Newbie......hello

PeteFace

Just Joined
Sep 27, 2016
Brighton
Hi guys, i’ve been reading through various posts about the mid drive Bafang set up.
Can you let me know how well the 250 W motor works? I’m interested in something a little bit more speedy on my commute so I’m not sure whether I need to buy 500 W or 250 W. If I was to get the 250 W motor is it correct that you can alter the settings to make it go faster can you tell me what speed I would go .
I realise there is lots of variables depending on weight etc. just a general overview would be great thank you.
I’ve also read on here that there were some 250 W branded motors that had 500 W engines is that correct? Also wondering best place to go in the uk to buy either the 500 or the 250?
Cheers Pete

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When we talk about speed, most are referring to how fast the wheel will spin from the motor. If you want speed on the road, you need power. 250W of output power gets you to 15 mph on a flat road with no wind if it's an MTB type bike without pedalling.

A BBS01 at default settings uses 15 amps at 36v, which is 540w. At an efficiency of around 65%, that gives an output power of 351W, but you only get 15 amps at low pedal speed. To get the full 15 amps, you'd need very high gearing. With sensible gearing, you should be able to get around 10 amps, so around 250w output power. From my experience of using a BBS01 at 15 amps, that sounds about right as I got around 15 mph without pedalling.

You can reprogram up to 18 amps to get 20% more power, and of course you can pedal too. Relaxed steady pedalling is about 100W. A regular non-competitive sports cyclist can sustain around 200w.

If you search the internet, you can find speed vs power calculators and graphs for various types of bikes to figure out exactly how fast you can go with your power.

PeteFace

Just Joined
Sep 27, 2016
Brighton
When we talk about speed, most are referring to how fast the wheel will spin from the motor. If you want speed on the road, you need power. 250W of output power gets you to 15 mph on a flat road with no wind if it's an MTB type bike without pedalling.

A BBS01 at default settings uses 15 amps at 36v, which is 540w. At an efficiency of around 65%, that gives an output power of 351W, but you only get 15 amps at low pedal speed. To get the full 15 amps, you'd need very high gearing. With sensible gearing, you should be able to get around 10 amps, so around 250w output power. From my experience of using a BBS01 at 15 amps, that sounds about right as I got around 15 mph without pedalling.

You can reprogram up to 18 amps to get 20% more power, and of course you can pedal too. Relaxed steady pedalling is about 100W. A regular non-competitive sports cyclist can sustain around 200w.

If you search the internet, you can find speed vs power calculators and graphs for various types of bikes to figure out exactly how fast you can go with your power.
Thanks much, interesting will search out the info. Pete

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi guys, i’ve been reading through various posts about the mid drive Bafang set up.
Can you let me know how well the 250 W motor works? I’m interested in something a little bit more speedy on my commute so I’m not sure whether I need to buy 500 W or 250 W. If I was to get the 250 W motor is it correct that you can alter the settings to make it go faster can you tell me what speed I would go .
I realise there is lots of variables depending on weight etc. just a general overview would be great thank you.
I’ve also read on here that there were some 250 W branded motors that had 500 W engines is that correct? Also wondering best place to go in the uk to buy either the 500 or the 250?
Cheers Pete
Eclipse bikes are good.reliable warranty support. 350w bbs01b is a good kit ive done 2400 miles so far on one. The 250w is the uk legal dumbed down version of the motor hard coded to 15amps.you CAN NOT increase this with a programming cable .the 350w can have 20amps max. the speed restriction is just changed by the display.enter a code 0512 on a secret screen.long press up & down together ,then again. my chunky tyre MTB gets about 22/23mph on a flat road surface with the 350w full power,unrestricted speed. thats with 42x13.obviously if you have a t11 cog. lighter road bike and road tyres ud get a few more mph.

i think the 250w branded '500w' version u are talking about is brighton cycles bbs01b ETM. something they created themselves, with thicker windings in the motor to handle higher current with the bbs02 s 25amp controller.

PeteFace

Just Joined
Sep 27, 2016
Brighton
Eclipse bikes are good.reliable warranty support. 350w bbs01b is a good kit ive done 2400 miles so far on one. The 250w is the uk legal dumbed down version of the motor hard coded to 15amps.you CAN NOT increase this with a programming cable .the 350w can have 20amps max. the speed restriction is just changed by the display.enter a code 0512 on a secret screen.long press up & down together ,then again. my chunky tyre MTB gets about 22/23mph on a flat road surface with the 350w full power,unrestricted speed. thats with 42x13.obviously if you have a t11 cog. lighter road bike and road tyres ud get a few more mph.

i think the 250w branded '500w' version u are talking about is brighton cycles bbs01b ETM. something they created themselves, with thicker windings in the motor to handle higher current with the bbs02 s 25amp controller.

Thanks Much, so would you say the 350w is worth getting against the 500w....is there much difference once you up the 350 to 20 amps.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Thanks Much, so would you say the 350w is worth getting against the 500w....is there much difference once you up the 350 to 20 amps.
without my watt meter installed im not sure whether its made much difference over its 18amp factory setting. its definitely got more oomph than the 250w.ive tried a friends 250w. whats more important is setting the 'keep current' to 100% over the typical factory set 60%.

Torque is the more important consideration over speed. the bbs01 s are 80n compared to the bbshd 160n.the power of the HD is amazing. its like comparing an aston martin to a ford fiesta, especially with a 52v battery.Even on lower PAS 13amps of 30 ,it wipes my 350w out. if you r thinking of brighton bikes ETM upgrade of the bbs01 ,100n torque, id definately go for it over the 350w.

I was out today on my bbs01 ,i use it a lot.But when you have a powerful bike ,you really notice how lacking lower power, 36v system bikes are, when riding into the headwind,accelerating,climbing hills etc.

PeteFace

Just Joined
Sep 27, 2016
Brighton
without my watt meter installed im not sure whether its made much difference over its 18amp factory setting. its definitely got more oomph than the 250w.ive tried a friends 250w. whats more important is setting the 'keep current' to 100% over the typical factory set 60%.

Torque is the more important consideration over speed. the bbs01 s are 80n compared to the bbshd 160n.the power of the HD is amazing. its like comparing an aston martin to a ford fiesta, especially with a 52v battery.Even on lower PAS 13amps of 30 ,it wipes my 350w out. if you r thinking of brighton bikes ETM upgrade of the bbs01 ,100n torque, id definately go for it over the 350w.

I was out today on my bbs01 ,i use it a lot.But when you have a powerful bike ,you really notice how lacking lower power, 36v system bikes are, when riding into the headwind,accelerating,climbing hills etc.

Thanks man, I’ve had a chat with Darren this afternoon about the ETM. Really informative and sounds like exactly what I’m after. I’m in Brighton so going to go over there and have a chat with him and show him my bike. Also have go on one that he has set up. Appreciate your help.....thanks much. Pete

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks man, I’ve had a chat with Darren this afternoon about the ETM. Really informative and sounds like exactly what I’m after. I’m in Brighton so going to go over there and have a chat with him and show him my bike. Also have go on one that he has set up. Appreciate your help.....thanks much. Pete
Darren is a top chap, very knowledgeable and personal service . A bbsxx expert no doubt

In also local and have bought a bit and various bits and Bobs. Never an issue and always happy to help in my experience

Reactions: PeteFace

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
ideal that your local is the only place making them.