News: 50Cycles launch the Kalkhoff Agattu Pedelec

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi all,

some news just sent in to us from the chaps at 50Cycles. Today they have added a new brand to their range with the launch of the Kalkhoff Agattu Pedelec.

Here are the specs lifted from the 50Cycles site. You can visit the page here

# 250W Panasonic motor
# 26V 10Ah Lithium Mn battery
# Only 20.8kg with battery (2.2kg)
# Triple mode pedelec operation
# Extremely quiet, smooth ride
# 7-speed Shimano hub gear
# Cables integrated inside frame
# Kalkhoff Verso adjustable forks
# Shimano hub dynamo
# Front and rear Busch & Muller lights
# Italian-made comfort saddle
# Continental puncture-resistant tyres
# Range of frame sizes available

It's a pure pedelec bike using a 250W Panasonic Motor, driven by a 26V 10Ah Lithium Manganese battery pack. A crank drive runs through a 7-speed Shimano Hub Gear. Equipped with Busch & Muller front and rear lights powered by a Shimano hub dynamo, high quality suspension forks, Pletscher stand, pump, V-brakes, Continental tyres on 28" wheels. The bike is available in 4 frame sizes and total weight is around 21kg, including battery.

Price from the 30th November will be £1328 but a 10% discount is running until then bringing it down to £1195

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi its really good to see the expanding choice at 50cycles as they do seem to try and give good service and now anyone going there can try a good range of bikes

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I took the Agattu for a 25 mile ride on Saturday - from Kingston to and through Weybridge - good, rolling countryside on that leg - and back through Esher to Kingston then over the river and up to Twickenham before returning home. There was plenty of charge remaining (around 30%) which I took to be a good sign given the 15+ stone load it had to carry over that route.

Average speed was 14mph, cruising speed on the flat between 15-17mph depending on mode (eco, standard, high power assistance). The bike manages all this while being almost entirely silent.

It's a joy to ride and we feel it can compete directly with something like the Gazelle Easy Rider or Biketec Flyer range (both of which we tried out at IFMA), but offering similar comfort and possibly greater performance at a much lower price. If ever there was a worthy successor to the Giant Lafree, we think this is the one.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I see this as really good news, not qualified in any way. For the first time it's a step forward from the Lafree Twist series on any bike fitted with the latest Panasonic power unit. Here's why this onetime Twist owner thinks that:

It's the lightest of any of the full size models, and fully 8 kilos lighter than the Gazelle Easy Glider, despite it's very full specification and front suspension forks.

It has a high power mode, answering a common complaint from those who felt other bikes with this power unit lack outright power in some circumstances. There's a high power version of the Swiss Bike-Tech models, but it costs about half as much again as the Kalkhoff model.

The battery at 10 Ah is streets ahead of the 6.5 Ah under-batteried Lafree, giving great range from this economical motor. It's also only just over half the weight of the earlier battery.

The high quality very puncture resistant Continental tyres, far better than the standard Chinese tyres on most bikes these days. You'll find many internet accounts of the puncture resistance, seemingly as good as the Marathon Plus due to it's kevlar layer.

It's the lowest priced of all the Panasonic motored bikes available in the UK, and by very big margins, a real bargain.

Who would it suit? Anyone really, but in particular it's perfect for the those having long and/or very steep climbs, particularly if their cycling ability isn't as good as it once was. Like all these drive through gear bikes, it will climb just about anything, but will be faster than many of them if wanted by use of the high power mode. It's obviously suitable for anyone needing fairly long range too.

For those with worries about Lithium batteries, they are most suited to motor systems like this, moderately powered with the best of software management of power delivery, and the Panasonic unit has always been acknowledged as the leader in this respect. The BionX motor which has certain software similarities also has excellent lithium battery life and performance as the members with them have testified. I wouldn't be at all concerned about buying the Kalkhoff and would definitely add it to my fleet if I had somewhere to put it!

Last edited:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi does this bike have three positions on control switch unlike the lafree which just had 2 positions

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hi does this bike have three positions on control switch unlike the lafree which just had 2 positions
Better than that, it has separate switching of power and mode to give the combination needed as seen on the right here:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
thanks it sounds like it could be quite a useful bike be interesting to here some comments when people try it

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
That looks like a really promising machine. I'd been pondering a Gazelle for my next machine but was put off by reports of its weight. Well done 50cycles for expanding consumer choice.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
For those with worries about Lithium batteries, they are most suited to motor systems like this, moderately powered with the best of software management of power delivery, and the Panasonic unit has always been acknowledged as the leader in this respect.
And a two year warranty on the battery (and bike) as well. This looks great - are there any pictures of the boy's version? Well done 50 cycles I am very tempted - just got to get my work to bring in the cycle to work scheme.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I understand one is heading to A to B for testing so there will be a report in a future issue, possibly the next one, January.

I'm also hoping to have a brief trial in a couple of weeks time so will be able to say more then.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hope you try it on some hills flecc. but thats just my obsession coming out
its good to see more consumer choice

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hope you try it on some hills flecc. but thats just my obsession coming out
its good to see more consumer choice
No question of that, I have a 14% (1 in 7) at the front and a short 22.5% (1 in 4.5) just below my property, so those will be ridden.

But knowing the power unit as I do, and it's abilities when combined with a 7 speed hub gear, there wouldn't be any problem with those anyway, just a matter of assessing how fast this latest version climbs in high power mode.

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
That looks like a really promising machine. I'd been pondering a Gazelle for my next machine but was put off by reports of its weight. Well done 50cycles for expanding consumer choice.
I took the Gazelle for a test ride, but found it's weight offputting compared to my LaFree Twist Lite, which I can ride like a normal bike with the power switched off on the flat and downhill very easily, and even uphill if I remove the battery. Looks like a contender as a replacement for my Twist has finally arrived.

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
Hi everyone,

I may have missed something here but is the high power switch something that simply increases power for acceleration and hill speed or does it mean that the speed limiter is switched off and the power can be used for extra speed. I am assunming the former rather than the latter although would be interested in any reviews clarifying this point.

It is going to be a month for new bikes - I gather the new Wisper 905 se is arriving this month.

John

Chris

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hello Flecc-am so impressed with the AGATTU-exactly what I was looking for-that have ordered one from Scott today-delivery late Nov.

Chris

MazB

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Hi,

This looks like a really nice bike and its about time the "nice" bikes are coming in a range of sizes so us shorties can have a choice at last.

I have a problem though, my hubby thinks I'm becoming a mini Flecc LOL as I have my Urban Mover and my kit job on my Trek and he says I can't have a third :mad:

Anyways well done 50 cycles for bringing another leccy bike to the market.

Maz.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

well done fifty cycles looks a nice lean sleek machine and good on those hills:D at last a replacement for the giant twist lite plus just over 20 kilos:)