Newbie - Recumbent Pedlec Rider

IanP

Just Joined
Oct 17, 2018
Hi all, just joined the forum and have a KMX Venom recumbent So far the bike has covered 1800 miles using a Falco 500w rear cassette drive. However KMX owner Barry has just fitted for me (on friday 21/10) a brand new YOCH Mid drive, 48v with a 46t front sprocket. He also upgraded the tiagra 9 speed to a 10 speed ultegra rear set 36-11, in addition I am about to add a shimano Alfine hub gear set also.

Currently running Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres as I use this bike to commute 30+ mile round trip 3 times a week and changing a rear wheel inner tube on a recumbent is not fun

Boring stuff as this is my winter bike;

I run cateye 800 front with a Chinese cheap hi power light set up for back up, dual cateye rears mounted on the headrest and on the right wheel to give passing cars a agauge of my width. In addition I have just got a bracket to have a 3rd rear light on my flag.

The flag is wrapped in reflective tape, I also have created a reflective K using the tape on both sides of the the flag pendant for extra visibility, as is the front and rear of the frame.

I have panniers for carrying the laptop + lunch to work.

I ride about 2.5-3k miles a year commuting mostly, but also do Audax rides and the London to Brighton

Some pics https://imgur.com/a/HiLq9z8

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Welcome! Coincidence has it I was looking at improving lighting to the rear yesterday afternoon as the dark season approaches.

I think I shall go for b+m secula battery powered lights on both front mudguards. I am going to go the full blinker + brake light route as well eventually.

Reactions: IanP

IanP

Just Joined
Oct 17, 2018
Welcome! Coincidence has it I was looking at improving lighting to the rear yesterday afternoon as the dark season approaches.

I think I shall go for b+m secula battery powered lights on both front mudguards. I am going to go the full blinker + brake light route as well eventually.
Last year I bought a cheap waterproof battery powered red christmas tree lights and wound them up the flagpole, worked great but was not easy to store the battery pack and looked a little DIY.

Brake light would be quite cool :)

Stradaman

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2018
North West
Welcome Ian, your trike looks awesome and its nice to see its not just me who's a little OTT when it comes to seeing and being seen at night [emoji16]

Last edited:
Reactions: IanP