New oldie

Garry Poulton

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2018
West Midlands England
Hi, I recently retired and was invited by a group of fellow oap's to join them on a regular Thursday morning outing. This was my excuse to buy a second hand e-bike.
I can't remember the last time I rode a bike so all this is new to me.
Has anyone got any info on the alien electric bike as I know nothing about them?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only models I know of, the Alien Ocean and Aurora were produced to meet a demand for performance and they were powerful with 350 watt motors and good for about 20mph assisted, but these of course are illegal. The legal maximum permitted power rating is 250 watts and the assist speed limit is 15.5 mph (25 kph).

That said it's unlikely these would be be detected in use, but in an accident investigation it could be different.

The motor's high current demand meant their original batteries used to fail quite frequently from one year old on, but now there are batteries which can cope with the motor's needs. Yours probably has a replacement battery.

Alien were quite short lived and had closed down by early 2014.

Last edited:

Garry Poulton

Sep 18, 2018
West Midlands England
Thanks flecc.
I don't know which model my bike Is and all the photos I have seen of Alien bikes look very similar. Mine has a 250w front hub motor and the battery is mounted on a rear carrier so I presume it's as it left the factory and is legal? I bought it at what I think was a good price from the widow of an old friend so I don't know it's history other than he bought it about a year ago and he only used it a couple of times. The battery is my main concern, it seems ok but a replacement isn't economical compared to what the bike cost me. Is it possible to test the battery to find out if it's any good?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks flecc.
I don't know which model my bike Is and all the photos I have seen of Alien bikes look very similar. Mine has a 250w front hub motor and the battery is mounted on a rear carrier so I presume it's as it left the factory and is legal? I bought it at what I think was a good price from the widow of an old friend so I don't know it's history other than he bought it about a year ago and he only used it a couple of times. The battery is my main concern, it seems ok but a replacement isn't economical compared to what the bike cost me. Is it possible to test the battery to find out if it's any good?
As you say Garry, their models all looked superficially the same and all had the rear carrier battery nmounting. It's good yours has the 250 watt rated motor and I understand they were still good performers with high current controllers. If you have or fit a bike speedo you'll be able to check the assist speed limit of course.

Since battery cells can measure ok for voltage even when dud, the only practical way to check the battery is by riding the bike to see how far you can ride and also whether it cuts out under load on hill climbs. Obviously in trying this stay close to home at first to avoid a long unpowered ride back when the battery runs out, but you'll soon get to know what you can expect.

E-bike range varies greatly, partly depending on the rider's fitness and how much effort they input, partly on the battery size, partly on the controller current and partly on the terrain, so you can see there are many variables.

Hopefully you'll get 20 miles at least and it could be much more.

Garry Poulton

Sep 18, 2018
West Midlands England
As you say Garry, their models all looked superficially the same and all had the rear carrier battery nmounting. It's good yours has the 250 watt rated motor and I understand they were still good performers with high current controllers. If you have or fit a bike speedo you'll be able to check the assist speed limit of course.

Since battery cells can measure ok for voltage even when dud, the only practical way to check the battery is by riding the bike to see how far you can ride and also whether it cuts out under load on hill climbs. Obviously in trying this stay close to home at first to avoid a long unpowered ride back when the battery runs out, but you'll soon get to know what you can expect.

E-bike range varies greatly, partly depending on the rider's fitness and how much effort they input, partly on the battery size, partly on the controller current and partly on the terrain, so you can see there are many variables.

Hopefully you'll get 20 miles at least and it could be much more.
.[/QU

I have been on several of our Thursday morning rides now and I haven't had any problems so far although I only use power on the steep hills of which there are quite a few and all seems ok. I think it's a case of fingers crossed for now and decide which route to take if the battery fails. I presume as long as the voltage and capacity is the same I could fit a bottle type battery as a replacement, as they seem the cheapest option.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I presume as long as the voltage and capacity is the same I could fit a bottle type battery as a replacement, as they seem the cheapest option.
perhaps not the best way. The controller is in the box behind the saddle. You can still find replacement batteries on ebay with the same casing.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have been on several of our Thursday morning rides now and I haven't had any problems so far although I only use power on the steep hills of which there are quite a few and all seems ok. I think it's a case of fingers crossed for now and decide which route to take if the battery fails.
Sounds good then. Don't worry, batteries very rarely fail suddenly, they usually just decline in range, and when they start cutting out on hills, just switch off and then on again and use more gently until it becomes too irksome. Then it's new battery time. Don't buy another one too early, they can decline with age as well as use.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
will the magnetic field from the motor affect the computer?
no, lots of people do that. The spoke magnet being much closer, has a field strength much, much greater that what leaks out of the motor.

Garry Poulton

Sep 18, 2018
West Midlands England
Hi flecc,
I have taken your advice and done a range test today, I did a ride which included flat and some good hills and after 20 miles I was done in but the battery was still going strong. I know it's only an indication but the led battery condition display still shows 3 green segments with no load and the 2 amp charger took about 3 hours to do it's job. Thanks for the suggestion I now have confidence in the battery.
Garry