Nexus 8 spd with roller brake

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
just this week I have bought a kudos tourer 8 spd , I have concerns over the reliability of the hub,after searching on line about removal of back wheel for Punctures and things relative to maintenance .

What struck me were the number of comments regarding failure of the gear internals of the Shimano hub,which I thought might have been reliable, thse may hav been related to early ones ,the later ones might be better.

I have had no problems with mine yet, has anyone else experienced trouble with theirs?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi,you should have no concern about failures of the internals of the Nexus 8speed hub. Some 3 years ago all Shimano nexus hubs were upgraded to the Alfine specification with its stronger internals,this happened prior to Kudos producing bikes so all Kudos internal hubs are to the Alfine spec. The only advantage that the Alfine hub now has its it's ability to mount a disc brake.
There have been recent concerns by Shimano when fitted to Bosch crank drive bikes,with the greater low speed torque that can be generated by that motor when combined with powerful rider power. But this seems overdone,I think it is Shimano protecting itself with the large number of that combination in Germany,I don't think any UK rider has had a failure with Bosch plus Shimano Nexus combination.
If you look on the dates of those postings you should find they are very aged.
I am currently designing my 2014 bikes and one high end Kudos bike will include the Nexus hub connected to a 60 Nm crank drive motor.
Rest easy,it is a very reliable component.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
If you search Wikipedia shimano Alfine it gives a very detailed of the Shimano internal hub history. I noticed at the end they are releasing for 2013 an Alfine hub with electronic shifting!
Dave
Kudoscycles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What struck me were the number of comments regarding failure of the gear internals of the Shimano hub,which I thought might have been reliable, thse may hav been related to early ones ,the later ones might be better.

I have had no problems with mine yet, has anyone else experienced trouble with theirs?
No need to worry. When this 8 speed hub was first released it did have failure problems, but Shimano very quickly attended to those. All the later models are very reliable.

The roller brake is also very reliable and in any case is a separate easily detached item.