Newbie wants to mod KTM eCross P for trails

Shucker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 7, 2015
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been covered but I haven't had any luck finding info in the forum.

The bike has a 47V 250W Panasonic Rear Hub and I'd like some more speed out of it. I don't want/need a lot more but sometimes you just want to cover more ground more quickly.

I haven't come across any mods/delimiters for this rear hub anywhere. Ideally, I'd love some kind of dongle I can unplug/remove for city use, and then be able to plug back in when needed.

Would really appreciate any info you may have...

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 4366

Unfortunately, you've bought the wrong bike if you want to hack the speed. The only guy with the wherewithal to do it, the importer our Colin, doesn't like people tuning his bikes. If you do find a way to modify it, whatever you do, don't tell anybody what you've done otherwise your bike will be blacklisted for warranty.

I've never studied one close up, but as it's a hub-motor, the controller should get its speed signal from within the motor, probably directly from one of the hall sensors since it doesn't have a clutch. That would make it impossible to hack through hardware, but I bet you can adjust the speed in the software if you had the programming device.

I know other brands that will lend you their device to reprogram their bikes, but it would be a cold day in hell before Colin would do that.

Hi.

Yes, I'm afraid d8veh is correct, the liability risks for us to tell you how to de-restrict your bike are simply too great for us to want to have anything to do with making your bike illegal.

Also just for your reference... it'll be just as illegal and just as risky from an insurance / liability risk using the bike on the trails as it is in the city. The only place you can use a de-restricted bike in the UK is on private land that does not have public access.

So far we've not found anyone who actually has access to land like this to use their bike, so we've still not been able to sell anyone a KTM sPedelec :(

If you want more information on this, I'm more than happy to discuss it with you.

Regards
Col

Reactions: Shucker

Shucker

Mar 7, 2015
Thanks guys... I recognize that it would still be considered illegal to use on trails (not busy, manicured trails, mind you) ... but at least out there the only person I'm going to injure is myself.

In any case, it's still something I'll be investigating as we do travel a fair bit into Europe and, as a Canadian living in England, I'd like to have the option to increase the speed should I move back there (32 km/h) or to another country with higher limits.

I'm sure it'll come with time as ebike popularity increases. For now, I'm enjoying the ability to get out on the roads for extended periods of time... something I've been unable to do for years with my old beat up knees.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Chinese bikes are the easiest to hack. Normally, the hacking is cost free, and if you overdo it, replacement parts are pretty cheap too. If you build your own, it can go as fast as you want. What about getting a used bike as a donor and converting it to electric for when you want a fast bike?

Reactions: Shucker
Thanks guys... I recognize that it would still be considered illegal to use on trails (not busy, manicured trails, mind you) ... but at least out there the only person I'm going to injure is myself..
not wishing to argue with any of your points... but the chances of problems offroad are just as high.

Imagine coming around the corner in a forest a spooking a horse and rider, or hitting someone's dog or child out for a walk, or even another cyclist.

All these things do happen, all the time - and I've been riding MTB around the UK for 25 years now.

I know I'm a bit of a doom merchant on this, particularly on here. I just want to make sure the other side of the case is presented, because the case for riding illegal bikes in the UK is always put as "well you'll never get caught" or "the chances of something happening are very small". Both of which are true, but one shouldn't venture out into public on an illegal vehicle with a real understanding of the risks you're taking.

Shucker

Mar 7, 2015
I am aware of the risks and aware of my surroundings and where I ride. Back when my knees weren't trashed I was biking much faster than 32 km/h on streets and trails as do many riders on normal bikes. Thanks.

Shucker

Mar 7, 2015
What about getting a used bike as a donor and converting it to electric for when you want a fast bike?
Yeah, I'm definitely considering that as an option. I'm not the all that mechanically inclined but have a couple of people who may be able to assist with putting it together. Hanging on to my original bike for just such an occasion. :)

I am aware of the risks and aware of my surroundings and where I ride. Back when my knees weren't trashed I was biking much faster than 32 km/h on streets and trails as do many riders on normal bikes. Thanks.
Hi.

Yes, I fully appreciate that, what we keep trying to say is that if you have an accident on your normal bike, its just an accident.

if you have an accident on a de-restricted eBike you are in a potential whole world of trouble. It'll be the same as riding a Motorcross bike in the woods in terms of your liability.

If you're going to break the law, make sure you understand it. Its not about the speed.

Shucker

Mar 7, 2015
My speed comment was a response to an issue that I assumed you were bringing up when talking about spooking a horse or hitting a child (not the potential legal ramifications of riding a modded bike).

It appears to me, by the way that you came into this discussion (foreshadowed by the comment "it would be a cold day in hell before Colin would do that [mod a bike]") that you are mostly concerned about ebikes getting a bad rep and becoming subject to more legislation, thereby causing a negative impact on your import business. If that's the case... fair enough, but you've made your point and, in your most recent post, have done so rather condescendingly. Hopefully, my second foray into the Pedelecs forum (if there is one) will go more pleasantly.

D

Deleted member 4366

You should be OK on your next post as long as you don't mention helmets.

You couldn't have picked a worst topic for your first post. It's just unfortunate that you've got a KTM. If it had been any other brand, you would have got your answer, and then you could have gone off riding your bike as fast as you like while we play with the fireworks.

Reactions: Shucker and Gringo

Shucker

Mar 7, 2015
It's just unfortunate that you've got a KTM.
It's just so dang pretty and really put together well. The others I looked at were kind of Frankenstein-y. More like a conversion than a polished end product. Will do my best not to scuff it up by recklessly colliding with horses and small children.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Shucker, you own a very nice bike. :)

By "trail" do you mean hard packed surfaces, or loose slippery, muddy terrain? I'm only asking, as when I reviewed the e-cross P, I found the OE supplied Schwalbe Mondial tyres to be surprisingly good off road. Slightly unnerving on wet grass descents, but that had more to do with the bike not being mine, and being concerned about the possibility of falling off and damaging it.

Can't wait for my e-RaceP to arrive. :)

If you happen to live in Sussex, I'm usually up for ride, and time permitting, try to get out at least three to four times a week.

Ref helmets, I was glad to be wearing mine last week, as it was the first thing to hit the ground. Mixed feelings now about peaks fitted to them though. Having it ripped off, jarred my neck quite badly.
Helmets look crap when not fitted one, and they do help to keep the sun from your eyes.

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
What's this sun thing Eddie?
And helmets have reduced the damage to my head on more than three occasions .

Head down in white water river multi events.
30 mph vs white Datsun
17 mph vs 4*4
Etc.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My speed comment was a response to an issue that I assumed you were bringing up when talking about spooking a horse or hitting a child (not the potential legal ramifications of riding a modded bike).

It appears to me, by the way that you came into this discussion (foreshadowed by the comment "it would be a cold day in hell before Colin would do that [mod a bike]") that you are mostly concerned about ebikes getting a bad rep and becoming subject to more legislation, thereby causing a negative impact on your import business. If that's the case... fair enough, but you've made your point and, in your most recent post, have done so rather condescendingly. Hopefully, my second foray into the Pedelecs forum (if there is one) will go more pleasantly.
Col grinds this axe time and time again.

He likes to scaremonger, then pat members on the head, telling them they don't understand.

You are not the first person to be patronized in this way,

As someone new to the forum, I believe you should have been spared the full wearisome telling off.

But what I think doesn't matter, and the trade members - including KTM - pay the forum's bills and can make useful contributions.

Their posts just need to be seen for what they are, hopelessly biased and aimed solely at self promotion.

Last edited:

Advertisers