New Tesla Model 3

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35940302

Would love a bit more information about the Batteries.

200+ range sounds too good to be true but could prove a game changer if the claims are accurate.
The ranges on these are correct Kenny, the 200 miles easy to achieve and even 300 miles with care. There's a big difference in the battery technology between the Tesla models and such as the Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe which have ranges often well below 100 miles.

Those last two use li-ion laminate cells somewhat similar to the cells in many of our e-bike batteries of ten years ago. For example, this Phylion one from back then used ten large rectangular cells of 10 Ah each, while today's batteries often use as many as 50 or more industry standard 18650 cells which is far more efficient.

And that's these car differences. The Nissan Leaf uses just 192 large flat cells, but a Tesla model uses typically 6200 of the smaller high efficiency 18650 cells.

Of course this makes a vast difference to the car prices, the Tesla needs a very complex BMS and charging arrangement to cope with all those cells and keep them in balance and the cost of the 6200 cells is very high. Rounded existing Tesla car prices are £60k to £90k and battery replacement time will really hurt too!

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it may be more cost effective to subsidize and strengthen polution control in ICE vehicles than to subsidize electric vehicles until such a time when battey cost comes down to less than half today's cost.

Reactions: Kenny

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Thanks for explanation flecc.

Makes you wonder how there going to be viable at the base price of £24.5 K.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for explanation flecc.

Makes you wonder how there going to be viable at the base price of £24.5 K.
I haven't precise details on the model 3, but looking at their claims it's likely they've cut back a little on the number of cells, hence a somewhat lower range claim than for the earlier two models.

The US price is $35,000 and dollar prices usually seem to translate direct to pounds for UK consumers when products reach our shores, so more likely to be around £35,000 for us.

Still a good price for a more capable EV though, with the Leaf list prices from £21k to £28k. If they can get the Tesla 3 just below £30k, it will seriously damage the Nissan Leaf market.

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
its easy to find big discounts on the Leaf: £11000 off list at CarWow.
Tesla model 3 could be seriously tempting if it comes under £30K

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
its easy to find big discounts on the Leaf: £11000 off list at CarWow.
Tesla model 3 could be seriously tempting if it comes under £30K
Not now, that quote from Carwow was what I achieved last December, and they've been quoting it ever since! :D. It was for the base model Visia and was only from two northern dealers. It hasn't been valid since. Those in my southern area were considerably higher.

Currently there was a deal from Bristol Street Motors at £17499 for the Acenta mid model which ended Thursday 31st, though it's still shown online despite being invalid.

Only other offers currently are an official PCP deal which conceals the true total prices. It will probably be mid Winter again for a much better deal.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wish Tesla turned their attention to ebikes.
That could be interesting, but the better e-bikes have been using Tesla style battery technology for quite a while now, using large numbers of the best 18650 cells. So they'd be unlikely to bring anything new on the battery side. I'd be interested in their view of e-bike motor systems though.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They are already helping us - the Giga factory will be a big game changer in the pricing of cells. Over on ES there is some talk about Tesla moving to larger cells to increase energy density. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=72208

The physical size difference is small enough so that they can fit the new cells into the old battery "pack" and Samsung has shown these cells in e-bike packs last year.

Reactions: flecc
C

Cyclezee

So has anyone on here put down a £1000 deposit yet on the model 3?

C

Cyclezee

I have to drive to Cumbria at the beginning of next week and my Renault Espace is off the road with a broken coil spring:(

I was shopping around for a hire car and came across a used Nissan Leaf that I could hire through https://www.easycar.com/#_ga=1.30676345.757102921.1461183476 for £27.65 per day which sounds a bargain, but the range won't be great and I would spend a lot of time charging it, so I gave it a miss.

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
So has anyone on here put down a £1000 deposit yet on the model 3?
I did. Can cancel it if something better comes along. I've just got a new car so would be happy if the model 3 is released in 2020. :)

C

Cyclezee

I did. Can cancel it if something better comes along. I've just got a new car so would be happy if the model 3 is released in 2020. :)
I'm tempted, but wonder if I should have a clause added to my will incase I am not around to collecto_O

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
How old are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisers