newbie with arthritic hip

pedder63

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2011
Good to be finally on the forum. I live in Devon - pretty hilly. I have arthritis in my back and hip - used to be a keen commuting cyclist but grinding up and down these hills is no longer an option, so I've been considering an e-bike for quite a while. Any other members here have arthritis, and does an e-bike make the differece I'll need do you think? My usual commute is only about 6 miles, and I'm sick of getting in my van every day.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Good to be finally on the forum. I live in Devon - pretty hilly. I have arthritis in my back and hip - used to be a keen commuting cyclist but grinding up and down these hills is no longer an option, so I've been considering an e-bike for quite a while. Any other members here have arthritis, and does an e-bike make the differece I'll need do you think? My usual commute is only about 6 miles, and I'm sick of getting in my van every day.
Hi and welcome,
you will like this forum,i too have changed from a normal bike to an E/bike ,i dont have arthritis
,but i am Diabetic and my legs dont work as well as they did,the Ebike has given me freedom to ride again ,as i am sure it will do for you .very best wishes Brian.

Swinswin25

Jun 1, 2011
Leicester
Hi wellcome I have old Arthur only I went the cheap route got a bike off eBay working and now I've done it up a bit. It's an old powabyke very heavy 6 stone and I'm 16 stone so no small feet a ebike but it's great small effort on hills. I will get a far better one later but this test the waters quite well as it's £25 a day to hire and that's money you'll never see again so hope this helps all the best paul

pedder63

Jun 9, 2011
Thanks guys. I'm currently thinking of the cyclamatic as an intro to the ebike scene. The reviews here seem pretty good, unless anyone has a better idea of an entry bike.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Hi Pedder63, and welcome. I have arthritis in various places and find an ebike a great way of defeating the old B88888d. Go for one with a throttle because it's a wonderful assistant to starting off in a wbble free straight line!
I must admit a slight bias towards JuicyBikes but try before you buy!
May the ewind be ever at your back!
Best wishes,
Tom.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you are tackling those typically tough Devon hills the Cyclamatic will be found wanting since it's one of the lower powered e-bikes. The member who likes them the most and has a couple lives in the Eastern counties where the going is fairly flat. The Juicybike mentioned above is a better choice for hills.

Basically if getting a hub motor bike aim for a 36 volt one, not 24 volt. If you are prepared to spend more and get a crank drive bike where the motor drives through the bike chain and therefore uses the bike's gears, a 24 volt system will be ok. This latter type of bike is a favourite in the Devon area since it handles the steepest hills best, but they are mostly quite expensive.

I know that it can be difficult to do if living in Devon, but it's always best to try out any e-bike you are considering before buying to make sure it's suitable, and worth travelling to do that.