New Lockdown Rules in Wales .

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Yes the Welsh Government have been determined to clobber the 2nd home owners for some time and the cyclists have been dragged into it as a counter balance, read excuse , to balance this nastiness out .

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You can only cycle as far as you can walk .
That does make some sense. In that most people usually walk for a lot less than 10 miles, or so, for their daily exercise allowance. How far does a roadie go before they're deemed to be taking liberties with the guidelines? :oops:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
New Rules on Cycling in Wales come into force tomorrow morning . You can only cycle as far as you can walk . This Draconian rule seems to defeat the point of cycling and indeed exercise .
Thousands of ordinary people of all ages take part in the 26 mile London marathon, so on that basis alone you can insist you can walk 26 miles well within a day.

So cycle outward bound for 26 miles, your limit.

Then cycle back home! ;)

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yes the Welsh Government have been determined to clobber the 2nd home owners for some time and the cyclists have been dragged into it as a counter balance, read excuse , to balance this nastiness out .
I know that at the beginning some shops in smaller towns were wiped out by people coming to their second homes. Where there might have been enough bog rolls and bread, there were none.

And the health systems in much of the second home areas of Wales could not cope with an influx of people coming to stay longer term. Indeed, they would be extremely hard hit if people came and were ill with covid-19 (whether they had it before they arrived or not).

By the same token, it is probably not a good idea for anyone in Wales who has a second home in Engalnd (or Scotland or NI) to go to it, at present.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Now where does that leave Charles, he's Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, but lives in Gloucestershire.

If I was a copper, the moment he moved I'd stop his car and issue three sixty quid fines.
Use a helicopter. I haven't heard of anyone being told that unnecessary flights are not allowed.

• :D

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Seems a bit of an odd way to define something. How about if you walk round and round in circles, you could cover many miles and actually travel nowhere.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Use a helicopter. I haven't heard of anyone being told that unnecessary flights are not allowed.
He had his pilots licence removed after he crash landed on a Scottish island years ago.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I suppose if you are 50 miles from home on a bike ride it would be fair to say you are taking liberties, I think the main rule was enforcing the ban on second home usage.
There is an irony here:

Isn't "ill" Boris currently resting at his own Second Home at Chequers in Buckinghamshire, and returning to his main home at Downing Street next week?

I'll bet he'll be driving back using his private car too, rather than commuting on a Boris Bus as an "essential worker" or cycling using a Boris Bike!

It does smack of double standards!

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Average unhurried walking pace is approx 3/4 miles /hour - let us say generously 5 miles/h brisk (non Olympic athlete standard ) so a "there & back" or roundabout journey of 10 miles (up to 2 hours ) may be justifiable. Despite some confusion by those who should have known better , there was no "maximum of an hour per day exercise limit" in the English regulations as originally produced but Wales might differ?
And you can obviously run faster than walking so joggers can in theory , cover more ground in the same time. Unless you're only allowed to run as far as you can walk...

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Because of my shot knees I can walk about 800metres. Any more and I can hardly move for the next couple of days. The whole point of the ebike is that I can exercise without overloading the knees. I just did 15 miles today.
What a potty idea, and I hope they don't try and introduce it in England.
Mike

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
New Rules on Cycling in Wales come into force tomorrow morning . You can only cycle as far as you can walk . This Draconian rule seems to defeat the point of cycling and indeed exercise .
Well, I live in Wales and I have not heard of it.
How do they propose to inform people of their new laws?

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Has anyone actually been stopped by the police recently? Do they ask you where you live and do they check? I doubt it. You could easily say you live in the village you have just passed through!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Has anyone actually been stopped by the police recently? Do they ask you where you live and do they check? I doubt it. You could easily say you live in the village you have just passed through!
i see loads of police about same as ppl walking dogs runners and shed loads on bikes round here and not so dead on the roads anymore either.

plods not fast enough to catch me anyway :p

• Agree

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Well I just did a 2 hour ride on my SR 20 Fat Tyre , 21 miles . Looked at all the Aircraft for Parting Out and Servicing at St.Athan and filled my knapsack with goodies at the Coop there . An inspection by Plod would have passed the Bananas , but not the rest .

Reactions: Bobajob