Newbie with loose wire!

Conrad

Just Joined
Dec 3, 2018
Afternoon all.
BIke: D Cycle Discovery 7. Working one day. No Power to front hub motor day after. All led lights working showing full charge. Did not charge it between working and not working, did not drop it so screw drivers out and look what I found.
Questions. Whats the 4 pin connector do and whats it called? I want to extend the 4 wire loom so I can make better connections outside the black casing behind the saddle. Good idea? I have managed to extract the very small pin (Brown wire) but I fear it may have suffered a little on extraction. Shall I try and get a new pin and fit into old block or start again (With prewired 4 block connector) hence the comment about extending the loom as the brown wire is a little tricky and very little slack to work with to get back into old block?
upload_2018-12-3_16-13-41.jpeg

upload_2018-12-3_16-14-3.jpeg

As a last question Would this fault stop the battery delivering power to the hub or after fixing the brown wire will I still be looking for another fault.
Thanking you all in advanceupload_2018-12-3_16-13-41.jpeg upload_2018-12-3_16-14-3.jpeg upload_2018-12-3_16-13-41.jpeg upload_2018-12-3_16-14-3.jpeg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Answer yes most likely why no power, brown will be 5v+ supply.

What the wire connector is from you will need to see if you can trace the other end.
The white wire usually is speed sensing or related. It could be 4 wire pas or led panel ?

Last edited:

Conrad

Just Joined
Dec 3, 2018
Answer yes most likely why no power, brown will be 5v+ supply.

What the wire connector is from you will need to see if you can trace the other end.
The white wire usually is speed sensing or related. It could be 4 wire pas or led panel ?
I am @@ucking gobsmacked and impressed all at the same time. That tiny 3 or 4 strand copper wire not much thicker than a needle is indeed what makes the front hub motor work. With a bit of Heath Robinson (remember him?) I replaced the offending pin with a new one within the 4 block connector (6 inch wire attached) got the soldering iron out and joined up the 2 tags. With some disbelieving I attached the battery, powered up, turned the pedals and the motor kicked in as it should. I am so grateful to you nealh and this forum. Still smiling 3 hours later writing this post. Cheers to all.
PS The bike does have a led light panel showing power 1 to 4 lights and pas level 1to4 also.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Just for clarity those wires don't supply power power to the motor. That's the three thick wires (green yellow blue)

But still a broken connection will stop the co controller working with same effect . No. power to the motor !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
These thin wires probably ranging about 22 / 24 awg size or approx. 0.22/0.33 mm2 are copper or coated/tinned copper and can handle voltage of up to approx. 600v DC so no issue, the critical bit is the mm2 sizing for current load. These small wires only carry small load usually via the Gnd v- wire and typically are very low values < 2a and supply /signal wires to peripheral equipment like led or pas.
The main battery, controller and hub motor wiring will be heavier gauge and for 12- 15a rating draw will typically be 22a awg 16 /1.3 mm2 or 32a awg 14/2.1 mm2.

Last edited:

Advertisers