Next project: light assist bike

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I've been messing with electric bikes for a few years now, and as a result I'm a bit fitter than I was before. Still no superman, but I regularly cycle un-powered.

Problem is anywhere from my house involves some kind of steep hill. It puts me off and gives me an excuse to sit on my (slightly less) fat R's.

So I'm gonna sell some of my kit to fund a light assist, pedal sensor bike.

I've probably built 20 or so for friends, so I'm no stranger to a DIY conversion, but I have always gone for plenty of power, large batteries and throttle control.

I have a few spare 250w SWX motors in 26" rims, so will probably aim to use one of those (nothing set in stone so far).

Battery: I don't need anymore than 10ah. Don't need to go more than 15miles.

Speed: don't need to be assisted over 15mph.

Control: I want pedal/torque sensor.

Who has used the BMSb torque simulation controllers?
Any good? What did you think?

What about the controllers that are built into the 09 batteries? Any experiences?

29er? I'm 6ft, and I have spare 29er laying around. It would mean rebuilding a hub motor, or buying one. Worth the effort?

Any suggestions welcome.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Control: I want pedal/torque sensor.

Who has used the BMSb torque simulation controllers?
Any good? What did you think?

What about the controllers that are built into the 09 batteries? Any experiences?

29er? I'm 6ft, and I have spare 29er laying around. It would mean rebuilding a hub motor, or buying one. Worth the effort?
I am not sure if mine is torque simulation one or not, I read it somewhere that it was I think. But get yourself a 12 magnet PAS disk it makes the world of difference on a sine wave controller.

I have a 09 torque simulation controller in front of me as I type but it has never been plugged in - wrong plugs for my old bike... Is going on my current build so that I can get 18 Amps for the GSM mid drive.

I would definitely build the motor into a 29er rim and I am only 179 cm (5'10.5")

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I wouldn't have thought that you need a 29er for climbing steep hills?

My use of 'Steep' is probably wrong to be fair. I can conquer them on the manual 29er, it just knackers me so much that I can't do much more, then I won't re-attempt for months.

I think 201 rpm would be OK in 29er, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort to rebuild the wheel.

What's your opinion Eddie?

Reactions: EddiePJ

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Going down steep hills! That is where all the fun is :D

Yes the bigger wheels will require more power to climb the hills but they help smooth the ride and go faster on the way down.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sorry Alan I really don't know.

From riding side by side with pedal mtb riders on 26" and 29" whilst I'm on 27.5, the order of coasting down hill with slowest first is 26, 27.5 with 29 pulling lengths way.

I assume that climbing would be the reverse order.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm not really interested in downhill speed. This bike is not for sport, but fitness. (Such as it is!)

I have plenty of other toys to get my speed kick from, I'm only getting rid of my CST kit because I don't use it and it doesn't give me enough exercise.

So, I think I'll stay at 26, at least for now.

Reactions: EddiePJ