Newbie with the usual question!

Pitstop

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2019
Essex
Hi
I have a Trek 8.4 DS that I bought in 2013. I haven’t used it more than a dozen times though as I’m just too lazy! I even changed the knobbly tyres for road ones to make it easier to pedal. This one: https://www.rutlandcycling.com/97563/products/trek-84-ds-2013-hybrid-bike.aspx
It's in excellent condition so I’d like to convert it to electric. I’m a motor mechanic by trade so I’m mechanically competent and I have quite a few bike tools including a bike repair stand. I’d like some advice on the best kit to go for. The budget is not a problem but I'd rather get a complete kit from a proven company that can give advice and have a good spares backup - if there is such a thing. I think a rear hub one might be favourite but I’ll be guided by those in the know. One thing I’ve noticed so far - my bike has hydraulic brakes and the kits I’ve seen seem to be for cable operated brakes. Why do you need to change the brake levers? Any suggestions as to what type I will need?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The budget is not a problem but I'd rather get a complete kit from a proven company that can give advice and have a good spares backup - if there is such a thing.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk We were very pleased and so are many others on this site.

One thing I’ve noticed so far - my bike has hydraulic brakes and the kits I’ve seen seem to be for cable operated brakes. Why do you need to change the brake levers? Any suggestions as to what type I will need?
If you have sensors based on pedals turning it is sensible to have a touch on the brakes cut out the motor, otherwise the motor can cut in in an awkward say when making tricky slow maneuvers.

You can get adaptors to add a switch to your existing hydraulic brake levers. eg http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-104-hdbs/pair-of-hydraulic-brake-sensors-for-bbs0102 Also useful if you have integrated brake/gear levers.

If you have torque sensing (typical with crank drive kits) the brake switches are not needed.

Reactions: Pitstop

Pitstop

Oct 11, 2019
Essex
Well, going on the last 6 years, it’ll be a 5 mile road ride and then straight to the back of the garage for another year!
Seriously, I’d like to be able to occasionally commute to work on it on fine, dry days. I work approx 12 miles from home and I’d like to take it out on the odd weekend to a country park that’s about 8 miles away that has a trail on it. No major hill climbs really.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Pitstop

Oct 11, 2019
Essex
Just an update! Nearly two years have passed but I finally got my lazy arse down to Whoosh bikes in Southend on Tuesday. Very helpful chap there. Looked at my bike and told me what kit I needed. Really, really easy to fit. Took me about 90 minutes. Did my first run out with it today - Olympic park in Stratford to Hornchurch. Longest trip I’ve ever done on a bike!

651EDE0D-11DB-4AA9-839F-39EF9ACF56A3.jpeg

Reactions: Woosh