New Wisper 906 Alpino - serious problems - help!

MGR1

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Hi all.

My new Wisper 906 Alpino arrived yesterday. It was defective when I powered it up. Battery status is four green lights, however display on handlebars shows battery "Lo" symbol, and motor does not run. When I turn on the power the code "27" shows in the display, then the "Lo" symbol. Charging the battery does not make any difference, it still shows low in the display but four green lights on the battery itself. The lights do not work when I switch them on. I measured the voltage at the battery terminals, it is 38.5 volts. Also checked both battery fuses, they are OK.

Further on, there was paint damage in several places on the frame and parts, and the fitment of the mudguards and some other items is best described as sloppy. The main fuse holder had some plumbers tape around it. Some screws on the frame are chewed up or cross-threaded.

The dealer first didn't answer my mails or calls, but finally when I got in contact with him seems baffled by the problem. He suggests changing the battery, but to me it seems to be an electronic problem. Hopefully I will get another battery from him tomorrow and can try it out, but I would like hear if any forum members here have similar experience?

Also, is it acceptable that a £2000 bike has scratches and ill-fitting parts? Am I too demanding?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
If the battery is knackered then it could show like that, IIRC they no load voltage should be about 42V. As for the damage my 906 was in excellent condition as I’d expect, I think everything fitted well bug it was over a year ago I got it.

MGR1

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Now when I measure the battery voltage after a full charge it shows 41.7 volts. Still shows "Lo" in the handlebar display.

Michael

D

Deleted member 4366

It sounds like you've been sold an ex-demo one. I'm not an expert on these, but there's been reports in this forum of problems with the fuse holder, which melts and damages the contacts - or something like that because it's not a high enough amp rating. Wisper are aware of this problem, so you should give them a call., but in view of the other things, you should categorically reject this bike and ask for a proper new one - if that's what you paid for. You should peel back that tape and see what "repair" is underneath.

Last edited by a moderator:

MGR1

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
I also thought I got a demo bike, so I checked it very carefully. The front and rear discs do not have any wear, and there is still "flash" on the tyres. The speedo shows 00000,3 km. Under the tape the speedo is new. On the other hand it has a few scratches and other marks that a new bike should not have, but these could have been made when standing in the shop. The controller box compartment cover seems to have been opened several times, judging by the marks on the screws. One of these screws was cross-threaded.

The seller says that he has a 906 demo-bike that he uses himself to and from work. The one I bought was new but was assembled in august when he got it from Wisper UK. It was the only new 906 Alpino he had according to him. I have never been in their shop, it's 320 miles from here. There are no other Wisper bike resellers in Norway.

Not sure what to do now. I don't think it's the battery.

Michael

Last edited:

MGR1

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
I removed the plumbers tape (white teflon type) on the main fuse body btw. It seems it was there to make it watertight? Don't know who wrapped that on... The factory or the reseller?

The fuse body shows no damage or any sign of overheating.

Michael

MGR1

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Got a new battery today. No joy - still the same problem. Next step will probably be to change the controller.

Michael

MGR1

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
I checked the main fuse on my battery more closely later last night, and now I know why there was plumbers tape wrapped around it. The threads are gone. The fuse holder is obviously used. When I confronted the reseller with this he said "yes the threads are bad on these, poor design. But the new one should be good". The "new" battery has an older serial number than mine, and seems to be taken from a demo bike.

Also some pics of the paint damage on the main post. Should i expect this on a new bike? I'm fed up now, I admit.

Last edited:

michael sullivan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2010
Got a new battery today. No joy - still the same problem. Next step will probably be to change the controller.

Michael
Hi Michael
I ordered the new Alpino 906 last May having had a spin on the old model I had to wait till about three weeks ago for the new model to araive at the dealer in Ireland . The first time I went for a spin I found it hard to cycle on with the viberation, on the handle bars and coming from the back . It stoped power abou 3 mls from my home nearly killed me to cycle home witout powed ,measured voltage on battery was ok 43 volts , charged battery over nite , tryed next morning ,no joy controler still dead. Opened the plate covering controler over crank and found the wire cming from bace of battery holder loose where it goes into conector, put back plate , stil no joy opened plate again and found the conecton itself loose fixed that and worked on .One of screws crostreded ,went for spin and bike went dead again about 3 mls from home .The viberation wes tereble ,wife colected me and out wit test meter again no curent coming from battery looked at fuse it was blown.Now what blew that opened plate again and fount conector for lights had come apart and shorted off frame , put in glass 35 amp fuse thats all I could find to fit the holder . The prop stand was falling off and the mudguard clip han come off ,mudguard now down on tyre. Fixed up every thing took it for spin seemed ok, but I handle the viberation. I am told the Alpino is for EU marked its not for Irish roads of tar and chips surface dressing. Its a fine bike but looks like they were assembeled in a hurry. I think 28 ins wheels makes it to big and high ,powerfull motor alrite 16 amp battery ok . But its to rigid or some thing .So the upshot of the story was I took it back to the supplyer and got an 805 se insted which seems ok so far
Michael

MGR1

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Hi all.

Just wanted to say that I am in touch with Wisper now, and am confident that this problem will be quickly sorted. I have an engineering background and know that sometimes new things fail, so am not really worried about the technical issues.

I admit I was fed up at some point, due to the reseller not responding at first.

Michael

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
The issue is always not what goes wrong but how the company deals with it.

From my experience Wisper should be able to sort you out.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Michael thanks for the update and your understanding,

There have been problems with some of the fuse holders due to the extra current being drawn from the battery by our more powerful controller this year. However we have a fix which is available immediately and we are in the process of re tooling the outlet fuse holder cap as this is where the problem lays. Please accept my apologies, we will send out the fix now and a new fuse holder cap as soon as they are in. (If anyone else has a similar cut out problem please speak to your dealer and they will send you the fuse cap.)

I have spoken to our main dealer in Norway who in turn has spoken to your dealer in Elsykkel in Oslo. It seems that the bike may have been used for some light demo purposes and I imagine that is why the paint around the seat clamp has been damaged, is this effecting the seat adjustment? Would it be OK if you took this up with them directly? They also say that the bike has been working correctly in the past but mention that there were a couple of scratches on the LCD so they changed it, this seems to be the most like likely cause for the zero contact between the controller and LCD, it appears that the bike was not tested again after the change was made. I imagine there is a connection issue, I have heard there is a new LCD on it's way to you today, I hope this will cure the problem.

Please keep me informed of any developments.

Best regards

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Michael, all these issues seem to be with the pre delivery set up, I will call Marty and have a chat about it. Please accept my apologies and I hope you get on well with the 805fe, another good bike.

Best regards

David

michael sullivan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2010
Hi David, thanks for your coments , despite what I said the Alpino is a fine bike .Thank you for you going to contact Marty ,we might work some thing out ,and I might give the Alpino an other try , tell Marty you replyed to my coments on this forum and Marty might give me a ring .
Thanks again David
Yours hopefully
Michael

MGR1

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
I got a replacement display in the mail today, taken from a working demo bike. Still the same error, "Lo" blinking in the display, no power. I have told the seller to take the bike back.

MGR1

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
Well, just to end this thread; the dealer gave me a full refund. Guess I was really unlucky with that one. It's packed and ready to be collected by the carrier. I'm a bit unhappy to see it go I must admit, it is a nice looking bike. Now what to do next, do I dare to buy another one?

Advertisers