Newbie asking for advice about first ebike to get ca. £1200-1500

mischip

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2019
Hi all,

I’m sure this sort of advice has been asked and answered loads of times so if so, sorry for the repetition.

I’m looking to get an e-bike to commute to work part of the week and for the occasional jaunt out in the local countryside. The commute is 12 mile round trip (steepest gradient 24%, inbound elevation 160 m outbound elevation 281m) but I live near Huddersfield in a fairly hilly part of Yorkshire, so lots of dales and valleys to go up and down in. We are just on the edge of the Pennines/north Peak District. I’m reasonably fit (sore knees and lower back aside) and healthy but am looking to turn up at work in a decent state rather than looking like a raging tomato. I’d occasionally like to take it on the canal tow paths around us too and get to the top of some of the valley sides when the urge takes me for a bit of a view. Used to do a fair bit of walking but two young kids has cut that down considerably.

So I’m looking for a hybrid bike with a good quality motor with decent grunt and a reasonable battery, possibly a throttle (though not set on that), that comes with hydraulic brakes, some suspension, build in lock (if possible, not essential) and includes mud guards, pannier rack and integrated lights about £1200-1500.

A reasonable price is appealing as I may have to find a half and half solution to commuting involving driving 2-3 days, cycling 2-3 days as unlikely to be able to convert completely to cycle commuting.

My work is connected to the Cycle2Work scheme up to £1000 so although predominantly Halfords related I believe other suppliers are also involved.

So far I’ve been looking at the following:

Volt Pulse
Raleigh Motus
Raleigh Motus Tour
Cube Hybrid One 400 Easy Entry
Carrera Crossfuse

I see that Whoosh bikes have a good rep and would be interested in suggestions here too.

I’m usually quite good at doing some research and then picking out what I think is best but I’m struggling here as I have no biking previous history. While they all seem to be similar-ish there seem to be quite a few differences in suspension types, gears, tyres, drive types etc so not sure where the best pick is. I like the sound of the Bosch drive system but again not sure which drive system to go for and doesn’t have to be (I know the Volt isn’t Bosch powered) and not sure about mid-drive as opposed to rear hub.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc. on the above would be much appreciated, or on any local shops to visit (or avoid) and then I can decide which to go look at and possible try out. Thanks in advance! Really is much appreciated.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Hi all,

I’m sure this sort of advice has been asked and answered loads of times so if so, sorry for the repetition.

I’m looking to get an e-bike to commute to work part of the week and for the occasional jaunt out in the local countryside. The commute is 12 mile round trip (steepest gradient 24%, inbound elevation 160 m outbound elevation 281m) but I live near Huddersfield in a fairly hilly part of Yorkshire, so lots of dales and valleys to go up and down in. We are just on the edge of the Pennines/north Peak District. I’m reasonably fit (sore knees and lower back aside) and healthy but am looking to turn up at work in a decent state rather than looking like a raging tomato. I’d occasionally like to take it on the canal tow paths around us too and get to the top of some of the valley sides when the urge takes me for a bit of a view. Used to do a fair bit of walking but two young kids has cut that down considerably.

So I’m looking for a hybrid bike with a good quality motor with decent grunt and a reasonable battery, possibly a throttle (though not set on that), that comes with hydraulic brakes, some suspension, build in lock (if possible, not essential) and includes mud guards, pannier rack and integrated lights about £1200-1500.

A reasonable price is appealing as I may have to find a half and half solution to commuting involving driving 2-3 days, cycling 2-3 days as unlikely to be able to convert completely to cycle commuting.

My work is connected to the Cycle2Work scheme up to £1000 so although predominantly Halfords related I believe other suppliers are also involved.

So far I’ve been looking at the following:

Volt Pulse
Raleigh Motus
Raleigh Motus Tour
Cube Hybrid One 400 Easy Entry
Carrera Crossfuse

I see that Whoosh bikes have a good rep and would be interested in suggestions here too.

I’m usually quite good at doing some research and then picking out what I think is best but I’m struggling here as I have no biking previous history. While they all seem to be similar-ish there seem to be quite a few differences in suspension types, gears, tyres, drive types etc so not sure where the best pick is. I like the sound of the Bosch drive system but again not sure which drive system to go for and doesn’t have to be (I know the Volt isn’t Bosch powered) and not sure about mid-drive as opposed to rear hub.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc. on the above would be much appreciated, or on any local shops to visit (or avoid) and then I can decide which to go look at and possible try out. Thanks in advance! Really is much appreciated.
welcome mischip good list of bikes there. Also suggest having a look at the Oxygen. Great bikes great value and good after sales from South Yorks Electric Bikes at Rotherham. Pop in for a test ride

regards

• Agree
Reactions: mischip and Woosh

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Hi all,

Is that 24% gradient a typo or not? Because if's not you are either going to have to go with the more expensive mountain bike motors or use walk assist mode and push the bike up that gradient.

The Bosch Activeline Plus on both the Motus and Cube you list there is an excellent touring motor (and you can get the Cube Touring Hybrid 400 Iridium for £1400-1500 or so which comes with a good bike computer (Intuvia), integrated (and very good) pannier rack, mudguards and lights, so is within your budget) BUT it won't be happy with gradients of more than about 15%.

As for local bike shops - I can recommend Cycle Gear in the centre of Halifax. They will also sort out a trial for you.

mischip

Jan 7, 2019
Is that 24% gradient a typo or not? Because if's not you are either going to have to go with the more expensive mountain bike motors or use walk assist mode and push the bike up that gradient.

The Bosch Activeline Plus on both the Motus and Cube you list there is an excellent touring motor (and you can get the Cube Touring Hybrid 400 Iridium for £1400-1500 or so which comes with a good bike computer (Intuvia), integrated (and very good) pannier rack, mudguards and lights, so is within your budget) BUT it won't be happy with gradients of more than about 15%.

As for local bike shops - I can recommend Cycle Gear in the centre of Halifax. They will also sort out a trial for you.
Hi Andy. I put the route into a Bike Ride predictor on the Woosh pages and it said the steepest gradient was 25% but looking at the steepest parts they look to be 6-12% approx.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Woosh do excellent kits and service, but I'm afraid their Ride Predictor is not so good; and the steepest gradient is always very exaggerated. It samples too close horizontally for the reliability of the height data.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Hi Andy. I put the route into a Bike Ride predictor on the Woosh pages and it said the steepest gradient was 25% but looking at the steepest parts they look to be 6-12% approx.
Ah OK. 12% won't be an issue for the Activeline Plus.
Why not have a trial on a bike that has one to see how it feels?

Alternatives in your price bracket would be a MTB that is being sold off as demo or sale stock (you might be able to pick up a Haibike or Lapierre for £1500 if you are lucky) or various bikes that use Chinese hub motors and are assembled in the UK (Woosh and others).

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I'm sorry Andy that just isn't true. my old high geared and hub geared low torque bosch classic gets me up 25% gradients, I went off to create this segment in Holmfirth, I don't think Strava will back search activities and load me onto an e-bike segment (unless they've fixed it now).

When I returned here I see there are more posts about the gradient error, however my point stands, and I'm sure with lower gearing my bike would tackle even steeper hills without too much of a problem.

Annoyingly it would seem Strava now won't let you make short segments, so I had to keep adding distance to this on the flatter bit until I reached the distance Strava seems happy with.

25% gradient in parts https://www.strava.com/segments/19642299

ETA, oh I see Strava has fixed the issue and put me on so you can see my time and ride.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
it says 0.3km, 42m vertical, 9% average.
Are you sure it's your best?
(just joking)

Cooper Lane
E-Bike Segment Holmfirth, England, United Kingdom
  • Distance0.38km
  • Avg Grade9%
  • Lowest Elev151m
  • Highest Elev193m
  • Elev Difference42m
grrr o_O :) 30 odd % in parts, now if Strava would just let me make a short segment like it used to. ...

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I read up extensively on the Activeline Plus and several owners have said around 17-20% was tough for it and over 20% a no go. I suppose if you are light, fit and have low enough gearing and good stability you can get up most anything, and similarly a very short steep climb might be doable with a run up and/or a burst of human effort, but if it's on his daily commute a 24% gradient would be a PITA with an Activeline Plus and he'd be better of with a CX or PW.

As it is fact 12% it's no issue at all of course...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As it is fact 12% it's no issue at all of course...
the OP lives in Huddersfield, it's quite hilly around there.
He really could do with a CX or a high torque kit like my 48V SWX02.

Reactions: mischip

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
the OP lives in Huddersfield, it's quite hilly around there.
He really could do with a CX or a high torque kit like my 48V SWX02.
Sorry, no issue for the daily commute I meant.

As for leisure rides a higher torque motor trades off lower range (and sometimes a higher price/more noise) for better ability to get up the higher gradients.

He should probably try a few bikes on his commute and more adventurous leisure ride before he decides.

mischip

Jan 7, 2019
There aren't many places where you get 25% grade hills going on for miles.

Here's another one, iconic for some, not that steep in reality

https://www.strava.com/segments/19642694?filter=overall
That hill is pretty much out my back door! But thankfully I wouldn't have to go up it on my commute. Interesting that it averages 7% with most being 14.5%. That gives me a better feel for what my commute would be like (i.e. not that bad). And I have no intention of going up that hill (unless of course I take to cycling big time!). But it gives an indication of some of the inclines close by.

Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
That hill is pretty much out my back door! But thankfully I wouldn't have to go up it on my commute. Interesting that it averages 7% with most being 14.5%. That gives me a better feel for what my commute would be like (i.e. not that bad). And I have no intention of going up that hill (unless of course I take to cycling big time!). But it gives an indication of some of the inclines close by.
I'm sure that once you get going you will want to ride up it! you'll not stop once you get the bug, they're wonderful things are e-bikes. You'll be trying your hand at Cooper Lane too :)

Reactions: mischip

mischip

Jan 7, 2019
I'm sure that once you get going you will want to ride up it! you'll not stop once you get the bug, they're wonderful things are e-bikes. You'll be trying your hand at Cooper Lane too :)
I know Cooper Lane in Holmfirth. Not sure I'd walk up it let alone ride up it! :) Having said that I've walked many a hill and dale round here so just I'm just probably exaggerating. I take it you are local to the area (I'm over in Meltham). Would you have a suggestion for a bike around the £1200-£1500 that can cope with the hills around here? I'm leaning towards the Oxygen S-CROSS MTB at the moment.

Reactions: Artstu

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you can make it over the hill Juicy Bikes have a good reputation and claim to know about hills.
https://www.juicybike.co.uk/
(I've no personal experience of them)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I know Cooper Lane in Holmfirth. Not sure I'd walk up it let alone ride up it! :) Having said that I've walked many a hill and dale round here so just I'm just probably exaggerating. I take it you are local to the area (I'm over in Meltham). Would you have a suggestion for a bike around the £1200-£1500 that can cope with the hills around here? I'm leaning towards the Oxygen S-CROSS MTB at the moment.
I'm just a few miles south in the Peak District, I tackled Cooper lane a couple of years ago, if you follow the link I made earlier you should be able to see my stats and ride.

If you're going to spend most of your time off-road, say 80% then go for an MTB, but if it's the other way round at 80% or more road then I'd go hybrid.

I'd go for a 500 w/h battery and Bosch active plus, this bike is in budget and would probably be my choice, I find the Bosch crank drive to give a much more engaging ride than a hub-motor, they're more like riding a normal bike, so respond and work with you. Hub motors tend to do their thing regardless of the effort you put in.

Something like this https://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/m12b0s184p19823/CUBE-Cross-Hybrid-One-500-2018