New Q100 for Xmas

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

The Q100 already gives pretty good torque and power, especially if you run it with 44v and about 17 amps, but now there's a new high-power version - the Q100H with 30% more torque. Everything else is the same. I'm wondering if you can just swap the core rather than build a new wheel. There's now a 260 rpm version, which should be spot on considering the higher torque. It gets better all the time.

http://www.bmsbattery.com/front-driving/630-250w350w-q-85100sx-motor-e-bike-kit.html

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
The Q100 already gives pretty good torque and power, especially if you run it with 44v and about 17 amps, but now there's a new high-power version - the Q100H with 30% more torque. Everything else is the same. I'm wondering if you can just swap the core rather than build a new wheel. There's now a 260 rpm version, which should be spot on considering the higher torque. It gets better all the time.

Q100H 36V350W Front Driving EBike Hub Motor - BMSBATTERY
Very good information and very cheap, to make things more understanding and in all cases (any motor type) within the specification guide,why the torque reading is never listed ? I am sure that this may be better than saying that the torque has been increased by 30 percent. This only benefits people who already have the Q100 motor to make a comparison.

MS.

D

Deleted member 4366

I've ordered a couple for my Rocky Mountain. It should be much better at 260 rpm. The extra torque will be a bonus, but I wasn't short of torque with two motors.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I've ordered a couple for my Rocky Mountain. It should be much better at 260 rpm. The extra torque will be a bonus, but I wasn't short of torque with two motors.
Looking forward to hearing the speed and hill climbing abilities of this motor (at 17a 44v)!

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I wish they could do a CST version of it.

Pat

D

Deleted member 4366

I think that'll come next. You'll just have to wait.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
D8veh, will you be using the two together, ie front and rear? Will you be / are you using one controller?

I know you did a write up once but memory isn't so good!

Am thinking about a rear motor to go in my eZee Torq 2 (eZee motor/disc brake version). Am wanting to share the load between two motors. (It will be another 60v lipo set up strictly for off road use). It'll be spring though before it gets done - house move (but more frustratingly its the workshop move that goes with it!)

D

Deleted member 4366

I will be using both front and rear motors to replace the two 201 rpm ones in my Rocky mountain. You need two controllers for two motors, but they can be worked from the same throttle if you have a Cycle Analyst, or you can make a double throttle like I did. I have just the rear one connected to the pedal sensor, and both operate with the throttle for extra climbing power or off-road traction.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I will be using both front and rear motors to replace the two 201 rpm ones in my Rocky mountain. You need two controllers for two motors, but they can be worked from the same throttle if you have a Cycle Analyst, or you can make a double throttle like I did. I have just the rear one connected to the pedal sensor, and both operate with the throttle for extra climbing power or off-road traction.
That's a nice looking bike.

Gdread

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi, sorry if a silly question but I've currently got a GBK100 on the front, if I order another for the rear could I sensibly run both motors on my Panasonic 9ah battery? It's only a short commute of 6 miles round trip each day but I'm tempted with more tinkering! Cheers

D

Deleted member 4366

The motors are now installed, and I did a brief test in the rain without taking any measurements. I would say they give about 10% more torque and about 10% more speed on the road than the original ones. Still nice and smooth and quiet.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Nice 10% is a big improvement wish they can release the cst version soon

Slight off topic, I am struggling to secure the battery triangle to the frame. How did you fix the battery triangle box to the frame ?

Thanks
Pat

D

Deleted member 4366

It uses the two sets of bottle fixings on the downtube and the seat-post. There's also a couple of stainless "L" bracket holding it to the front of the suspension mount, which you can just see in the photo above.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
so nice. I bought exactly the same. 2 Q100H 201 RPM...

I wonder which bike would be best for them for city commuting? Maybe a lightweight trek bike?

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
What about a Q100H @ 201rpm and 12s for a 20'' wheel in singlespeed? Max speed would be slightly above 25km/h (25*(20/26)*(44/36)*1.1 = 25.85 km/h), so the bike would be within the European rules.

From what I have read, both the KU65 and the S06S can withstand 12s (not 13s though), and according to d8veh I believe, 12s gives the right "juice" to this motor.

What would be better, a KU65 or a S06S? I tend to believe the S06S, since it is more subtle, and the PAS (especially with the LED http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/670-s-led770-e-bike-led-meter.html I guess) would be better than with the KU65, which is important for a singlespeed.

Would this configuration be reasonable? Alongside a HWBS for the rear brake and without a throttle, the handlebar would only have the two brake levers, the LCD at the center and the small add-on of the LCD close to the fingers, so very "minimalistic".

D

Deleted member 4366

A Q100H of 240 rpm would be better. You can limit the speed in the software.

Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
A Q100H of 240 rpm would be better. You can limit the speed in the software.
Thanks, d8veh. It is a 260rpm, not 240rpm, right?

Sorry to ask for such a naive question: why a Q100H of more rpm would be better than a 201rpm one, if I want to limit max speed to 25km/h (assuming the 201rpm already provides 25km/h)?

If I understand correctly, there is a trade-off between speed and torque: a 201rpm motor will be "torquier" than a higher rpm one, at the expense of lower max speed. But since max speed is limited, the increased speed provided by the 260rpm is "lost", but the 260rpm also provides less torque.

So, using my naive argument, the 201rpm would be "better". Why then are you arguing for a higher rpm motor?

I can imagine a reason: the most efficient speed for a motor is usually significantly below max speed. Maybe the most efficient speed for a 201rpm motor is "too low" for normal usage, and the 260rpm is "spot on"?

D

Deleted member 4366

Peak power and efficiency come at about 2/3 and 3/4 maximum RPM, s0 a 201 rpm 36v motor at actual 39v will have peak power and efficiency at 10 mph and 12mph. If you want to travel at 15mph, a 20mph restricted bike would be better. I though you wanted to run it in a small wheel too.

Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Peak power and efficiency come at about 2/3 and 3/4 maximum RPM, s0 a 201 rpm 36v motor at actual 39v will have peak power and efficiency at 10 mph and 12mph. If you want to travel at 15mph, a 20mph restricted bike would be better. I though you wanted to run it in a small wheel too.
Ah, that's the reason, thanks d8veh.

Yes, my initial idea was (and my target continues being the same) a 20'' wheel. But since I have two 26'' bikes available and none in 20'', and both will be useful to my friends / family if I electrify them, I will start with 26'' bikes.

But I am not considering a Q100H except if the frame were 120mm O.L.D. Otherwise, I prefer the Xiongda, clearly (based only on third party opinions, though ... but some of them are quite reliable to me ;) ). In fact, as stated in

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/third-attempt-to-build-my-e-bike.17487/

I am close to purchase two of them. Do you have any comments about that thread about the configuration (apart from the one on the rack), by the way?

Last edited: