New wheels/tires

Con2k

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2016
uk
I have a Kalkhoff integrale s10 and i would like to change the wheels/tires on it for something lighter/thiner tires.
ATM it has Schwalbe Big Ben, 50-622 tires and DT Swiss 545D rims for a start i would like to try not so big tires and i saw Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires im just not sure if a 25/28c would be suitible as the bike is quite heavy. the ones it comes with seem to be fine just a little bulky for my liking.

Any help would be great.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have a Kalkhoff integrale s10 and i would like to change the wheels/tires on it for something lighter/thiner tires.
ATM it has Schwalbe Big Ben, 50-622 tires and DT Swiss 545D rims for a start i would like to try not so big tires and i saw Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires im just not sure if a 25/28c would be suitible as the bike is quite heavy. the ones it comes with seem to be fine just a little bulky for my liking.

Any help would be great.
Please tell me when you want rid of them! I will take them off your hands and even pay for postage! :rolleyes: DT Swiss rims? Be still my heart!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I remembered this:

"Why do professional road racers use narrow tires?

Wide tires only roll easier with the same inflation pressure. Narrow tires are used however with a higher inflation pressure, which makes them of course less comfortable.

In addition to this, narrow tires have an advantage over wider tires at higher speeds, as they provide less air resistance.

Above all, a bicycle with narrow tires is much easier to accelerate, because the rotating mass of the wheels is lower and the bicycle is much more agile. The importance of this aspect becomes clear very quickly, when you ride in a fast group of cyclists and when you have to accelerate rapidly from 20 to 40 km/h after a sharp turn in order to keep up with the others.

But at a constant speed of around 20 km/h, the ride is better with wider tires. In practice, the energy saving is even greater than in theory, as the elasticity of the tires absorbs road shocks, which would otherwise be transferred to the rider and thus saves energy.

And professional road racers are tending to ride wider tires more and more. The tire widths of 18 and 20 mm are hardly available anymore. And instead of the current standard width of 23 mm, the professional road racers choose more and more tires with widths of 24 or 25 mm."

I would be scared to ride on 25C tyres now I have tried 2" Big Bens, especially on gravel and in the wet. I am not racing so the comfort and the sensation of security at 45+ km/h compensate for the extra weight.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
I have Continental Top Contact eco tyres, they are specifically for E-bikes and have found them very good in all conditions, they are beadless so are very light also they have a Vectran band built into the tread but I soon got a puncture in the rear tyre soon after fitting them so I fitted a Kevlar band, quite expensive at around £40 a tyre and have had them on for 1500 miles and the tread has quite a few cuts in it and probably has limited life left in them, to be honest I don't think they are worth the money and will probably try something else next time.

Advertisers