News - DfT: Pedal cycles converted to ‘twist and go’ exempt from type approval

Pedelecs

Editorial
May 20, 2015
The Department for Transport has today confirmed to Pedelecs that an ordinary cycle, already ridden on public roads as such and subsequently converted to a ‘twist and go’ electric bike, will not require type approval.

The DfT further clarified that type approval ‘only applies to new vehicles, not converted ones’.

The latest guidance on conversions follows on from news that electric bikes manufactured as a ‘twist and go’ from January 2016 will require type approval.

Their response reiterates that ‘twist and go’ type approval requirements are directed at the manufacturers, meaning that ‘riders making conversions are not committing an offence’ (with regard to type approval requirements).

It is also our understanding that, since not all cyclists are technically proficient in fitting conversion kits to a bike, that conversion can also be carried out by a business, so long as the bike in question has been ridden on public roads before conversion (i.e. the bike is not considered ‘new’).

Full story:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/dft-pedal-cycles-converted-twist-go-exempt-type-approval/

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It sounds like some common sense being applied for a change, power to the DIY home builder. All we now need is little more common being applied to allow 20 mph cut off and upto 500w motor with no type approval.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All we now need is little more common being applied to allow 20 mph cut off and upto 500w motor with no type approval.
No chance of that ever happening for the pedelec class, but if ever the DfT permit the S class, both would be permitted.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The Department for Transport has today confirmed to Pedelecs that an ordinary cycle, already ridden on public roads as such and subsequently converted to a ‘twist and go’ electric bike, will not require type approval.

The DfT further clarified that type approval ‘only applies to new vehicles, not converted ones’.

The latest guidance on conversions follows on from news that electric bikes manufactured as a ‘twist and go’ from January 2016 will require type approval.

Their response reiterates that ‘twist and go’ type approval requirements are directed at the manufacturers, meaning that ‘riders making conversions are not committing an offence’ (with regard to type approval requirements).

It is also our understanding that, since not all cyclists are technically proficient in fitting conversion kits to a bike, that conversion can also be carried out by a business, so long as the bike in question has been ridden on public roads before conversion (i.e. the bike is not considered ‘new’).

Full story:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/dft-pedal-cycles-converted-twist-go-exempt-type-approval/
Wow,that opens a whole 'can of worms'.
Absolute madness,hehe.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
So the message is if you want a throttle, DIY or get someone to convert it for you.

The bike only has to have been ridden (presumably not before Jan 2016) to count as a conversion.

Good news!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kudoscycles

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
so what stops a customer retrofit a throttle?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
so what stops a customer retrofit a throttle?
It's not a conversion of an existing bicycle, it's a conversion of something that is only on the road without type approval due to the 168/2013 exemption. Adding a throttle breaches the exemption, making it unconditionally illegal with no path to legality.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it seems that the present concession to kit builders represents an unfair treatment toward the suppliers. They can't get type approval for their bikes at the moment. Also, does automatic lighting compulsory for e-bikes?

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
it seems that the present concession to kit builders represents an unfair treatment toward the suppliers. They can't get type approval for their bikes at the moment. Also, does automatic lighting compulsory for e-bikes?
I think the daytime lights come when type aprovel comes.All new motor bikes have to have them from Jan 2016.I think this new statement finally makes a homebuilt bike legal.As for selling new bikes some where selling bikes with throttle ready to be connected.It is now legal for the person buying the bike to plug it in.Unless what flec means above is the dft just can't make a statement,legislation has to be passed to make the throttle legal.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The lighting rule applies only on type approved pedelecs, since the conversions avoid the law by being outside it.

It is unfair as you say, but just an accident of fate.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unless what flec means above is the dft just can't make a statement,legislation has to be passed to make the throttle legal.
The DfT has made a statement, effectively saying that conversions with throttles have no law preventing them fitting into the existing UK EAPC law.

No legislation needs to be passed to make their throttles legal since there's nothing in law to say they are illegal.

In effect for self builds only we've returned to the UK's early EAPC law which didn't specify how power should be applied, therefore allowing throttles by default.

Reactions: craiggor

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
The lighting rule applies only on type approved pedelecs, since the conversions avoid the law by beimng outside it.

It is unfair as you say, but just an accident of fate.
I think when the lighting law comes in to force homebuilders will have to follow that,we are not totally outside the law.

• Useful
Reactions: Funnelly

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think when the lighting law comes in to force homebuilders will have to follow that,we are not totally outside the law.
I rather doubt it because it's a supply law for manufacturers selling into the EU, their pedelecs having to be equipped witn automatic lights. There isn't such a law for self builds, basically there's no law allowing self builds but no law preventing them, so they can exist through a loophole in the law.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I rather doubt it because it's a supply law for manufacturers selling into the EU, their pedelecs having to be equipped witn automatic lights. There isn't such a law for self builds, basically there's no law allowing self builds but no law preventing them, so they can exist through a loophole in the law. They are in partial limbo, the pedelecs law cannot see them, though the bicycle law can.
The way you say that sounds like over 250w home builds are legal.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the DfT seem to say that type approval is only applicable to manufacturers and importers, not to individuals. I still can't see the difference between a push bike object becoming 'permitted bike' once hitting the public pathways outside their home and an EAPC in the same situation. What is the difference between fitting a twist and go throttle to a converted push bike and an EAPC?
Same question if the individual converting an EAPC by changing the throttle setting in the LCD from 4mph to a 15mph?

Last edited:

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
My understanding is that type approval is only applicable to newly manufactured items. So an e-bike coming off the production process complete with twist and go is a complete, new 'vehicle' is subject to type approval.

However an ordinary pedal cycle, which is considered 'second-hand' (by virtue of the fact that it has been ridden on the road it would seem) can then subsequently be fitted with a conversion kit that includes twist and go power delivery, because it's a conversion it isn't then subject to TA; essentially therefore getting to the point of it being a twist and go has been in two stages.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The way you say that sounds like over 250w home builds are legal.
No, the pedelec usage law still applies with respect to maximum power and assist speed limit.. The throttle is only by the default of the Type Approval loophole.

Reactions: craiggor

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the DfT seem to say that type approval is only applicable to manufacturers and importers, not to individuals.
That's correct, type approval had never applied to individual builds or grey imports. For them Single Vehicle Approval exists. But there is nothing in 168/2013 about self builds, it's legislation for manufacturers only, so self builds fall outside of it's remit and can exist in a loophole where power doesn't have to stop when pedalling ceases in accordance with exemption (h).

Since type approval doesn't apply, the proviso in the amended EAPC regulations requiring type approval for pedelecs with throttles in acordance with 168/2013 can be ignored.

The remaining law on power and assist speed limit still applies since that's the national law in the EAPC regulations.

I still can't see the difference between a push bike object becoming 'permitted bike' once hitting the public pathways outside their home and an EAPC in the same situation. What is the difference between fitting a twist and go throttle to a converted push bike and an EAPC?
Same question if the individual converting an EAPC by changing the throttle setting in the LCD from 4mph to a 15mph?
My above answer is the difference, not logical in any way, but just through a gap in the law.