Burroo67

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2020
Clydebank
Hi There,

Just found your site when it came highly recommended on the Internet.

I started to cycle again when the Covid-19 'lock down' began and my wife and I try to get out at least 3 times every week. I currently ride a 7-8 year old Cannondale Hybrid and I love it, it's a superb bike but it's a tad heavy at nigh on 16KG. It's great to ride, but nightmare when I try to get it on the roof rack of my old, rather tall SUV.

I stay 9 miles west of Glasgow and I'm currently working from home. My employer has moved right into the centre of Glasgow so I will not be driving my 3 days per week (partially retired) due to parking costs (once told to return to the office environment). This has led me to look at e-bikes, but it is a minefield.

I work for the Government and my employer has a £1000 limit on the Cycle to Work scheme, nonsense I know as e-bikes are allowed under the scheme. However, there are a couple of ways around this and one of them is a scheme embraced by my employer called Cycle Solutions. This has allowed me to look at bikes around the £2000 mark and I'm willing to consider up to £2400.

I hope you guys can provide me with some suggestions. I have looked at Ribble because of their weight and the Cowboy 3 and the Vanmoof X3 because they are so different in appearance. The Cowboy 3 may be too tall for me as I'm 167cm tall with a 77cm inside leg and the bike is recommended for 170cm and above (Cowboy say I will be fine so if there are any Cowboy 3 riders out there of similar stature to me I'd love to hear from them), Vanmoof have terrible customer service and I have read some bad reviews about the bikes breaking down. I would obviously like to deal with a British supplier due to service and repair needs and I am hoping you guys have the expert knowledge I am looking for and have some suggestions for me....

Many thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The standard UK three to look at for good value bikes and excellent service are Woosh, Juicy and Wisper.

Mainly pretty standard good quality Chinese parts, fairly easy to fix and cheap to replace if really necessary. The best models may be hard to come by right now, though.

I guess it's not too hilly coming in from the west?

Reactions: WallyM

Burroo67

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2020
Clydebank
The standard UK three to look at for good value bikes and excellent service are Woosh, Juicy and Wisper.

Mainly pretty standard good quality Chinese parts, fairly easy to fix and cheap to replace if really necessary. The best models may be hard to come by right now, though.

I guess it's not too hilly coming in from the west?
TBH, no it's not that hilly, it would be struggling against the win d and rain that would make the e-bike essential. I'll have a look at your recommendations. Many thanks