Newbie 8 fun conversion

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Hi all,

After a while of futile searching for a larger framed e-bike with a throttle, I figure the only way for me is to stick a kit on my current hybrid bike. I have toyed with the idea before, but reckon now I'll just go for it. The bike is a 2012 - 23" frame Giant Cypress Hybrid:

I'm going to buy an 8 Fun kit with a bottle battery. I know there are better kits available, but these are reasonably cheap and have a half decent reputation on here.

I expect it's not an ideal bike to convert, but it's just what I have and it is an extremely comfortable ride which is really important. I'm going to need to replace the brake levers / gear shifters, I'll fit the brake levers with the motor cut outs from the kit & will just fit some basic gear shifters such as these:

I'd really appreciate some advice on what forks would be suitable for the 700x40mm tyres and the front hub motor. Having read a few threads on fitting kits, I'm pretty sure the current SR Suntour CR7V forks would not be fit for purpose, but wondered what a reasonably priced alternative might be....

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Hi Rustic,
Zoom forks are pretty horrible & no parts are available to service them; so I'm told.
Suntour forks are reasonably ok usually, if not ideal for offroad, but yours do look a tad skinny. Are they ally or steel?
I assume you do have a 1" headtube, rather than the more common 1&1/8"

D

Deleted member 4366

I would have thought that you need 1 1/8" forks. What makes you think that you have 1"?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Rather than change the brake levers/shifters, why not use some hidden wire brake sensors. Would save you a load of agro.

The brake levers that come with those kits are normally plastic rubbish.