new member needs assistance

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Hi, im new to electric bikes having just purchased a powabyke x6 and I am extremely happy with it but for reasons unknown it does not cutout at 15.5mph but keeps going to 22.5 mph before power cuts out?I am not complaining about this as after using it I can see that 15.5mph isnt quick enough for me, the downside to this is that the battery dies a lot quicker than it should ( 9 miles on assist).I also bought a alien ocean kit second hand on ebay with an 36v 10ah/8fun 250w motor but I find this too sloooow and im wondering if there is any way to improve the power/ speed without spending a lot? My knowledge on battery/ controller/ motor is limited so any help would be much appreciated, thanks kev

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome Kev there are others here who can advise you better on details but running at 150% speed will use circa 2-3 times the power so 9 miles is not silly range at all especially if you have hills traffic lights and weigh a bit too.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Hi d8ve, thanks for the reply, any ideas on why it would be running so fast? From what ive read on here 250 w motors dont usually get to that speed even if unrestricted, im 6'4" and 14 1/2 stone and live in a place called penygraig( top of hill) in South Wales where the only way home is up a steep hill which kills the battery very quickly so the range is expected with the small 6ah battery but I got another so its not too bad, the only issue I have with it i its noisy when under load/ starting off. Any suggestions to beefing up the alien kit? Thanks kev

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
D8veh will help mutch better on this I only know a little about the illegal stuff.
But 250 watts motors can get a bike up to 30+on the flat if you pedal. The speed is limited normally by speed sensors or design speed (turns per volt stuff). The power is a manufacturers rating. Some can will run over 750 watts at peak.
If the top speed slows significantly after 6 miles it's design limit. If it holds until the battery is near flat it is speed limited.

D

Deleted member 4366

Until you derestrict your bike, it's not possible to say how fast it'll go. It's speed will depend on the motor windings.. I have it at the back of my mind that Alien controllers are potted, so derestriction and other tampering isn't possible, in which case you'd need a new controller to get more speed. A KU63/65 from BMSBattery should work.. Does your bike have a control panel, if so, show a photo, and does it have a three-speed switch?

If your controller isn't potted, there's a good chance that it can be derestricted. You'll need to open it up to looh inside. If you show photos of it and its connectors, we can advise further.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Th
D8veh will help mutch better on this I only know a little about the illegal stuff.
But 250 watts motors can get a bike up to 30+on the flat if you pedal. The speed is limited normally by speed sensors or design speed (turns per volt stuff). The power is a manufacturers rating. Some can will run over 750 watts at peak.
If the top speed slows significantly after 6 miles it's design limit. If i
If the top speed slows significantly after 6 miles it's design limit. If it holds until the battery is near flat it is speed limited.
Ok great, thanks for the info, id be happy with 20 mph on flat and a bit of grunt for the hills, i went for my first spin with it today and the battery died after 2 km , seller told me it would to 20 km on a full charge so im going to need a battery, knew I should have bought a new kit

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Until you derestrict your bike, it's not possible to say how fast it'll go. It's speed will depend on the motor windings.. I have it at the back of my mind that Alien controllers are potted, so derestriction and other tampering isn't possible, in which case you'd need a new controller to get more speed. A KU63/65 from BMSBattery should work.. Does your bike have a control panel, if so, show a photo, and does it have a three-speed switch?

If your controller isn't potted, there's a good chance that it can be derestricted. You'll need to open it up to looh inside. If you show photos of it and its connectors, we can advise further.
Hi d8veh, thanks for the reply, turns out after taking it for a spin that the battery is a duff one so im going to need a battery as well, the controller u recommend from bms battery is it available in UK on ebay for eg?I have read on here that Alien have gone bust so I cant get battery from them but do batteries have a common connection? There are some on ebay but im unsure how to connect a battery with a different connecter and ill upload some pics tomorrow when I get a chance and yes it does have a simple control panel with on/off and 3 power settings, thanks again, kev

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Another question id like to ask the forum members is why no one seems to recommend powabykes to other members? I think mine is fantastic and am very happy with it. Perhaps u know something I dont..........
Ps I had it for £425 on ebay brand new which I thought was a fantastic deal

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That price tells the story Kevin, they were originally much more.

Their main problems began at the outset, it was their first modern style lithium battery e-bike but suffered in two ways. The first was that it continued to use the old brush motor that the SLA bikes used, robust but very noisy and somewhat slow though a good climber. Second was that the bottle battery isn't very stylish and was only 6 Ah, well below what the market wanted.

That was then made worse when a number of those so-called 6 Ah batteries were found to only have 4.5 ah cells while still sold as 6 Ah, which was unforgiveable.

Belatedly the motor was changed to a more modern brushless one which no doubt you have, but the bike is still disadvantaged by short range from that small battery.

A history like that blights any product and makes recommendation risky.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi d8veh, thanks for the reply, turns out after taking it for a spin that the battery is a duff one so im going to need a battery as well, the controller u recommend from bms battery is it available in UK on ebay for eg?I have read on here that Alien have gone bust so I cant get battery from them but do batteries have a common connection? There are some on ebay but im unsure how to connect a battery with a different connecter and ill upload some pics tomorrow when I get a chance and yes it does have a simple control panel with on/off and 3 power settings, thanks again, kev
I might be able to help you with a battery. I've got rather a lot of 10aH LiFePO4 cell-packs. Assuming that you have a rack battery, can you get an accurate measurement of the three dimensions of the aluminium case. I need the size of the hole inside the case, so don't add on anything for bits sticking out, and don't include the plastic ends.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
That price tells the story Kevin, they were originally much more.

Their main problems began at the outset, it was their first modern style lithium battery e-bike but suffered in two ways. The first was that it continued to use the old brush motor that the SLA bikes used, robust but very noisy and somewhat slow though a good climber. Second was that the bottle battery isn't very stylish and was only 6 Ah, well below what the market wanted.

That was then made worse when a number of those so-called 6 Ah batteries were found to only have 4.5 ah cells while still sold as 6 Ah, which was unforgiveable.

Belatedly the motor was changed to a more modern brushless one which no doubt you have, but the bike is still disadvantaged by short range from that small battery.

A history like that blights any product and makes recommendation risky.
Hi flecc, i did read a few posts about the 4.5ah battery which is out of order of course but I thought the claimed 20km range would have been ok as I bought it for going fishing basically requiring a 14 km round trip maximum. When I actually got it i realised the battery wont quite do the trip and falls short by a mile or so, not a big deal but dissapointing nonetheless so I got another so I can go 17 miles max,but now I have it i enjoy taking long spins on it so 2 batteries dont seem enough now and theres no way im paying £399 for the 8ah one on powabyke site.the bike actually goes 22mph on power alone on flat so I expected the battery to drain quicker, do u know if I could buy a bigger say 14ah battery on ebay and easily hook it up to the connection on my xbike? Which I think is an xlr like on a headphone cable,

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid I don't know the connectors on your bike Kevin, but you can certainly use another battery instead.

Maplin have a range of XLR connectors on this link if that's the type.

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
I might be able to help you with a battery. I've got rather a lot of 10aH LiFePO4 cell-packs. Assuming that you have a rack battery, can you get an accurate measurement of the three dimensions of the aluminium case. I need the size of the hole inside the case, so don't add on anything for bits sticking out, and don't include the plastic ends.
Hi mate, do I need to open the case to get the dimensions u require? I will upload photos of it tomorrow so u know exactly what it is. How much do the batteries cost?

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
I'm afraid I don't know the connectors on your bike Kevin, but you can certainly use another battery instead.

Thanks for the link flecc, those arethe ones, my current battery has a 2 pin connector similar to old kettle, do most batteries come with this connection type as standard? Or is a diy job necessary?

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi mate, do I need to open the case to get the dimensions u require?
It depends how good your are at measuring. We only need to know if the cell-pack fits. It's a 0ne minut job to take the four screws out of the end cap to measure it accurately.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

apologies, really don't mean to hijack this genuinely interesting post (and feel free to say if I am), but that's a very useful link flecc, have you by any chance seen this connector (it's on a front hubmotor d8veh originally located at chainreactioncycles)?

Attachments

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks for the link flecc, those arethe ones, my current battery has a 2 pin connector similar to old kettle, do most batteries come with this connection type as s
It depends how good your are at measuring. We only need to know if the cell-pack fits. It's a 0ne minut job to take the four screws out of the end cap to measure it accurately.
Ok ill measure it today when I get a chance, thanks

Kevin williams

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2014
apologies, really don't mean to hijack this genuinely interesting post (and feel free to say if I am), but that's a very useful link flecc, have you by any chance seen this connector (it's on a front hubmotor d8veh originally located at chainreactioncycles)?
Hi derf, that is the same connection as on my alien kit, must be pretty standard I guess

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Hi derf, that is the same connection as on my alien kit, must be pretty standard I guess
many thanks Kevin, now it's just a matter of finding a converter or controller with similar plug (it would feel too messy to cut and soldier it all)

D

Deleted member 4366

Could you confirm that. Look at the pattern of the pins. The thin ones are in a "X" shape. They're more commonly in a ring.