New London Low Emission Zone

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cleaner air on the way for London cyclists and pedestrians. The existing Congestion Charge zone already has an extra £12.50 per day from next April for polluting older vehicles, on top of the £11.50 daily congestion charge.

Now the Ultra Low Pollution Zone is to be extended out to the North and South Circular roads, a huge area of Inner London, the infrastructure planned to be in place for 2021. Vehicles intended to be due for a charge centred on £12.50 per day will be petrol cars over 15 years old, motorcycles over 14 years old and diesels over 6 years old. That last one will hit hard for many and will include many commercials.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Cleaner air on the way for London cyclists and pedestrians. The existing Congestion Charge zone already has an extra £12.50 per day from next April for polluting older vehicles, on top of the £11.50 daily congestion charge.

Now the Ultra Low Pollution Zone is to be extended out to the North and South Circular roads, a huge area of Inner London, the infrastructure planned to be in place for 2021. Vehicles intended to be due for a charge centred on £12.50 per day will be petrol cars over 15 years old, motorcycles over 14 years old and diesels over 6 years old. That last one will hit hard for many and will include many commercials.
Dirty polluting cars going cheap in London to use elsewhere in country???

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I have nothing against keeping citys clean , what i do have a problem with is all the delivery vehicles being stung because of it
Loads of people for instance moan about lorrys on the road while there sat at the kitchen table drinking there coffee and munching on breakfast not thinking how there coffee and breakfast got there
So its good and bad at the same time because delivery and haulage firms will just pass the cost on to consumers effectively .

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So its good and bad at the same time because delivery and haulage firms will just pass the cost on to consumers effectively .
Broadly I agree, but it is doing some good. A number of companies delivering in London now have electric vans and one even has some electric trucks. Our London taxis will shortly only be available as hybrids capable of at least 70 miles on electric only and only allowed to use electric drive in the most polluted areas.

It's the future for city centres, we can't go on poisoning the most crowded areas with a clearly measurable premature loss of lives. Pedestrians and cyclists will gain the most.

While I take Zlatan's point about the dirty vehicles being sold elsewhere, in the countryside they won't be doing anything like the harm, sparsely distributed as they'll be in huge volumes of countryside air constantly cleansed by trees and other plants.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Broadly I agree, but it is doing some good. A number of companies delivering in London now have electric vans and one even has some electric trucks. Our London taxis will shortly only be available as hybrids capable of at least 70 miles on electric only and only allowed to use electric drive in the most polluted areas.

Taxis and local deliveries i get 100%
As per my previous post how do they go about the long distant haulage companys travelling from out of the city electric 44ton trucks cabable of 500 miles plus on a fill are not quite there yet .
One day maybe

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
  • Agree
Reactions: mike killay

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Reactions: mike killay

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the uk does not have enough power for cars atm let alone lorry's as well.;)

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Taxis and local deliveries i get 100%
As per my previous post how do they go about the long distant haulage companys
There's no intention of these going electric, they're handled in different ways. Firstly they aren't much of a pollution problem in the open countryside. Secondly they aren't so much when they enter cities, since for each 44 tonne truck there's a load of cars and vans. Cleaning up the cars and vans is enough, the much fewer large trucks can stay since the newer ones are much cleaner anyway. Third, in some of our inner areas they have to by law deliver in the middle of the night when the roads are quieter so pollution not a problem.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Theres still a lot of hgv,s going into cities thou , i know because i drive them :)
External distribution works for transfer into cities but its still not enough for lots of smaller companies, they still need 44t lorries in which still get charged , we cant always deliver at night :)

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Theres still a lot of hgv,s going into cities thou , i know because i drive them :)
External distribution works for transfer into cities but its still not enough for lots of smaller companies, they still need 44t lorries in which still get charged , we cant always deliver at night :)
Yes, but only a fraction of 44t trucks to the number of cars and vans, so the HGV pollution isn't a problem. We don't need to get rid of all exhaust pollution, just reduce it to acceptable levels that don't harm people. Cleaning up cars and vans plus banning the oldest high emission trucks is enough.

As for "can't always deliver at night", there's no can't about it when it's the law for a zone. The job just goes to those who can. We actually have one residential zone with a number of streets in one borough where deliveries can only be made by electric vehicles. Of course they don't pay congestion and emission zone charges.

Times are a changing and everyone is going to have to adapt.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Both sides will have to adapt
Theres companies also that wont take deliveries at night not just companies the wont deliver
I do see both sides and do agree change is coming its just not as clear cut as outsiders looking in think .

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yes, but only a fraction of 44t trucks to the number of cars and vans, so the HGV pollution isn't a problem.
Sorry, but HGV pollution is a problem. I certainly accept that for quite a number of years now, modern HGVs have been fitted with sophisticated equipment for cleaning up. We'd probably find that if measured on a per tonne basis (whether per tonne of vehicle and load, or just per tonne of load actually carried), they are cleaner than most other diesel vehicles. Trouble is, the number of tonnes moved is gigantic.

There are also options such as LPG conversions - I believe several companies such as TNT in the UK have dallied with them.

In the countryside, we also have the problem of agricultural vehicles. Some are absolutely disgusting - others seem to be right up at the forefront of cleanliness.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
All hgv had to go euro 6 several years ago in London it has not cut the number of tipper trucks or other construction vehicles on the A13 [ the shortest route out to the tip the spoil into a landfill ] they are just newer . The new 24 hour 365 plan with no discounts will not cut there numbers. The amount of cars that travel in to London has dropped mainly due to the already high parking costs you pay a surcharge to park a diesel car in some London boroughs they also age. restrict the black cabs

Reactions: oyster

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have nothing against keeping citys clean , what i do have a problem with is all the delivery vehicles being stung because of it
Loads of people for instance moan about lorrys on the road while there sat at the kitchen table drinking there coffee and munching on breakfast not thinking how there coffee and breakfast got there
Perhaps these extra costs should only apply in London not the whole UK

Reactions: Fat Rat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry, but HGV pollution is a problem.
Not so, I'm speaking of a relative problem. Of course ideally we'd have zero pollution but we have to be practical. At present there are a number of city zones that are breaking pollution limits and they can easily be brought within the limits by controlling the pollution from all the many more smaller vehicles that are on the roads.

These 2016 UK stats show the picture clearly:

Cars 79% of all road traffic covering 310 billion miles.

Vans 14% of all road traffic covering 45 billion miles.

HGVs 5% of all road traffic covering 16 billion miles.

Buses 1% of all road traffic covering 2.8 billion miles.

And then there's the numbers of registered vehicles from a recent year:

Cars 25.8 million, HGVs over 7.5 tonne 293 thousands. Even if foreign trucks quadrupled that, and I very much doubt they do, it would still only be just over 1 million trucks.

Tackling the pollution of vehicles other than HGVs can easily solve the problem, while keeping some control on HGVs of course.

Link to stats

Last edited:

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The funny thing about all of this is I sat and had lunch on the bank of Thames and watched the old fashioned way to move goods and rubbish one little tug boat and three super sized barges [a quick google showed each barge held 40 lorry loads } :)and in the back ground was one of largest container ships in the world at DP London gateway it holds 18 thousand + 20 ft containers most of which move by road on the biggest car park the m25 :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The funny thing about all of this is I sat and had lunch on the bank of Thames and watched the old fashioned way to move goods and rubbish one little tug boat and three super sized barges [a quick google showed each barge held 40 lorry loads } :)and in the back ground was one of largest container ships in the world at DP London gateway it holds 18 thousand + 20 ft containers most of which move by road on the biggest car park the m25 :(
But the barges can't go to where the goods are needed, so they must still end up on trucks. The same goes for the railways. Today's container transport is very efficient, in the final stage using a tiny fraction of the vehicles on our roads to get goods right to where they are needed, sometimes right to the user interface.

Advertisers