Nick here from Gtech

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Ah, you want to find the negatives of the bike!

I on the other hand was going to be looking at the positives of the bike. :D
On the contrary, I've got the perfect commuter route. 14 miles round trip, with a smattering of rolling climbs. I'm willing to ride in any weather to provide a truthful and honest account of the bike, good or bad ;)

P.s. I think you'd rather test that eScent though :p

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Nick, the above bike doesn't come up along side your other two bikes on website, and whilst the wording Escent is shown at the bottom of the page, the link to it doesn't work. You might want to take a look into that.
You're right about the eScent though Eddie. Only shows up on the small drop-down menu at the top of the page. Consumers wouldn't even know it existed if looking elsewhere on the main page.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You're right about the eScent though Eddie. Only shows up on the small drop-down menu at the top of the page. Consumers wouldn't even know it existed if looking elsewhere on the main page.
When you 'checkout', after the 'build your bike' option, the price comes up.

Dogs, e-MTB's, Worcestershire and videos. I can do that. But I'll let you guys negotiate it out. I've too many bikes already. :)

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I just happened to see it when I looked at Google images of "Gtech ebike". Prior to that I wasn't aware of it.

All joking aside towards Nick and Gtech, the terrain here isn't really ideal for the Gtech Sports or City, and that isn't meant as a negative towards the bike. I live on a 14% gradient hill.
Even when reviewing the Karoo, it wasn't really until venturing into Tunbridge Wells and riding around the town, that things clicked perfectly into place. It had been brilliant fun riding around the lanes and country side, but it felt at it's happiest in an urban environment.

Some time back when the Gtech momentarily took centre stage of the forum I was tempted to buy one, review it, then return it after the 14 day period. I didn't on the basis that it wouldn't have been fair on the company to take advantage of them in that way. I'd hate to think of someone taking advantage of me in that way, and certainly wouldn't do it to others.

It would be good to have the chance to review the Sport version of the bike, especially around Tunbridge Wells, but the eScent would make more sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
When you 'checkout', after the 'build your bike' option, the price comes up.

Dogs, e-MTB's, Worcestershire and videos. I can do that. But I'll let you guys negotiate it out. I've too many bikes already. :)
Too many dogs too. I'll take the one in the videos off your hands ;)

Nick_Gtech

Just Joined
Jan 13, 2017
Worcester, UK
I can see I'll have my hands full with you lot ;)
I can make a bike available for reviews easily enough. It's getting it around that can be difficult, though there are couriers.

Anyone is welcome to drop in to Worcester and do a free trial, we've got plenty of canals, bike tracks and even a little 0.5km on-site circuit.

We do sometimes have 'recon' bikes which have been out on 14 day trials and are as new other than having been ridden. I can find out about making them available to Pedelecs members if anyone fancies it.
Nick

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
It's a shame you can't do a deal with a few bike shops around the country to have a demonstrator and allow them to become resellers (some customers don't like distance selling).

They could handle the order for the customer from yourselves. Obviously you would have to make that viable and it may dent your profits, on the flip side you may sell more units to make it worthwhile?.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Nick we are up for more manufacturers. Although the idea of making stuff in the uk is old hat now.
More bikers means more competition and economy of scale.
And perhaps even the minister of transport treating us with respect ✊

Christian Gardner

Just Joined
Sep 26, 2018
Hi Nick! I know I’m necro'ing this thread, but there is still too little real info out there for this bike. I own one, and commute 30 miles a day on it. First off, despite the below I love it.

· I've had to make some mods. Bar hand grips, daft slide on rubber ergo whatsits. Nope. Replaced with lockon normal grips. So when they wear out I don’t have to spend 2 hours getting the old ones off. Hand grips wear out you know J

· No bottle cage mounts (seriously WTF?). Seat post mount added. I still need to drink water when I’m pedalling regardless of whether I get a bit of help or not from that motor)

· Speed controller - seems to limit it to 13.5mph, not 15.5mph tested with Garmin 820 in loads of different scenarios (downhill road, gravel, uphill road,gravel etc). Its also pretty rubbish for going up rough hills. and by 'rough hills' i mean the 6ft cobble canal locks. Granted some are quite steep.

· Seat. That is an uncomfortable seat. Though I am still using it, but I added a suspension post…

· The gates Carbon drive is lovely, however, the second generation of this bike, with the eScent battery, has a basic level CDN front chainring, i.e. it’s plastic! Seriously again, WTF? I broke that within the first 100miles. I checked on the Gates website and it says that chainring is for the very basic level of cycling. So I guess in my case, not suitable for 30miles a day down the canal (really?). I've replaced that as well for the CDX metal version.

· Your warranty and customer service are great. They were awesome in getting my bike back to me, well they were nice to me on the phone. It took 3 attempts to get it right. The first time I got sent 2 empty battery boxes to send my bike back in. The second time I was sent the wrong bike. We got there in the end, and I have the new bike – still, it must cost you a fortune to send out a whole new bike for just a broken component…

Please can your guys have a look at that top speed and power – perhaps the battery could be increased?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc