Newbie needs advice on battery

Dkmax

Just Joined
Jan 23, 2020
Hi everyone, I just got a second hand Elysium Relay for my 64th birthday bought by my wife, I intend to use it to & from work most days. My problem is with the battery, I saw the bike working before I got it home, I put the battery on charge & noticed a small spark from the charging port as I connected the charger. Now the bike doesn't work on battery power. When I switch the LED display on it shows that there is not enough power in the battery, but the lights on the battery shows it is fully charged. I have also noticed that I can turn the LED display on without having the battery switched on. I'm thinking the battery is blown, has any of you experienced anything like this before? Would be grateful to have some advice on what my options might be, is it a new battery required or could this one be repaired? Many thanks in advance.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
There are battery repairers around and someone will be along shortly with more knowledge on them as I have never used any of them and i won't recommend anyone unless I've personally used them
Best of luck

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A small spark is unlikely to indicate an issue.
Could be the LED has small internal battery to keep it going while the main battery isn't connected is why it is working.

Maybe the main battery isn't quite properly seated to make connections is why it isn't working. You should be able to check the battery with a digital meter (around £10 if you haven't got one). The specs for that bike don't give a nominal voltage. A fully charged nominal 36v battery should be around 42v.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It isn't uncommon for batteries to spark when charging/plugging in.
Without the battery being opened there's little chance of seeing if any damage has been done. Firstly though you need to check the voltage at the battery discharge contacts with a meter to verify the actual voltage output.

Dkmax

Just Joined
Jan 23, 2020
Thank you everyone for your comments they were all very helpful. The nominal voltage is 41.7. As it was mentioned that a small spark would be unlikely to cause an issue I thought I would bypass the lead from the display with a spare which came with the bike & found that a pin had been bent when reconnecting the leads the other day. So I do have a working bike again & thank you all for your time & input.

Reactions: Nealh and sjpt