i agree the weight difference shouldn't really matter, i think i will be going for the Abus lock that you both have ..

thanks for the info

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
I'm working on the basis that two reasonable quality U-locks (one carried in each pannier) are better than a 400 pound gorilla of a lock which is more of a pain to lug around and provides more limited locking options.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm working on the basis that two reasonable quality U-locks (one carried in each pannier) are better than a 400 pound gorilla of a lock which is more of a pain to lug around and provides more limited locking options.
And a bit of chain... Frame lock + D-Lock (U when it is open) is my choice every time.

Francis Albert

Mar 19, 2018
Manchester
I only leave mine to nip in a shop and get a drink or a bar but also do a lot of photography where I do leave it a bit so I've done my reasearch and Have decided on a Litelok wearable!

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Hmmm ... I'm not sure I'd trust a Litelock on it's own - think a U-lock should be in the mix as well as a chain or kryptoflex cable for the front wheel.

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
Not 3 locks, 2 with some kind of cable to loop round the front wheel.

I know that many people use a single lock, hence the idea of being slightly better than other bikes locked up around you.

Reactions: Francis Albert

Blackbird

Jun 15, 2018
I have bike insurance (in NL), i pay 6 euro's for full anti-theft insurance. As long as i use a lock with a ART certification i get full price including inflation for the first three years.
Thats why i always use a single chain, nothing more. I am thinking about getting a lock thats easier to store on the bike.

Reactions: Francis Albert

Francis Albert

Mar 19, 2018
Manchester
I have bike insurance (in NL), i pay 6 euro's for full anti-theft insurance. As long as i use a lock with a ART certification i get full price including inflation for the first three years.
Thats why i always use a single chain, nothing more. I am thinking about getting a lock thats easier to store on the bike.
What company is that Insurance with mate?

Related Articles

Advertisers