Burroo67

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2020
Clydebank
Hi Guys,
I am new to e-biking having just bought a Giant Fastroad E+1 Pro 202 via my employers Cycle 2 Work scheme. I love the bike and am amazed how it makes light work of hills, I just wish I had it 6 weeks ago when my wife and I went to the Borders for a cycling holiday and I was knackered while she had HER e-bike and was passing me going uphill!!

We'll end up back at the Borders as it was terrific with some lovely, quiet B roads to cycle on - and very few potholes.

I would like to ask a serious question if I may, does anyone ride their e-bike for leisure/commuting that has changed to cleat pedals and shoes and would they recommend their use. Also would I go for MTB type shoes and cleats foe easier walking when off the bike, I'm thinking of winter coming in and slippery pedals?

Many thanks

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I got a pair of hybrid pedals, cleat on one side, flat with grips on the other, My cleat shoes are mtb ones with a half decent tread on them too.
So I have a choice.

Reactions: Burroo67

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I would like to ask a serious question if I may, does anyone ride their e-bike for leisure/commuting that has changed to cleat pedals and shoes and would they recommend their use. Also would I go for MTB type shoes and cleats foe easier walking when off the bike, I'm thinking of winter coming in and slippery pedals?
Not a direct answer, but I use half clips. They keep the feet firmly on the pedals with any shoes (and even wellie boots) but are trivial to get out of when needed.

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
Just like jimriley, I also use pedals with cleats on one side, flat on the other side. My pedals are Shimano PD-A530. This way I can use shoes with cleats when commuting or for longer rides but when I just need to take the bike around town, I wear normal shoes and use the other side of the pedal.

As for shoes, I would highly recommend MTB types shoes that have recessed cleats so you can walk normally when you get off the bike. Additionally, if you plan on commuting in cold weather (< 10 deg C) and/or rain, I would highly recommend spending good money on good MTB shoes that are water proof and warm. And for summer or regular riding get "normal" MTB shoes.

For example for fall/winter and rain riding I use Northwave X Cross GTX. Completely water proof and warm although I need two pairs of socks for anything less than 0 deg C. I don't think this model is made any more but Northwave makes great shoes for winter/rain riding. For all other riding I use Bontrager Evoke shoes. They are nothing special, I bought them on sale and they fit ok. Both of these shoes have recessed cleats so you can walk in them to/from office, changing rooms, shops, etc. or with the Northwave you can walk in wet grass, mud, etc. after trail riding.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Not a direct answer, but I use half clips. They keep the feet firmly on the pedals with any shoes (and even wellie boots) but are trivial to get out of when needed.
Ditto - half toe-clips are perfect for pushing a little harder in confidence, (and also stopping shoes slipping in the wet) but you can still get your feet out easily. You can wear non-cycling shoes too, but I still prefer hard-soled cycling shoes.

They also cost peanuts compared to many bike improvements:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The reverse side clip less is what I use on my bikes, cheap Shimano narrow platforms with reflectors are about £5 a pair.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The joy of using clipless platforms is that one can ride with either with clipless or normal footwear. With added platform the pedal is always upside down for normal shoes so one has to rotate them 180 degrees each time you remove your foot.