New member here

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
Hi, I'm Liz. I'm thinking of getting an electric bike/pedal assist and am looking for advice and tips as to what to get.

My problem is that I am small - barely 5ft tall - with a short inseam and a short reach. For a 'proper' bike when I was younger I had my late father, a keen cyclist, to help me, so I know what a bike that fits me feels like - and all the 'ready to ride' electric bike that I've seen are far, far FAR too big for me and will be a disaster.

Are there any producers/mechanics who will fit electrics to a bike of my choice? Obviously I know I couldn't just choose any bike, but at least I could choose one that fits me, couldn't I?

I know what I want - which is a hybrid-type for use on roads and trails (railway-type trails) with a decent 8+ speed hub gear and, preferably, the option to remove the power limiter on the motor when off the public highway. No, I'm not a wild child racer, I'm in my 60s and have cycled for many years, but am now somewhat restricted in where and for how long I can go out, by the long-term effects of damage done to one knee joint some 40-plus years ago. Electric assist would enable me to relieve the strain on my knee when necessary; the idea of cycling 'out' and then being able to cycle 'back' without having to concern myself with my blasted knee collapsing on me is a dream.

Any suggestions welcome!

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Has anyone answered this? If not, I'd re-type it in another section of the forum.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Hi Liz and a somewhat belated welcome to the forum.

I'm very surprised that no-one has answered your question yet as there are plenty of experienced cyclists amongst the membership, not all of whom are large. Indeed, although I've never met the man, I believe flecc is slightly diminutive of stature though perhaps not as short as you.

Although I'm no expert, I firmly believe that there's a whole host of bikes in your size out there suitable for conversion. Moreover, I'm also fairly confident that there are ebikes available off the shelf from several makers which would fit you without any special customisation. I shan't attempt to advise you or point you in any particular direction but I'd like to think that some of the readers who really can be of help might actually respond to your plea.

Best of luck with your search Liz.

Regards,
Indalo

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Liz:

whereabouts are you? We might be able to point you towards a dealer where you can get a trial ride, which is obviously essential. I think (and David from Wisper might correct me) that Wispers are generally 'big' bikes, but they might do a much smaller one than normal. Kalkhoffs do a range of frame sizes, and I think their smallest frames would suit.

But tell us which part of the country you're in, and we might be able to help more in this regard.

A.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Liz,

I think a conversion kit would suit you. That way you can choose a bike that you like and suits you, meets your needs and not have to adapt to an 'off the peg' electric bike. There are several kits on the market from the cheap and nasty to very expensive and highly sophisticated. In the middle of the price range, there are excellent quality and very reliable kits, some of which can be installed for you by the supplier.

First question is, what is your budget?

Regards,