News: New Forest Electric Bike Rally

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
After the fun of the second Presteigne Electric Bike Rally, we now have another electric bike event to be added to the schedule for 2007.

We should be receiving more details over the next week or so, but for date and location, please visit:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/categories/Events-Calendar/

cheers
Russ.

Russell Scott
Pedelecs UK

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's good news Russ, getting closer!

One day we might even have a couple inside the M25 circle. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Be patient John, there could be plenty that's good coming your way. :) You're about to get a congestion charge very close to you it seems :eek:, bringing a big increase in cycling and e-biking if our London experience is anything to go by.

You'll have plenty of users to attend such an M60 event then.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
:) Lord I hope so. To coin an expression, I feel like '..the only gay in the village..'. I think if you came to Manchester Flecc, you would feel like you had gone back 10 years, I cycled the 11 miles back in rush hour on A roads (got sick of mud) and only saw 2 other cyclists at all tonight, both on featherwieght racers.

And I have no choice in a lot of areas but to go on the pavements, gridlocked and 6 inches from the kerb is no good for bikes, same at junctions. You are 100 yards away from the junction (where I am turning left) and cant get any closer unless I hop on the pave.

The council have put those green squares at the head of a lot of junctions though, however they are mostly completely useless, as a) you cant get to the head of the junction as the lanes are too narrow, and b) 99% the cars ignore and drive on them anyway.

Funnily though, a friend of mine has just got a brand new Lotus Elise, and we were laughing together at how we both do 5000 miles a year, but I do it faster than him (I avg 13.5 mph, he avg 10.5mph) :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know that's been true of Manchester traffic for years. I used to have a colleague operating there who moaned every time we were on the phone about the driving conditions. A congestion charge zone is exactly what's needed to sort that out, as long as they make it big enough so that people don't just skirt round the edge and cause a different chaos instead.

Those cycle zones at the head of traffic light queues are often ignored here too, and some motorists deliberately swerve to block the cycle lane approaches after just passing a bike. I'm a confident enough cyclist to take to the centre or outside of two car lanes motor cycle fashion though, and get to the head of the queue that way when they do that, just to confound them.

alanterrill

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2006
The Wisper bikes site also mentions The London O2 Pedelec Rally in October -anyone know any more about this?

Alan Terrill

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
The Wisper bikes site also mentions The London O2 Pedelec Rally in October -anyone know any more about this?

Alan Terrill
Hi Alan,

this is part of the larger "The Sustainability Show". Unfortunately I don't have any further details at present but as I soon as I find out more, I'll post it on here straight away.

cheers
Russ
Russell Scott
Pedelecs UK

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Inside the M25

Hi Flecc

Your wishes have been answered!

First of all there is a Cycle Extravaganza at the Camden Green Event in the summer to be held in Regents' Park, I don't have the dates at home but we will be there and I believe the lads from 50 Cycles will be showing their range too. I will post details on Tuesday.

As for the O2 (Millennium Dome) event as Russ says it will be a part of the larger The Sustainability Show which will include displays from many multinationals. i.e. BMW will be showing their new hydrogen car and we hope Tesla will be attending with the new 130 mph 0-60mph in 4 seconds electric sports car.

The highlight of the event will be a 1 hour rally of Pedelecs (200w under 15.5 mph top powered speed etc) and another for Electric bikes (All the rest)which will be held on Sunday 28th October.

As I get more info I will post it.

So Flecc we look forward to meeting you at last!

Best regards David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks David, but you might see me before that at New Milton in July.

Once I'd got permanently out of Central London after retirement I've avoided it like the plague ever since, and public transport to the central area holds no attraction for me. The Dome and Regent's Park is taking "inside the M25" to extremes!

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Frank
haven't got enough batteries to make it from Grimsby,:D but if powabyke are there can you see if you find any thing about the lithium battery that might make it worth while for me.
as i understand it,twice the life of lead acid at half the weight,well the weight of lead acid is no problem to me with the alloy frame,twice the life of lead acid at three times the price doesn't equate as value for money and i get plenty of range with lead acid:confused:
i may be missing something but cant see what.
mike.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I shall look out for Powabyke.

While it would be nice to lose 8kg of weight from the bike, I'm inclined to agree that the case for upgrading to Li is not too tempting given the price. I would wait until the lead acid battery wears out and see what is available then. Give them a bit more time to iron out the defects in the new batteries and for the price to come down a bit!

Frank

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

I think the time to buy will be when powabyke sells bike and battery together which at the moment they dont its normally a case of you need to contact your local dealer for a lithium with a cost of £350 as others have said its a waiting game.nigel

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Li battery

I agree, Nigel - I hadn't realised they weren't selling their bikes new with Lithium batteries but I've looked just at a dealer's site and that certainly is the case!

I guess they want to keep the headline price down but in the long run they wont be competitive unless they at least offer the Lithium as an option at point of sale.

Frank

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Regents Park event - 50 Cycles but no Wisper!

I went along. Beautiful day for it!

50 Cycles were there. I already know their products reasonably well, but interesting to see a Forte and Forza in the flesh. I thought the Forte looked good but the Forza (black one) which looks cool in the pictures wasn't quite as convincing. My wife wanted to try a Sprint but disappointingly (for me!) she thought it wasnt quite right.

There were some electric cars and motorbikes/scooters but, disappointingly, no other electric bike manufacturers. I had thought Wisper was going to be there but nowhere to be seen.

It was all part of a bigger 'sustainability' event. Well attended, must have been a few thousand there. Felt a bit like a festival!

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Glad you had a good day Frank.

I'm particularly surprised at Wisper, considering they posted to me in here looking forward to seeing me there! Oh well, they say they'll be at New Milton and I understand they have a dealer there, so at least the 905e should be there.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

I will try to go to the new forest advent its on my doorstep its a shame i am working the night before but will give it a go i also would like to try the wisper will 50 cycles be there and might meet flecc:D :) NIGEL

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your working life is planned miles in advance Nigel, you already know what's happening 14th July!

I think 50cycles are going to New Milton, and I'm going to try to be there if circumstances permit.