New member but long time E-Bike rider...

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Hi Everyone,
Long time lurker and thought it would be about time joined and I introduced myself.

I have a Carrera Vengeance (2018 vintage). It's nice to find a forum which doesn't simply rubbish these as a piece of crap. I think for what 90% of people want an E-Bike for it's right in the ballpark. I've been very happy with mine. Most of the winter months it becomes a "Pub Wagon" but (Before Covid) I liked to spend weeks away up in Scotland. Park the car on arrival and don't touch it again until I pack it up to go back home. I've no idea how many miles I've covered (But a lot). I've heard people who say 60 miles is possible on a charge.... Me I've found 30-40 was nearer the mark depending on terrain.

Apart from the pub Most of my riding is on farm tracks, "B" roads and a bit of "Off Piste". More recently I've found the range dropping off somewhat and now (In Scotland at least) if I'm looking at more than 25m I'm probably going to have to pedal a bit harder for the last few miles unless I ration the assistance. I don't really want to pay Halfords extortionate prices for a backup battery

I've been considering migrating the setup across to an old MTB which no longer sees much use to undertake the "Pub" duties and upgrading the Vengeance to something more designed for fun and increased range. I've been looking at different Dillinger kits. Does anyone know if these are easy to "Restrict"? (As in via the addition of a simple circuit and switch). I'm conscious of the legality and 250W restriction etc on road but would really like something like the latest 500W kit and be able to ride to to "wherever", have some fun and then ride it home. I know many will say "Just got for it" but knowing someone who was involved in a "No Fault Incident"... The law found his bike was illegal and... Well, let's just say it wasn't a cheap experience, so I would prefer to avoid that scenario..

Also.. Anyone know where I can get a PAS disc from for a Vengeance? I see loads of them on Ebay but the diameter is wrong. (The Vengeance one is over 3" diameter). I somehow destroyed mine. Luckily all the bits were attached to the crank via the magnets so I glued it all back together and laminated it for extra durability and it's been good for many months now but a replacement would be nice to have. Halfords wanted £130 as they said it was only available as part of the crank set.

Finally....
What are all the terminals for on the Vengeance battery/controller? I know the 2 at either end are +ve & -ve but what about the others? Is there a wiring diagram available anywhere? Asking Halfords just resulted in blank stares. :(

Anyway, I've rambled on for long enough, Thanks for listening..

TTFN
John.

Reactions: flecc

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hi Everyone,
Long time lurker and thought it would be about time joined and I introduced myself.

I have a Carrera Vengeance (2018 vintage). It's nice to find a forum which doesn't simply rubbish these as a piece of crap. I think for what 90% of people want an E-Bike for it's right in the ballpark. I've been very happy with mine. Most of the winter months it becomes a "Pub Wagon" but (Before Covid) I liked to spend weeks away up in Scotland. Park the car on arrival and don't touch it again until I pack it up to go back home. I've no idea how many miles I've covered (But a lot). I've heard people who say 60 miles is possible on a charge.... Me I've found 30-40 was nearer the mark depending on terrain.

Apart from the pub Most of my riding is on farm tracks, "B" roads and a bit of "Off Piste". More recently I've found the range dropping off somewhat and now (In Scotland at least) if I'm looking at more than 25m I'm probably going to have to pedal a bit harder for the last few miles unless I ration the assistance. I don't really want to pay Halfords extortionate prices for a backup battery

I've been considering migrating the setup across to an old MTB which no longer sees much use to undertake the "Pub" duties and upgrading the Vengeance to something more designed for fun and increased range. I've been looking at different Dillinger kits. Does anyone know if these are easy to "Restrict"? (As in via the addition of a simple circuit and switch). I'm conscious of the legality and 250W restriction etc on road but would really like something like the latest 500W kit and be able to ride to to "wherever", have some fun and then ride it home. I know many will say "Just got for it" but knowing someone who was involved in a "No Fault Incident"... The law found his bike was illegal and... Well, let's just say it wasn't a cheap experience, so I would prefer to avoid that scenario..

Also.. Anyone know where I can get a PAS disc from for a Vengeance? I see loads of them on Ebay but the diameter is wrong. (The Vengeance one is over 3" diameter). I somehow destroyed mine. Luckily all the bits were attached to the crank via the magnets so I glued it all back together and laminated it for extra durability and it's been good for many months now but a replacement would be nice to have. Halfords wanted £130 as they said it was only available as part of the crank set.

Finally....
What are all the terminals for on the Vengeance battery/controller? I know the 2 at either end are +ve & -ve but what about the others? Is there a wiring diagram available anywhere? Asking Halfords just resulted in blank stares. :(

TTFN
John.
Sorry I can't help with the queries but welcome anyway John.
Dave.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi Everyone,

Finally....

TTFN
John.
Halfords must have thought that you had the torque sensor, like the Crossfire has.

Tell us the diameter of your magnet disc and I'll show you where to get one from.

• Useful
Reactions: snafu and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: snafu

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Thanks Dave, vfr400 & Nealh,
I will have to pull mine off and measure it. That one from ATM certainly looks to be the right sort of diameter. I guess due to the large "hole" I would simply stick to the back of the crank with double sided tape.

I also found this one from Yose Power..

That also looks to be in the right ball park as far as Diameter is concerned.

I'll get xmas out of the way and see early in the new year. I also have one bought off Ebay in error before I knew there were different sizes. It also is a 12 magnet version so If all else fails I'll make one from some rigid plastic and transfer the magnets across from the ebay one.

Thanks again for the replies.

TTFN
John.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Double side tape is no good, one has to glue it on with epoxy 2 part or utilise the chain ring bolts to bolt them on unless it is the type with small plastic teeth that simply grip the square taper shaft.

Reactions: snafu