New to E bikes

Mark *

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 14, 2021
Hi all,

I'm looking for a e bike that i can go and get my shopping on until i get a car .The bike will be used to whizz around town and to be used for runs out into the country side for enjoyment and fitness.
I would like a Aluminium frame and as many gears as i can get, decent suspension, Throttle and pedal assist , must have a decent rack on the back for cargo (shopping bags) ,adjustable handlebars, hydraulic disc brakes, good quality battery with a decent range.

That's as far as my google/ you tube search has come up with ? I never seriously realised that finding a e bike would be so stressful ? I would like to spend about £2,500 on a bike ? I'm so confused and worried that ill be making a mistake and when i purchase one ill then see one and think why didn't i buy that ? Being autistic doesn't help when your trying to make your mind up ? can anyone try and guide me to a retailer ,or the bikes that others use and come highly recommended .

I'm 6'1" and weigh about 16 stone .

Many thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would like a Aluminium frame and as many gears as i can get, decent suspension, Throttle and pedal assist , must have a decent rack on the back for cargo (shopping bags) ,adjustable handlebars, hydraulic disc brakes, good quality battery with a decent range.
Woosh Gran-Camino:
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gran-camino

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most bikes are limited for cargo using traditional bikes styles and a couple of panniers, ok if you only want two bags of shopping. Ideally a fold up trailer with box or better still if one has room a long tail cargo bike that can carry two massive over size panniers and a long top deck for a box as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Your Throttle requirement limits your choices to a few bikes or some kits. I agree with woosh, the woosh gran camino ticks all your boxes. We have a woosh rambletta and its fantastic.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Being autistic doesn't help when your trying to make your mind up
Tell me about it. I'm also ASD and researched just about every bike across 12 or so main manufacturers.
I opted for a Scott, though mountain bike and twice your budget, but its a good company, spec is ok, it does have a bosch mid drive motor so maybe a bit better balanced. Spec at that price is quite basic. Nice modern style frame with the battery in the down tube.
Built in rack, lights and mudguards.

Cube bikes is another popular brand
This is also quite nice, again the popular bosch system, its an upgrade from the motor on the Scott and the same specced on my mtb.
Much like the Scott the spec is basic, but perfectly usable.

Oh incidentally I'm 6'3" and 14 1/2 stone. The bikes above and what you find with the larger manufacturers come is a wide range of sizes, not just one which in my humble opinion cannot really accommodate everyone. Someone small might find the seat tube the right height, but the top tube to much of a stretch, and someone too tall might find the ST too short meaning the seat post is set high, and youre leaning downward like a racing bike which is not really that comfortable.
So for your height 185cm, and inside leg im guessing 34" or 86cm would be a large in either the Scott or the Cube.

My only advice to you is to look via google and see what bike shops are near you that deal with the above manufacturers(although youre not stuck with them, this is a personal choice and nobody can pick it for you, but you can understand theres many parameters to cover not just the spec, but also frame size geometry and usage.
By buying from a shop nearish to you(you can always get a lift there) should anything go amiss or wrong it is considerably easier to take it in physically than to try to parcel it u and return it through the postal system,

Reactions: Mark *

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Tell me about it. I'm also ASD and researched just about every bike across 12 or so main manufacturers.
I opted for a Scott, though mountain bike and twice your budget, but its a good company, spec is ok, it does have a bosch mid drive motor so maybe a bit better balanced. Spec at that price is quite basic. Nice modern style frame with the battery in the down tube.
Built in rack, lights and mudguards.

Cube bikes is another popular brand
This is also quite nice, again the popular bosch system, its an upgrade from the motor on the Scott and the same specced on my mtb.
Much like the Scott the spec is basic, but perfectly usable.

Oh incidentally I'm 6'3" and 14 1/2 stone. The bikes above and what you find with the larger manufacturers come is a wide range of sizes, not just one which in my humble opinion cannot really accommodate everyone. Someone small might find the seat tube the right height, but the top tube to much of a stretch, and someone too tall might find the ST too short meaning the seat post is set high, and youre leaning downward like a racing bike which is not really that comfortable.
So for your height 185cm, and inside leg im guessing 34" or 86cm would be a large in either the Scott or the Cube.

My only advice to you is to look via google and see what bike shops are near you that deal with the above manufacturers(although youre not stuck with them, this is a personal choice and nobody can pick it for you, but you can understand theres many parameters to cover not just the spec, but also frame size geometry and usage.
By buying from a shop nearish to you(you can always get a lift there) should anything go amiss or wrong it is considerably easier to take it in physically than to try to parcel it u and return it through the postal system,
All good advice, being the same height as you I also have to be careful of the frame size. But for just pottering about and short commutes electric bikes are more forgiving of frame size. The throttle requirement rules out all major brands, if this requirement was dropped many more choices would be available.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
It wont do much for fitness buying an electric motorbike. Might as well be comfortable and get an enclosed electric grannie mobile

Mark *

Oct 14, 2021
Hi all,

Went to local retailer yesterday , looked at cube touring hybrid £2499.00 and one i fell in love with was the Giant explore E+1 GTS £3299.00 . just been looking at cube Kathmandu hybrid pro 625 ? for me its definitely between these two manufactures. what ever happens i am going to be a proud e bike owner next week as they are holding the bikes for me. Any comments would be greatly appreciated .

many thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
giant use the yamaha motor but make there own displays and batts and can be a problem if something goes wrong and parts are expensive and hard to get without a bike dealer for support if something does go wrong under warranty.

id ask how much a replacement batt will cost as wont be cheap and could be more than a standard Yamaha batt which are also hard to get hold off.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I have no issue with Giant, but the Cube Kathmandu has a better motor(in my very humble opinion) more range on the battery and as above with the Bosch its got a fair amount of experience behind it, whereas Yamaha are known for petrol motors, not electric, nor batteries which Bosch have specialized in for over 20 years.
Bosch motor is good with lower cadence(the speed your legs go round), you can ride slow and easy(Or something like that )
The Cube i think has a better fork, which is anodized
11 speed on the Cube, 10 on the Giant.

Annnnnnnnd the Cube comes with a bum comfy suspension seatpost ;) :D

If I had to choose between the two, it wouldn't be the giant.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Throttle idea has been dropped !
why drop when you have both?
It's a godsend with your weight when you ride up a steep hill.

Mark *

Oct 14, 2021
giant use the yamaha motor but make there own displays and batts and can be a problem if something goes wrong and parts are expensive and hard to get without a bike dealer for support if something does go wrong under warranty.

id ask how much a replacement batt will cost as wont be cheap and could be more than a standard Yamaha batt which are also hard to get hold off.

When i was looking locally i made sure that warranty and servicing wouldn't be a problem for me ,because i don't drive at the moment. my local dealers are all within 15 minutes to 30 minutes away. I did hear a conversation about dealers waiting 6 months to a year for stock while i was there ? The bike dealer that's closest has a big following and is known for sales and service. But i will ask all the above and make sure any foreseeable problems are all on my checklist. part of me wants to go with Bosch (cube) and the other half Giant, i have also discovered a local dealer who retail Haibike who i like as well because of the German link.

Many thanks to everybody who has taken the time to respond ,and i am trying to absorb all the information.

I really am looking forward entering into the world of E bike's and cant wait.

Many Thanks.