New Mxus kits.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
PswPower/Elifebike and Elifeshop on ebay pretty sure both are related or owned by Elifebike are both selling MXUS front kits and rear cassette kits with and without batteries, all with the excellent KT electronics and wound for 270rpm. Posting is from Germany.
This gives buyers another option then Yosepower for complete kits.

Rating is 250w and 1:4:4 gearing, all but in name the are a clone of Bafang hubs and have proved to be very good.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

SteveMcG71

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 23, 2017
Aberdeen
Thanks for this info. I've went and bought one of the rear cassette hub kits for my wife's new bike, it's going onto a Planet X Fat Baz trekking style bike with 29" wheels, comes in at 15kg and the wife is 76kg.

Question: Do you think it's worth overvolting with a 48v battery to gain some more torque and range from the motor?

We have 2 Yose kits with the old KT downtube controllers and she really likes this system, but sometimes lacks on the steep hills. We never really push for huge assistance, but maybe a wee bit more would be handy.

I've also got a 48v BBS02 but she doesn't like it, too clunkey on the gears and not so enjoyable. TBH i agree with her, although it is very good the geared rear hub systems beats it for smooth riding.

Thanks
Steve

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For steep hills you need to think of lower motor rpm if over volting 48v for out right torque, you will increase the hub running rpm by 33%. Increased speed means it will need to run faster to be efficient esp on steep hills, one would exp controller to get very hot, if the rider can't increase the climbing speed then the motor will bog down. Though unlikely to stall it will create a lot more heat to the controller.

15a Kt as 36v should give a bit over 400w in PAS 5 for hills and should be ample with low gearing for 10/15% depend son how long they are and ride stamina.

With the box controllers the simple cheapest option is to solder the shunt a little (20 - 25%) to get a few more amps but that depends if the battery continuous current can support more current.

Last edited:

SteveMcG71

Sep 23, 2017
Aberdeen
Thanks Nealh, i think it will be best to stick with a 36v battery then and if she feels that a wee bit more is required i could always go with soldering the shunt, I'll have a read up on that method.

The bike has a large cassette range, so i think 400w will be enough for her.

I'll just make sure the battery can handle at least 20amp continuous to cover this if need be.

Thanks again,
Steve

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The bike has a large cassette range, so i think 400w will be enough for her.
If you use the full range and drop to really low gears you will be going quite slowly, and the motor will be running much less efficiently.

We really notice that on the tandem with a lot more weight to pull; still really useful to have the motor. Should not be a problem for your wife.

SteveMcG71

Sep 23, 2017
Aberdeen
Thanks for the link, very interesting.

That's what happens with the Yose kits, once you hit a fairly steep incline the speed and cadence drops a fair bit.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Do you think it's worth overvolting with a 48v battery to gain some more torque and range from the motor?
I was thinking the same.

With the box controllers the simple cheapest option is to solder the shunt a little (20 - 25%) to get a few more amps but that depends if the battery continuous current can support more current.
This is the motor I am looking at for the new front hub build I am planning.

So would a few more amps at 48v be better for hill climbing? Over volting my YOSE front gets me 290ish rpm circa 620-670 watts @14- 15a PAS 5 and the hills I do are about 15% EDIT and I travel up these for about 5-8 mins max, would this be fair use for this motor?

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That MXUS motor is 270 RPM. It'll be OK at 48v in a 26" wheel, but not a 29" one. A lot depends on the speed you ride. Anything below 15 mph would make it run inefficiently at full power, which would compromise range and cause overheating. It would be no good on hills, climbing at 7.5 mph, where the efficiency would be below 50%.

If you'll be going at 12 -15mph, 48v offers no advantage. 36V would be better. If you need more torque, get more current.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Anything below 15 mph would make it run inefficiently at full power
I ride at 15-18 mph average however not always, but would the above apply at PAS 1-3 below 15 mph?

What about 27.5"?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There's no boundary between OK and not OK. There's ideal, not ideal and everything in between. The further you are from ideal, the more not ideal it becomes.

You have to prioritise characteristics to meet your needs. You said you wanted range. Motors that are too fast for their power don't give good range.

260 to 280 rpm is ideal for 15 - 18 mph with a 26" wheel, so towards the bottom of that range with a 27.5" one. If you want 48v, you need a 260 rpm 48v motor or a 201 rpm 36v one.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
You said you wanted range
Not overly fussed about range, I have 2x 36v batteries and a 48v battery, 20-25 miles off one battery is adequate, I can always take two batteries if required.

If you want 48v, you need a 260 rpm 48v motor or a 201 rpm 36v one.
This is my conundrum, I am sticking with a front hub and require a motor that would suit both 36v and 48v as my batteries are in great shape, cost/environment concerns. The new bike spec I was looking at before covid was 27.5er with all the trimmings, however finding a preferably black front motor that has a similar rpm to my current did prove rather taxing (TBF I havn't looked since brexit/covid) as I have got accustom to the speed on 48v and don't wish to drop from 18 mph when on the 36v, ergo the mxus. As we all know aliexpress seller are not renowned for their accurate rpm descriptions. The listing I was looking at have bloated the rpm for the front mxus.