rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) this month advised local authorities and planners to prioritise cyclists, pedestrians and public transport use when building or upgrading roads to encourage higher levels of physical activity.
Guidelines encourage safe, convenient and inclusive access for all, with measures also addressing those with limited mobility.
Xavier Brice of Sustrans, the walking and cycling charity said:
“We welcome the proposal from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), which puts the needs of our most vulnerable road users first. For too long roads in our towns and cities have been dominated by cars. A shift to people-prioritised streets will not only encourage more of the public to travel actively but also help to create safer environments for everyone to move around in.
“Involving local authorities and residents in the redesign of their neighbourhoods and streets is essential; it ensures a good design that targets the...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: flecc

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
I remember seeing an item on roads in, I think, Rio, where no provision had been made for pedestrians, and it showed people running up concrete slopes to try and get to where they were going. We have a similar situation on an industrial estate around here. Not a thought for pedestrians walking to Screwfix, City Plumbing etc!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I remember seeing an item on roads in, I think, Rio, where no provision had been made for pedestrians, and it showed people running up concrete slopes to try and get to where they were going. We have a similar situation on an industrial estate around here. Not a thought for pedestrians walking to Screwfix, City Plumbing etc!
Dropped kerbs a few feet from the junction is a big bugbear of mine, in the wrong place and I never ever use them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dropped kerbs a few feet from the junction is a big bugbear of mine, in the wrong place and I never ever use them.
The silly thing is that pedestrians rarely use them for the same reason, even some pushchair users not bothering and using their handling skills to kerb hop. Makes them almost pointless, other than for the rare wheelchair.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Slartibartfast

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2019
Industrial exists near me the bike lane crosses the busy dual carriageway 14 times in a mile and half.
They can do it with university towns & cities, why not normal places?

Related Articles

Advertisers