New Torq gear cable problem - help!

WoodyAlan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 21, 2007
Shropshire
Hi, brand new Torq for 50 cycles, only on 3rd ride, gears suddenly dont respond to changing levers. Im a complete novice when it comes to bike repairs but had a look, and found that gear changing wire and plastic had 'jumped out' of housing where it runs along back end of bike frame and gear cable was very slack.....except now I cant get it back behind the holder - why is that?.

Ive tried lossening the gear wire and retightening it, everything seemed very loose before I started this, and a connector at the gear housing (sorry dont know terminology) was loose to the extent that it could almost be unsrewed. Ive tried rethreading all the gears (loosening the 'excess' bit of wire, pulling taut etc) but the gears still wont respond to the lever change? now Ive got a bike stuck in top gear that I cant use.

Anyone spot what I need to do to fix this? Im not keen on having to send this back to 50cycles if its a simple job to fix, but equally I did expect to be able to use a bike 3 times before it had problems. If its not a simple job Im considering a return to 50cycles.

Thanks in advance for any advice

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It sounds like the rear changer may have stuck for some reason, letting the cable jump out. It probably only really needed the rear changer mechanism freeing up and the cable outer refitted in it's frame cup at both ends. Now you've altered the cable it may need more attention to correct that.

This can be just a normal bike shop repair though, the gears being a standard Shimano Sora set. If you don't want to send the bike back to 50cycles, any competent bike shop mechanic can fix it for you without any problem, making sure it's freely operating and correcting any alterations that you've made.

If the repairer says it more serious/expensive on inspection, you still have the option of returning it open to you.

Last edited:

WoodyAlan

Feb 21, 2007
Shropshire
Thanks flecc, knew I would b*gger it up by havng a go. Will pop to local bike repair shop and see if they can do what you say.

Thanks, at least its not a major problem :)

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Gear changer problem

It sounds like the rear changer may have stuck for some reason, letting the cable jump out. It probably only really needed the rear changer mechanism freeing up and the cable outer refitted in it's frame cup at both ends. Now you've altered the cable it may need more attention to correct that.

This can be just a normal bike shop repair though, the gears being a standard Shimano Sora set. If you don't want to send the bike back to 50cycles, any competent bike shop mechanic can fix it for you without any problem, making sure it's freely operating and correcting any alterations that you've made.

If the repairer says it more serious/expensive on inspection, you still have the option of returning it open to you.
I have a Torq!
It's a pity that Ezee/50Cycles did not supply the maintenance instructions for the Rear Gear mechanism (Sora). They are very detailed with exploded views and clear and precise instructions as to how to maintain the mech.
You can get it off the web: on Google dialogue box enter Shimano and search for the site "Shimano Europe Home". hit the Technical Services button on the top menu, then Technical Documents MORE. In the ROAD Bikes Window on the left hit the arrow for the drop-down menu and SORA is on the list. Click on it and scroll down to rear derailleurs (near the bottom of the list) Click on "RD3300" and you get an exploded view of the mech in PDF Format. Click on "SI-5TTOC" and you get maintenance instructions which you can print. for future reference.
Good luck
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have a Torq!
It's a pity that Ezee/50Cycles did not supply the maintenance instructions for the Rear Gear mechanism (Sora).
Peter
That's strange, I did get the usual Shimano literature with my Torq, the folded sheet instructions with assembly and adjustment procedures and settings, these for the change mechanisms, gear lever and the same for the rear roller brake.

I've just checked through the link info you've given, and that's exactly what I got with my Torq in July last year.

Last edited:

painter

Jan 5, 2007
gears

Try park tool usa web site then calvins corner he can tell you how to fix anything best wishes painter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
That's strange, I did get the usual Shimano literature with my Torq, the folded sheet instructions with assembly and adjustment procedures and settings, these for the change mechanisms, gear lever and the same for the rear roller brake.

I've just checked through the link info you've given, and that's exactly what I got with my Torq in July last year.
Lucky you Flecc.
I got the instruction/maintenance guide for the shifting levers and the roller brake and the computer and the Torq maintenance guide which was virtually a copy from the Sprint Manual. It told me (amongst some other half truths yet to be discovered) that the electric cables enter from the left side of the hub - which they do on the Sprint and the Chopper. A few gramatical corrections were necessary. I'm glad I was advised some time ago about the Technical Shimano Site - it's a "national treasure".
Ah! So you got your Torq at much the same time I got mine
The battery on my Torq (fiully charged) cut out on the same 7% hill that the Chopper motor stopped on - when I tried the Chopper battery in my Torq it did the same thing. Now the Torq battery is up to the same tricks.
The head wind going South East today was very strong and I think the hill may have been temporarily increased by a couple of %age points because of that. I'll give it another blast when the weather improves before I call up assistance.
Peter

Mike Robinson

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Perhaps it might be better to give 50cycles a quick call on Monday morning just to let them help sort out the problem before you make it worse ;)

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Battery Problems - Li-ion

Perhaps it might be better to give 50cycles a quick call on Monday morning just to let them help sort out the problem before you make it worse ;)
Yes, I have stopped using the bikes, pro tem.
I put in a "fault report" form to 50Cycles last Thursday (? - Time flies) and am expecting a call/solution/visit from the 'sag wagon' in line with their promise "we take reports of faults and other problems very seriously" - so I'm hoping for some action: "Tomorrow? Better today." (as Jack Niklas would say) :)
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The battery on my Torq (fiully charged) cut out on the same 7% hill that the Chopper motor stopped on - when I tried the Chopper battery in my Torq it did the same thing. Now the Torq battery is up to the same tricks.

Peter
Both Li-ions I'll bet. They start at higher voltage, but drop more than NiMh when under high load, and once down at 32 volts the safety cutout operates.

NiMh starts with less voltage but doesn't drop as much so doesn't cut out in extreme conditions. Therefore I use both types on a "horses for courses" basis.

Those in areas with few or moderate hills usually never experience a cutout, nor do the fittest Torq riders who put most pedal work in.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
The good old summer time

Both Li-ions I'll bet. They start at higher voltage, but drop more than NiMh when under high load, and once down at 32 volts the safety cutout operates.

NiMh starts with less voltage but doesn't drop as much so doesn't cut out in extreme conditions. Therefore I use both types on a "horses for courses" basis.

Those in areas with few or moderate hills usually never experience a cutout, nor do the fittest Torq riders who put most pedal work in.
I have 50 Cycles looking into this - I've acquainted them with the new (same) problem with the Torq Battery (li-ion) and they are captivated into beginning to look into my problem.
If it is endemic in Li-ion batteries, will the arrival of summer (recognised either by 2 Swallows or 1 Cuckoo - or does the Cuckoo herald something else?):) when the temperature reaches 21C, cure the problem? It did not happen last year in October (which was a bit like summer).
Neither did it happen on Shaftesbury Hill (9%-10%) when I tried the the Torq last week when the temp. was ~10C (as it was on Sunday last).
Ironically, I was on my way to Shaftesbury Hill on the Chopper to see if it would climb it unassisted. The answer came sooner than I expected.:(
I advised "Minnesota" to move to Florida and sell the Igloo - perhaps I should move to Lincolnshsire!
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The cold winter weather certainly brings it on more. One of my Li-ions has been in part-charged store in my cold garage for the latter half of the winter, since it cuts out all too easily. As it gets warmer I'll bring it back into service to get some more life out of it until it becomes too much of a nuisance.

After that it may go under the knife for radical surgery to be reborn in a different lifeform. More from space at a later date. ;)

Last edited:

Mike Robinson

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Yes, I have stopped using the bikes, pro tem.
I put in a "fault report" form to 50Cycles last Thursday (? - Time flies) and am expecting a call/solution/visit from the 'sag wagon' in line with their promise "we take reports of faults and other problems very seriously" - so I'm hoping for some action: "Tomorrow? Better today." (as Jack Niklas would say) :)
Peter
Sorry Pete - didn't know that that was the situation. Hopefully they'll come for you soon.

Mike